What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Just for passing youngsters:

I’ve talked to a Vietnamese refugee about her experiences of ‘Nam straight after the war and the terror she endured.

She was in Saigon, but what saved her was that she was originally from a coastal village.

She made up some story that she’d only been in Saigon a short time, her village story checked out and she was spared from the terror revenge

She hightailed it out of there when she could. Like many refugees, had to leave too many friends and family behind.

So kids, don’t you worry about tik tok, wardrobe, Facebook and low value mindlessness.

When I was a kid, we were thinking about being the person who only just missed out on a spot on the last chopper.

Enlarged:

16B170DF-B415-4AB4-B411-5F3EEE3485AF.jpeg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not mental health, just health

Got this crazy virus that's going around, cannot get off the lounge and zero energy, next day I'm fine.

Happened on Good Friday and hit me again yesterday, could not even stand up at one stage, and this morning I'm fine again. Its not a flu as there is no fever, just really weird.

Got this crazy virus that's going around, cannot get off the lounge and zero energy, next day I'm fine.

Happened on Good Friday and hit me again yesterday, could not even stand up at one stage, and this morning I'm fine again. Its not a flu as there is no fever, just really weird.

Mum would have said you have to start eating properly and take it a bit easier around the house. Slow down a bit at work.

Get some fresh air in the house, get some sunlight, but not too much.

Chicken broths and double up on salads over meat. Whole meal bread

Some Apple Cider vinegar and Chinese herbs.

No alcohol, a few less ciggies. No sugary crap.

Build up immune system, body is in a war.

Incorrect

Coach
Mum would have said you have to start eating properly and take it a bit easier around the house. Slow down a bit at work.

And if none of that works, just go the opposite. More ciggies, more booze, more meat, no salad, fairy bread instead of wholemeal.... See how you go....

And if none of that works, just go the opposite. More ciggies, more booze, more meat, no salad, fairy bread instead of wholemeal.... See how you go....

Yes, I’d be personally inclined to start off with your medically meritorious treatment, at least a trial, but I channeled mum.

My expectation is that if I recommended a remedy of my own invention, it would be (wisely) studiously ignored.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm really struggling lately.

My son is having HUGE meltdowns over the tiniest things (that last upwards of an hour), is sleeping like crap, and baby number two is coming in two weeks.

Work is crazy - we keep losing people. Yesterday was the last day for 4 people in my team, but the claims don't stop coming.

It's a struggle to keep focused, and happy, at the moment.

Gronk

Staff member

My son is having HUGE meltdowns over the tiniest things (that last upwards of an hour), is sleeping like crap, and baby number two is coming in two weeks.

Work is crazy - we keep losing people. Yesterday was the last day for 4 people in my team, but the claims don't stop coming.

Eele,

I too have been overwhelmed at times. Like that song I’ve got 99 problems something something. What works for me…

1. Acceptance: Understand that at times life is like herding cats. It just is and there is little point worrying about things you can’t change or have no control over.
2. Problem solving: I’m a fixer. That’s what I do professionally and at home. My instinct is to make problems go away and sometimes when I can’t it, things weigh heavy on my conscience. By all means give it a crack, but be a realist and circle back to No.1 above if it’s out of your control.
3. Adjust your emotional reaction to problems or situations. Learn to reflect on what you are finding super stressy and reflect if you should be handling it more sensibly. Are you losing your temper too quick ? Should you count to 20 before you answer or maybe even go for a walk before opening your big mouth ? Learn from your mistakes.
4. Be kind to yourself.
heart.gif

Eelementary

Post Whore
Eele,

I too have been overwhelmed at times. Like that song I’ve got 99 problems something something. What works for me…

1. Acceptance: Understand that at times life is like herding cats. It just is and there is little point worrying about things you can’t change or have no control over.
2. Problem solving: I’m a fixer. That’s what I do professionally and at home. My instinct is to make problems go away and sometimes when I can’t it, things weigh heavy on my conscience. By all means give it a crack, but be a realist and circle back to No.1 above if it’s out of your control.
3. Adjust your emotional reaction to problems or situations. Learn to reflect on what you are finding super stressy and reflect if you should be handling it more sensibly. Are you losing your temper too quick ? Should you count to 20 before you answer or maybe even go for a walk before opening your big mouth ? Learn from your mistakes.
4. Be kind to yourself.
heart.gif

I do have temper issues, which are exacerbated by the lack of sleep, depression, and stress.

