What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
This week is RUOK? week. Tomorrow I host an sports event as part of this important public mental health promotion.

A conversation can save a life.

1694120617722.png

Gronk

Staff member
I met these two mad merkins this morning. They are planning to run Sydney Marathon in hard hats and mongrel boots for mens mental health. <tick> Good luck with the chafe. o_O

View attachment 77125

Sydney Marathon was completed yesterday in oppressive conditions, yet these mad merkins powered on for mental health and raised over $100k. Sam & Chris are legends.

379606664_700616962109625_1121069306821678058_n.jpg1694999989263.png

Stevie

Bench
Yo legends, I have been quiet of late and I am sorry for that as I have been a big supporter of this thread and its intentions. Let me start by saying after my promotion at work and then freak out questioning "why me" and thinking "I cant do this" or "I'm a fraud" I sort out some professional help for my anxiety.

Where do i start... What a breath of fresh air... Feel like I can breath again. Became comfortable with myself again and started to be OK with being nervous, anxious, and became OK with being super OPEN with it at work.

Now, I just so happen to work for a very large organisation that claims to be big on mental health, and guess what, they are! I had a 1 on 1 with my General Manager (a guy earning over 1 mill a year) and he opened up to me he has battled with anxiety and depression his whole life. It didn't make me happy but it made me feel so normal!

As a result I have opened up to my team and guess what (3 people from a team of 9 have either spoke up in that environment or pulled me aside and said "hey me too").

Guys, don't underestimate the strength of just being Ok with being imperfect! Shit, we all are! My GM telling me that has really been great for me, its made me realise high achievers can be just as nervous as the rest of us.

Please. Keep talking. Keep reaching out to your mates and putting yourself out there.

P.S One guy I have found whom I love is Ben Crowe who I met through work. He is a mindset coach for a lot of famous athletes (Ash Barty, Steph Gilmore, Dylan Alcott etc. He currently consults with Collingwood I think and has worked with many AFL coaches) and his whole premise is about being comfortable with being FAR from perfect. I really recommend checking him out. He has an app called MOJO Crew

Anyway, sorry for the blab.

Great update Stevie, reads like you'd had a big, positive shift and comfortable with being your everyday self!

I always say (to myself and others) that perfect is overrated... but sometimes it's hard (also for myself and others) to get there and just feel comfortable with that without the worries.

Gronk

Staff member
Yo legends, I have been quiet of late and I am sorry for that as I have been a big supporter of this thread and its intentions. Let me start by saying after my promotion at work and then freak out questioning "why me" and thinking "I cant do this" or "I'm a fraud" I sort out some professional help for my anxiety.

Where do i start... What a breath of fresh air... Feel like I can breath again. Became comfortable with myself again and started to be OK with being nervous, anxious, and became OK with being super OPEN with it at work.

Now, I just so happen to work for a very large organisation that claims to be big on mental health, and guess what, they are! I had a 1 on 1 with my General Manager (a guy earning over 1 mill a year) and he opened up to me he has battled with anxiety and depression his whole life. It didn't make me happy but it made me feel so normal!

As a result I have opened up to my team and guess what (3 people from a team of 9 have either spoke up in that environment or pulled me aside and said "hey me too").

Guys, don't underestimate the strength of just being Ok with being imperfect! Shit, we all are! My GM telling me that has really been great for me, its made me realise high achievers can be just as nervous as the rest of us.

Please. Keep talking. Keep reaching out to your mates and putting yourself out there.

P.S One guy I have found whom I love is Ben Crowe who I met through work. He is a mindset coach for a lot of famous athletes (Ash Barty, Steph Gilmore, Dylan Alcott etc. He currently consults with Collingwood I think and has worked with many AFL coaches) and his whole premise is about being comfortable with being FAR from perfect. I really recommend checking him out. He has an app called MOJO Crew

Anyway, sorry for the blab.
Imposter syndrome ? Welcome to the club merkin.

Imposter syndrome can arise in all aspects of a person's life, including professional, academic, or in sports. It can/does lead to feelings of anxiety, self-doubt, and a constant fear of being "found out" as an imposter, even when you have achieved successes in life. If it envelopes you, episodes of depression can certainly arise.

It's important to understand that imposter syndrome is a common experience for normal people and can affect us at all stages of our lives and careers. Recognizing and addressing imposter syndrome involves acknowledging your accomplishments and learning to internalize a sense of self-worth and competence. They call it acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).

Having said that, what made Nathan Hindmarsh puke before a match ? What made him get up and run and tackle again and again and again. I don’t know Hindy but let’s say for this exercise to say that he used his anxiety as a tool. A fear if failure was used as a motivator. So rather than freezing like a deer in the headlights, he used it to his advantage ?

Stevie

Bench

Imposter syndrome can arise in all aspects of a person's life, including professional, academic, or in sports. It can/does lead to feelings of anxiety, self-doubt, and a constant fear of being "found out" as an imposter, even when you have achieved successes in life. If it envelopes you, episodes of depression can certainly arise.

It's important to understand that imposter syndrome is a common experience for normal people and can affect us at all stages of our lives and careers. Recognizing and addressing imposter syndrome involves acknowledging your accomplishments and learning to internalize a sense of self-worth and competence. They call it acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT).

Having said that, what made Nathan Hindmarsh puke before a match ? What made him get up and run and tackle again and again and again. I don’t know Hindy but let’s say for this exercise to say that he used his anxiety as a tool. A fear if failure was used as a motivator. So rather than freezing like a deer in the headlights, he used it to his advantage ?
Mate you absolutely nailed it.

