What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

emjaycee

Coach
I don't know about other codes, but the average NRL first grade career (if you make it) is 40 games. So not sure if being smart with their $$$$ is even a factor.
Assuming that the average footballer will earn an average wage once they retire, the 3 years or so they are playing FG and earning say $250,000 pa. doesn't really mean much over a work life of 40 years.

Avg. Aust wage for semi-skilled labour is $70k. Earning that for 40 years is $2.8m
Earn it for 37 years and earn $250k for 3 years is $3.34m, which over 40 years gives you an average of $83k pa.

IFR33K

Coach
I had an interesting conversation with a mental health professional sometime over the past few days. Without being too specific and breaching confidentiality, he regularly sees a number of professional athletes who play team sports.

He said merkins would be shocked how many young people he has seen in their early mid and late 20's who are literally in tears because they are accused specifically of "not trying" or "not good enough" by the public. Simply because form is a very human condition, especially when you are young.

Indeed he has even seen young men who are household names to some, who have expressed that they have felt "unsafe" at times.

Yeah we are all guilty of it. Us supporters take no prisoners when it comes to our win, no excuses, expectations.

It gave me some perspective anyway.

================

Remember that if anyone is feeling unsafe or has in the past, then you really should have a safety plan.

my biggest gripe is when some people fat shame female athletes.

Gronk

Staff member
you called a biological woman fat, fat shaming her.

but when I call a ‘woman’ with a cock a weirdo with mental health issues, I’m the troll.

one of your best.
It takes a special type of person to bring your gotcha trolling to the mental health thread.

I know it's a game to you and to those who gleefully larf at your posts. I really thought you'd have the common sense and better judgement to keep it out of this thread at least, especially juxtaposed with previous posts about depression and suicide. Yet here we are.

IFR33K

Coach
It takes a special type of person to bring your gotcha trolling to the mental health thread.

I know it's a game to you and to those who gleefully larf at your posts. I really thought you'd have the common sense and better judgement to keep it out of this thread at least, especially juxtaposed with previous posts about depression and suicide. Yet here we are.

you fat shamed a professional female RL player less than a week ago, yet come back and post your experience talking with some expert about the scrutiny and criticism athletes face on a daily basis.

were you posting that for a gotcha moment or for the likes?

King-Gutho94

Coach
RIP Kyle Turner
Poor kid I recall he had numerous concussions during his short career as well.

Maybe it had an effect on his mental state.

RIP he will forever be a premiership winner having played in the 2014 GF drought breaking premiership for Souths.

Gronk

Staff member
Poor kid I recall he had numerous concussions during his short career as well.

Maybe it had an effect on his mental state.

RIP he will forever be a premiership winner having played in the 2014 GF drought breaking premiership for Souths.
spinal injury as well

IFR33K

Coach
I was helping my son on Monday public holiday
With small renovations.
He had an accident and chopped off 4 fingers.
I spent 40 minutes searching for one of them while he was treated by the ambulance paramedics.
Terrible sight
I was trying to remember and administer first aid.
He had two reattached. Hopefully they take ok.
Lost his index finger which the surgeon said is not needed and the 1st joint of his little finger.
I'm arranging to talk to a physiologist as I'm having flash backs.
Thought I'd tell you guys to get it of my chest.

Hey mate. How’s the son’s recovery going?

Rocket man

Juniors
Hey mate. How’s the son’s recovery going?
Recovery is as well as can be.
Goes for a check every week.
He had X-rays. One finger the fracture is still evident the other not. Once the X-rays are clear I think he'll start more intensive physio. There's no movement on the first joints towards the tips of his fingers but a little movement in other joints. There's still a lot of swelling which could take 12 months or there abouts to go down.
He had a joke about being able to tie his shoe laces now.

IFR33K

Coach
Recovery is as well as can be.
Goes for a check every week.
He had X-rays. One finger the fracture is still evident the other not. Once the X-rays are clear I think he'll start more intensive physio. There's no movement on the first joints towards the tips of his fingers but a little movement in other joints. There's still a lot of swelling which could take 12 months or there abouts to go down.
He had a joke about being able to tie his shoe laces now.

Hopefully he’s in good spirits

Latest posts