I know it's temporary, but it's really tough at the moment.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

just bear in mind mate, you're a good bloke and its all part of the journey

how old is your young bloke ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

well you can tell your mum, I eat well and exercise every day

I'm, just sick

Gronk

Staff member
I do have temper issues, which are exacerbated by the lack of sleep, depression, and stress.

The great thing is that you have a recent diagnosis, which is a super positive moment in your life.

You’re slowly getting a great team around you, who are learning about you and how to best to treat your condition.

Please remember that whilst you have a great team around you, that you are the captain of the team. Change will only occur if you are at the wheel driving change.

It might sound lame, but positive self talk is a proven tool used in defeating the black dog. Look in the mirror and be the captain.

It was explained to me that the study of neuro-plasticity (sp) has proven that negative thoughts are a learned habit and are self sabotaging. With practice, you can erase these well worn brain patterns of negative thoughts and flip them to a more level headed balanced view. Some people keep a gratitude diary as a way of forcing change.

Can I ask you, have you every tried CBT ? If so where did you do it ? Was it “one on one” or in a group? How long did you do it for ?

hindy111

Post Whore

I'd see a doctor if I where you. That doesn't sound normal. Maybe low blood pressure

hindy111

Post Whore

I never understood getting that angry. What's the point of it. Whatever bothers you then you are in control to change it at some point. Everything is energy. Anger may come but why chose to hold onto it? Take a breathe and let it pass. You could be in a cycle where your addicted to this emotion without even knowing it. Like a natural kind of feeling. Default setting. You can control your emotions. Amd chose what ones you wish to hold onto and which ones you let drift along.

Eelementary

Post Whore
The great thing is that you have a recent diagnosis, which is a super positive moment in your life.

You’re slowly getting a great team around you, who are learning about you and how to best to treat your condition.

Please remember that whilst you have a great team around you, that you are the captain of the team. Change will only occur if you are at the wheel driving change.

It might sound lame, but positive self talk is a proven tool used in defeating the black dog. Look in the mirror and be the captain.

It was explained to me that the study of neuro-plasticity (sp) has proven that negative thoughts are a learned habit and are self sabotaging. With practice, you can erase these well worn brain patterns of negative thoughts and flip them to a more level headed balanced view. Some people keep a gratitude diary as a way of forcing change.

Can I ask you, have you every tried CBT ? If so where did you do it ? Was it “one on one” or in a group? How long did you do it for ?

Part of my issues with depression was that the people I sought help from were not really ideal to help me with it; they would tell me to do breathing exercises, meditate, etc.

Which is fine - I understand its place in therapy.

But I'm now seeing a clinical psychologist who is doing CBT with me, and what a difference it has made - I've learned so much about myself. This psychologist is sent from heaven.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I never understood getting that angry. What's the point of it. Whatever bothers you then you are in control to change it at some point. Everything is energy. Anger may come but why chose to hold onto it? Take a breathe and let it pass. You could be in a cycle where your
addicted to this emotion without even knowing it. Like a natural kind of feeling. Default setting. You can control your emotions. Amd chose what ones you wish to hold onto and which ones you let drift along.

Part of the issue I have is that my brain does not produce enough serotonin - therefore, my baseline for "happy" is way lower than most people.

Most antidepressants work by making the serotonin stay in your brain longer - but if you're not producing enough to begin with, the medication doesn't help.

I have new medication which works differently. I hope it helps.

The anger stems from feeling helpless - when you get angry, you're in control. You pump adrenaline through your body, raise your voice, and say, or do, things you may not otherwise do.

My brain doesn't have a switch to say, "OK, let's calm down here, now", and it goes from 0 to 100 fast.

It's a horrible way to live.

hindy111

Post Whore
Part of the issue I have is that my brain does not produce enough serotonin - therefore, my baseline for "happy" is way lower than most people.

Most antidepressants work by making the serotonin stay in your brain longer - but if you're not producing enough to begin with, the medication doesn't help.

The anger stems from feeling helpless - when you get angry, you're in control. You pump adrenaline through your body, raise your voice, and say, or do, things you may not otherwise do.

My brain doesn't have a switch to say, "OK, let's calm down here, now", and it goes from 0 to 100 fast.

Can I ask how they tested your serotonin levels in your brain? I have friends who have said similar but there tests where not physical like lets say a blood test. Do they scan it or something?

You’re trying, that’s a big deal to start with.

I know people with the issues, can take a little while to master with different treatments, so steady as she goes.

Sounds like you’re making progress. 👍

Kids can go through phases, resilient and amazing. The greatest gift.