What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
Beside this post on my screen is an add for Lizard Island. I did a day trip there on my homeymoon 26 years ago so I though I would take a look. Cheapest rooms were 2000 + per night. I suppose the bed is a bit better than a cardboard box.
All food included. Children free.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
All food included. Children free.
Yeah I know. I just thought the contrast between a 2k per night resort and talking about homelessness was ironic. And btw how much effen food and grog would you need to eat to make it worthwhile!

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah I know. I just thought the contrast between a 2k per night resort and talking about homelessness was ironic. And btw how much effen food and grog would you need to eat to make it worthwhile!
Agree with irony.

You don't get free grog BTW.

Gronk

Staff member

Gronk

Staff member
Looks like Sunday Aug 6th V Dragqueens could be a good time for a get together.

My dad's birthday is in August which is when I come down most years.

Lets all get together and support our Eels.

Gronk

Staff member
I had an interesting conversation with a mental health professional sometime over the past few days. Without being too specific and breaching confidentiality, he regularly sees a number of professional athletes who play team sports.

He said merkins would be shocked how many young people he has seen in their early mid and late 20's who are literally in tears because they are accused specifically of "not trying" or "not good enough" by the public. Simply because form is a very human condition, especially when you are young.

Indeed he has even seen young men who are household names to some, who have expressed that they have felt "unsafe" at times.

Yeah we are all guilty of it. Us supporters take no prisoners when it comes to our win, no excuses, expectations.

It gave me some perspective anyway.

================

Remember that if anyone is feeling unsafe or has in the past, then you really should have a safety plan.

The Predictor

Juniors
As an elite athlete, you know scrutiny will be the worst enemy, and on occasions ur best friend, unfortunately part of the territory, lots of people are going through hell as we speak, these guys are no different? Other than they will never go without, if there smart with their$$$$ with choices come consequences, where as Parra fans have had no joy over 40 years

The Predictor

Juniors
I had an interesting conversation with a mental health professional sometime over the past few days. Without being too specific and breaching confidentiality, he regularly sees a number of professional athletes who play team sports.

He said merkins would be shocked how many young people he has seen in their early mid and late 20's who are literally in tears because they are accused specifically of "not trying" or "not good enough" by the public. Simply because form is a very human condition, especially when you are young.

Indeed he has even seen young men who are household names to some, who have expressed that they have felt "unsafe" at times.

Yeah we are all guilty of it. Us supporters take no prisoners when it comes to our win, no excuses, expectations.

It gave me some perspective anyway.

================

Remember that if anyone is feeling unsafe or has in the past, then you really should have a safety plan.

Meh….

Gronk

Staff member
As an elite athlete, you know scrutiny will be the worst enemy, and on occasions ur best friend, unfortunately part of the territory, lots of people are going through hell as we speak, these guys are no different? Other than they will never go without, if there smart with their$$$$
I don't know about other codes, but the average NRL first grade career (if you make it) is 40 games. So not sure if being smart with their $$$$ is even a factor.

The Predictor

Juniors
I don't know about other codes, but the average NRL first grade career (if you make it) is 40 games. So not sure if being smart with their $$$$ is even a factor.
Obviously the more elite, but an average footballer makes, minimum $250 ?, yes there is pressure, but the know that, and fans venting is a part of the process, though I don’t approve Or like the grubby stuff

T.S Quint

Coach
As an elite athlete, you know scrutiny will be the worst enemy, and on occasions ur best friend, unfortunately part of the territory, lots of people are going through hell as we speak, these guys are no different? Other than they will never go without, if there smart with their$$$$ with choices come consequences, where as Parra fans have had no joy over 40 years

Yet another "Well they got money, so they should just suck it up" posts.
Money doesn't fix everything.