What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
It's official. It's not drugs or hooning in cars or dumb shit misadventure - it's teens and young adults self harming.

Suicide is the most common cause of death now in Australia for young people aged 15-24 years. Add the negative shit towards LGBTQI+ and the Voice right now and our most fragile teens in marginalised sectors need our support more than ever. If you don’t take it seriously or people in your circle don’t take it seriously, then politely tell them that real people are involved.

Gronk

Staff member
I went to St Vincents Hospice today in Darlo. We all grew up with a family who were close to us and they had a daughter my age. She married a much older guy who has since passed. They have two boys in their 20’s.

Anyway, she was diagnosed with breast cancer abt 10 years ago in her 40’s. Double mastectomy, but it came back. And back. And back. It’s now in her bones, in her brain. Her tummy is like she is 9 months pregnant and they drain it of fluid every week or so. She has a few weeks to live and I said goodbye today.

We have been in mourning for ages so my big upsets are in the past and TBH we just joked today about the dickheads who argue against voluntary euthanasia. They should have been there today to answer to her suffering. She would have given them a gobful. She’s a theatre nurse by trade. A tough broad.

Anyway, cancer sucks. So do dickheads.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I went to St Vincents Hospice today in Darlo. We all grew up with a family who were close to us and they had a daughter my age. She married a much older guy who has since passed. They have two boys in their 20’s.

Anyway, she was diagnosed with breast cancer abt 10 years ago in her 40’s. Double mastectomy, but it came back. And back. And back. It’s now in her bones, in her brain. Her tummy is like she is 9 months pregnant and they drain it of fluid every week or so. She has a few weeks to live and I said goodbye today.

We have been in mourning for ages so my big upsets are in the past and TBH we just joked today about the dickheads who argue against voluntary euthanasia. They should have been there today to answer to her suffering. She would have given them a gobful. She’s a theatre nurse by trade. A tough broad.

so sad, sorry to hear that mate

Soren Lorenson

First Grade

@Gronk. I normally I wouldn't post any response to that last paragraph, but since this is the honesty thread where we actually act like proper people and I know it won't end up in #angryboganbanter, here goes.

I don't love that you automatically assume people who oppose voluntary euthanasia as dickheads. I don't have a really strong position on it - I totally understand where people are coming from when they support it, but tbh it makes me very uncomfortable. I don't think I'm a dickhead most days.

I have some personal experience not unlike your own. My own MIL suffered horrendously in the final years of her life. She had a degenerative brain disease similar to MND. Basically was trapped in her own failing body. But the thought of ending her own life never entered the equation. I'm pretty sure she would have been opposed the VAD bill. As I type this I can acknowledge the difference between not supporting it and actively opposing it. Free choice is maybe the key? But geez the human condition is a complex beast. And I'm sorry about your friend. It seems many of us have been through quite a bit in the past few years.

IFR33K

Coach
@Gronk. I normally I wouldn't post any response to that last paragraph, but since this is the honesty thread where we actually act like proper people and I know it won't end up in #angryboganbanter, here goes.

I don't love that you automatically assume people who oppose voluntary euthanasia as dickheads. I don't have a really strong position on it - I totally understand where people are coming from when they support it, but tbh it makes me very uncomfortable. I don't think I'm a dickhead most days.

I have some personal experience not unlike your own. My own MIL suffered horrendously in the final years of her life. She had a degenerative brain disease similar to MND. Basically was trapped in her own failing body. But the thought of ending her own life never entered the equation. I'm pretty sure she would have been opposed the VAD bill. As I type this I can acknowledge the difference between not supporting it and actively opposing it. Free choice is maybe the key? But geez the human condition is a complex beast. And I'm sorry about your friend. It seems many of us have been through quite a bit in the past few years.

strange choice of words there by gronk. Can only see euthanasia creating all sorts of issues. Pandora’s box comes to mind.

Gronk

Staff member

Mate there's a lot of people who think they have the right to step into someone else's life and tell them how they should live their life or in this case end their life. Free choice is your free choice, but it's not your free choice over my choice or the choice of someone you don't even know.
strange choice of words there by gronk. Can only see euthanasia creating all sorts of issues. Pandora’s box comes to mind.
Strange ? Strange infers you don't undertand. Was the use of the term dickhead emotionally charged ? Of course. However it was firmly aimed at merkins who stick their nose where it does not belong. On reflection. I apologise for going hard. It was out of line.

In Victoria the legislation is clear: Voluntary assisted dying is only for people who are suffering from an incurable, advanced and progressive disease, illness or medical condition, who are experiencing intolerable suffering.

There is no pandoras box.

Serioulsy, I wonder if anyone who opposes the wishes of those who are suffering have ever considered these choice of words - respect & dignity. Are those decisions about assisted dying made based on their own beliefs or have they actually considered the individual ? My stepfather also died riddled of cancer. Begging me to put a pillow over his head because of the insurmountable pain and constant nausea from his lung cancer in his last weeks. Dignity is not much to ask.

It's not an easy topic, but it's not a topic to be avoided either.

FYI ~ as at Feb 2023, assisted dying laws exist in Victoria, Western Australia, Tasmania, Queensland, and South Australia.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Mate there's a lot of people who think they have the right to step into someone else's life and tell them how they should live their life or in this case end their life. Free choice is your free choice, but it's not your free choice over my choice or the choice of someone you don't even know.
Yep, agreed, and I acknowledged that in my original post.

I’m with @Gronk here re euthanasia with patients in trouble and following rules.

But this youth suicide thing needs addressing.

Governments should be leading the way with providing proper environments, hope and a future for young people.

All kinds of things.

f**k the market and its brain dead adherents.