And for me it’s the “feedback loop” that comes.

Im sure it’s been mentioned but “The subtle art of not giving a f$&k” really was great for me. Highly recommend. If you aren’t a big book reader I bought it on audiobooks and find it easy to listen to on the commute.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I hope everyone is doing ok. I havent posted on this particular thread much as the situation I'm currently in has been too hard to write and share and I posted in other threads to take my mind off whats happened. I though I'd share what's happened. I did post earlier in June about my work situation, taking leave due to stress on my mental health, and havent returned since. My work has allowed me to focus on myself and take time off. Although its been almost 4 months, things have not improved and things seem to go backwards.

Last week I received some really devastating news that a good friend and collegue of mine passed away at a young age, in his 40s. Since then its been so hard to get my head around as to how and why this happened. This person is an absolute champion, doesnt say a bad word about anyone, easy to talk to and would always whats happening in your life. Its hard to use stuff in past tense because part of me feels he's still with us. When I found out about the news, I felt like I was in a bad dream that I need to wake up from. Now that is has been almost a full week, I've been getting messages and phone calls from my other friends and collegues and its hard to get the words out. I spoke to one person and we've shared some good memories but only a few as we both are still shocked and devastated.

I haven't been told how he died but gathering from the emails and counselor information I received it may have something to do with mental health which I wasnt aware he had. This bloke and I are quite similiar with interests, we love a beer and quiet with conversations because we tend to listen to other people. Both single and both in jobs that are paid similar. Although we didnt have this particular conversation, I have told other people how Ive been quite down with a lot and wish my life was better. A better job, partner with kids, steady life with no real stresses. I often wonder if he felt the same. What worries me is that I may go down this path which I do not want to. I'm single, late 30s, no kids or partner but I have siblings and their kids that look out for me.

When I had a phone conversation with someone yesterday, I cried a little and then my nephew woke up from his sleep, I picked him up, hugged him and started crying. He's too young to understand whats going on but he hugged back, he must've known something was up.

I will miss this friend of mine because he's a champion. We've always had that friend that looks out for others and enjoys your company. The last time I saw him was a couple months ago, we shared a beers with others and made sure I was ok because he knew what I was going through. That's the sort of person he is, looking out for each other.

We never talked about work because it was too stressful to talk about so it was always about Rugba Leage, other sport, comedy shows. So I'll miss those conversations

Thankfully its still the NRL season and I have other stuff to talk about and cheer me up a little, otherwise it wouldve been hard to post anything on these forums.

It feels hard but also nice to share this. I'm sure everyone here has that sort of friend that's always asks those questions " How are you? " How was your weekend?. They shout you drinks, never argue with you, even if they follow another NRL team lol.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
I hope everyone is doing ok. I havent posted on this particular thread much as the situation I'm currently in has been too hard to write and share and I posted in other threads to take my mind off whats happened. I though I'd share what's happened. I did post earlier in June about my work situation, taking leave due to stress on my mental health, and havent returned since. My work has allowed me to focus on myself and take time off. Although its been almost 4 months, things have not improved and things seem to go backwards.

Last week I received some really devastating news that a good friend and collegue of mine passed away at a young age, in his 40s. Since then its been so hard to get my head around as to how and why this happened. This person is an absolute champion, doesnt say a bad word about anyone, easy to talk to and would always whats happening in your life. Its hard to use stuff in past tense because part of me feels he's still with us. When I found out about the news, I felt like I was in a bad dream that I need to wake up from. Now that is has been almost a full week, I've been getting messages and phone calls from my other friends and collegues and its hard to get the words out. I spoke to one person and we've shared some good memories but only a few as we both are still shocked and devastated.

I haven't been told how he died but gathering from the emails and counselor information I received it may have something to do with mental health which I wasnt aware he had. This bloke and I are quite similiar with interests, we love a beer and quiet with conversations because we tend to listen to other people. Both single and both in jobs that are paid similar. Although we didnt have this particular conversation, I have told other people how Ive been quite down with a lot and wish my life was better. A better job, partner with kids, steady life with no real stresses. I often wonder if he felt the same. What worries me is that I may go down this path which I do not want to. I'm single, late 30s, no kids or partner but I have siblings and their kids that look out for me.

When I had a phone conversation with someone yesterday, I cried a little and then my nephew woke up from his sleep, I picked him up, hugged him and started crying. He's too young to understand whats going on but he hugged back, he must've known something was up.

I will miss this friend of mine because he's a champion. We've always had that friend that looks out for others and enjoys your company. The last time I saw him was a couple months ago, we shared a beers with others and made sure I was ok because he knew what I was going through. That's the sort of person he is, looking out for each other.

We never talked about work because it was too stressful to talk about so it was always about Rugba Leage, other sport, comedy shows. So I'll miss those conversations

Thankfully its still the NRL season and I have other stuff to talk about and cheer me up a little, otherwise it wouldve been hard to post anything on these forums.

It feels hard but also nice to share this. I'm sure everyone here has that sort of friend that's always asks those questions " How are you? " How was your weekend?. They shout you drinks, never argue with you, even if they follow another NRL team lol.
Hey man, it will get better.
If you ever want to shoot the breeze, hit me up. I love a chat.

Eelementary

Post Whore

I reckon you're right - Hindy had an incredible work ethic, and hated losing.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Never done Movember before I should get around it one year.

Problem for me is my facial hair grows back within 2 days and i hate shaving.

So i have to shave the beard and facial hair once a week to keep it under control.