Government is about redistribution of resources. Let’s see some humanity.

IFR33K

Coach
I’m with @Gronk here re euthanasia with patients in trouble and following rules.

But this youth suicide thing needs addressing.

Governments should be leading the way with providing proper environments, hope and a future for young people.

All kinds of things.

f**k the market and its brain dead adherents.

Government is about redistribution of resources. Let’s see some humanity.

My comments Pandora’s box was in relation in youth suicide. It def is a grey area

My comments Pandora’s box was in relation in youth suicide. It def is a grey area

All important things to discuss.

We can spend $40b on subs (watch that blow out) but not provide young people with any realistic pathway to make a good living, buy a house or possess other resources.

We can’t protect them from the ravages of depression and make them feel wanted and appreciated.

People are keen to jump onto all kinds of issues and distractions, but we have significant and rising inequality of wealth along with the social problems that go with it.

It’s just not good enough.

Find out what the worlds current leading academic critic of capitalism has to say below:

You don’t have to agree, but I think all points are worth considering.

Last edited:

eels_fan

First Grade
I'm a firm believer that providing you are still of sound mind and not being manipulated or coerced in some way that Voluntary Euthanasia should be readily available for those suffering from incurable and degenerative conditions. This whole "it must be terminal to be approved" is utter bullshit.

I wrote in this thread a couple of weeks back about my father who is suffering from the increasing effects of parkinsons, on top of the degenerative impacts of being in a helicopter crash during the Vietnam War that almost killed him back then.

For a man that could do anything with his hands from servicing cars (and helicopters) to building house extensions - no longer being able to lift one of his arms beyond 90 degrees, and rapidly losing the ability to grip or grasp with his one good arm has left him utterly depressed and feeling worthless. He is 80 this year, and they believe his "good" arm will soon lose function too and is inoperable. I also forgot to mention he has been living with a paralysed diaphragm for 10 years after a surgeon damaged a nerve when operating on his neck - meaning he cant lie down without using a c-pap machine to force him to breathe. If he has a fall and cannot get up from a horizontal position, he would literally suffocate to death.

When i was down with him last week, he brought up euthanasia. It was the first time he had mentioned it, but he meant it when he said if he loses ability to utilise his right arm, that he wants to go. Who am i to argue? As sad as it is, he wont be able to do anything. He already requires assistance to put on a shirt, do up a button on a collar - for a proud man that is emasculating for him. He deserves dignity and respect with what is left in his life.

Of course the rules in NSW would mean he would never be approved for it, as the condition isn't terminal, and doesn't generally cause physical pain - but the emotional toll cant be measured. Which is why many in his circumstance take matters into their own hands. I'd much rather him do things on his terms, with family around and in support than to get a call one day to say he had taken his own life - something i fear will become a reality one day.

Last edited:

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm a firm believer that providing you are still of sound mind and not being manipulated or coerced in some way that Voluntary Euthanasia should be readily available for those suffering from incurable and degenerative conditions. This whole "it must be terminal to be approved" is utter bullshit.

I wrote in this thread a couple of weeks back about my father who is suffering from the increasing effects of parkinsons, on top of the degenerative impacts of being in a helicopter crash during the Vietnam War that almost killed him back then.

For a man that could do anything with his hands from servicing cars (and helicopters) to building house extensions - no longer being able to lift one of his arms beyond 90 degrees, and rapidly losing the ability to grip or grasp with his one good arm has left him utterly depressed and feeling worthless. He is 80 this year, and they believe his "good" arm will soon lose function too and is inoperable. I also forgot to mention he has been living with a paralysed diaphragm for 10 years after a surgeon damaged a nerve when operating on his neck - meaning he cant lie down without using a c-pap machine to force him to breathe. If he has a fall and cannot get up from a horizontal position, he would literally suffocate to death.

When i was down with him last week, he brought up euthanasia. It was the first time he had mentioned it, but he meant it when he said if he loses ability to utilise his right arm, that he wants to go. Who am i to argue? As sad as it is, he wont be able to do anything. He already requires assistance to put on a shirt, do up a button on a collar - for a proud man that is emasculating for him. He deserves dignity and respect with what is left in his life.

Of course the rules in NSW would mean he would never be approved for it, as the condition isn't terminal, and doesn't generally cause physical pain - but the emotional toll cant be measured. Which is why many in his circumstance take matters into their own hands. I'd much rather him do things on his terms, with family around and in support than to get a call one day to say he had taken his own life - something i fear will become a reality one day.

My f**king god mate. :(
That is such a sad story.
I really hope that this works out ok for you and your family in general but most importantly, for your dad. It is so sad to hear stories like this. Someone who has offered so much to this country.

There are many of us members here that are going through so many of these difficulties. We are going through the same issues, and many of us aren't really that far away from the same issues ourselves.
I know this is grose, but mum, at 90, needs to wear nappies now. She has had several "accidents", which need to be cleaned up. It is the most unpleasant experience to have to do so, yet, I just think back to when I was a newborn and when mum (and dad) did it for me. It shouldn't be beyond me to return the favor, but how humiliating it is for mum to go through this. At least when I was a baby, I was unaware of this.
Old age is such a sad stage of life.

All loving thoughts and full power to your Dad and family.

He’s the real deal hero.

Any youngsters reading the thread, the Vietnam War, it’s consequences and effects, is ingrained into our culture and way of life.

My missus dad eventually died from ailments contracted during his time in the RAN (partly during the period) so it touches us every day.

Wars continue to kill long after the last shot.

The Vietnam war is a leading example of this.

Should be compulsory study for all Australians, it’s lessons are critical.

How we treated our vets for many years afterwards was stomach churning.

Last edited:

Latest posts