What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Gronk

Staff member
I did not know this. Yesterday's game was known as the i4Give Cup, in honour of the family that lost their kids at Oatlands, which I am sure touch most of us because a) we all know the area so well and b) the huge and almost instant gesture of forgiveness towards the driver.

Suitman

Post Whore
From another thread....

Metro Brisbane, north side. We moved here from Sydney in 2018 and bought this place outright. Bought a brand new house for 440K, sold for 625K. We already have a place to move to - it's on a larger block and not so close to neighbours.

Good luck to you taking advantage of the market and enjoying your retirement!! I mean that.
I had to sell at the absolute bottom end of the market due to separation 4 years ago. Would have easily got an extra almost million now for the house I proudly designed and built myself. Not kidding re possible current sale price, as I have kept an eye on market prices where we sold.
I have been completely screwed financially. Now renting a joint and honestly have no idea how my current finances will provide for my retirement.
It doesn't matter how hard and how many hours I work, I just keep going backwards financially. It sucks.

Eelogical

Referee
From another thread....

Good luck to you taking advantage of the market and enjoying your retirement!! I mean that.
I had to sell at the absolute bottom end of the market due to separation 4 years ago. Would have easily got an extra almost million now for the house I proudly designed and built myself. Not kidding re possible current sale price, as I have kept an eye on market prices where we sold.
I have been completely screwed financially. Now renting a joint and honestly have no idea how my current finances will provide for my retirement.
It doesn't matter how hard and how many hours I work, I just keep going backwards financially. It sucks.
Sorry to hear about your circumstances, Suity. I guess we’ve all faced adversity at times in our life. We’re not rich but we’re doing OK. I haven’t worked since we moved here (and don’t intend to, not that I would be considered employable these days). We’re buying our son’s place and will have a modest amount to put into it. Considering the way the housing market is these days we count ourselves to be extremel fortunate. I hope you can get through your current hard time and come out the other side in a much stronger position.

King-Gutho94

Coach
From another thread....

Sorry to hear about that. Life isn't fair.

Some stories from blokes at my old job sound similar to your one.

Separated from the wives and left with not much and are working in there late 60s and early 70s because they don't have a choice.

One of them was the compliance/HR manager I worked with.

He was 63 married for 40 years plus and about to retire so they could travel while still young enough.

When the missus pulled the pin on the marriage & she got 67% and he is now still working at 68 years of age.

He kept his motorbikes said it keeps him sane on weekends by going for drives on weekends. Goes around and visits the Grandkids once a week.

But when he told me I just felt really sorry and shit for him.

Worked his whole life ready to retire and it taken away from him. So has to keep working now for the time being.

Just doesn't seem fair.

Gronk

Staff member
From another thread....

I can see hiw hard that must be for you mate. As others have said marriage or partnership breakdown often leaves one or both in vulnerable financial positions.

We have a female friend who after a divorce ended up pretty much the same, except that she had no skills and had to find work.

Good financial advice with the singular goal of having a roof over your head at retirement age is your goal obviously. Whatever retirement age actually is for us merkins these days.

Rocket man

Juniors
I was helping my son on Monday public holiday
With small renovations.
He had an accident and chopped off 4 fingers.
I spent 40 minutes searching for one of them while he was treated by the ambulance paramedics.
Terrible sight
I was trying to remember and administer first aid.
He had two reattached. Hopefully they take ok.
Lost his index finger which the surgeon said is not needed and the 1st joint of his little finger.
I'm arranging to talk to a physiologist as I'm having flash backs.
Thought I'd tell you guys to get it of my chest.

Incorrect

Coach
F
With small renovations.
I spent 40 minutes searching for one of them while he was treated by the ambulance paramedics.
Terrible sight
Lost his index finger which the surgeon said is not needed and the 1st joint of his little finger.
f**k!! That sounds awful mate. How's your son holding up?? Assume he was using a power saw or grinder??

Gronk

Staff member
With small renovations.
Terrible sight
Holy shit dude.

emjaycee

Coach
With small renovations.
Terrible sight
That's totally f**ked mate - I hope he is ok... and you.
Being involved and part of an accident with a loved one must be so traumatic, especially with your own child.
Glad you recognise that you need to take care of yourself and are getting some help.

Rocket man

Juniors
F
f**k!! That sounds awful mate. How's your son holding up?? Assume he was using a power saw or grinder??
Drop saw.
He thinks it could of hit a nail in the timber and jumped or something.
He was the calmer than the rest of us.
He's holding up ok. He said he's looking at the worse result so he won't be disappointed if they don't take.
At least it wasn't his dominant hand.

IFR33K

Coach
With small renovations.
Terrible sight

damn hope he has a speedy recovery. How old is he?

Happy MEel

First Grade
With small renovations.
Terrible sight
That’s horrific mate and I’m so sorry you both are going through that. Definitely seek help if it’s affecting you mentally as that would be something you won’t forget easily. Take care and I hope your son has a good recovery.

Suitman

Post Whore
With small renovations.
Terrible sight

Oh man, what an awful story that is. :(
So sorry to hear that.
That just sounds traumatic for all involved.
You are indeed doing the correct thing seeking some mental health advice. It is certainly for your own good and for those around you also.
I sincerely hope your son can get through this without any mental scarring as well. Indeed, the physical recovery for him will be difficult enough.

IFR33K

Coach
Drop saw.
He thinks it could of hit a nail in the timber and jumped or something.
He was the calmer than the rest of us.
He's holding up ok. He said he's looking at the worse result so he won't be disappointed if they don't take.
At least it wasn't his dominant hand.

How’s your son doing mate?

Rocket man

Juniors
H
How’s your son doing mate?
He's was released from hospital last Tues.
Blood flow is good to the reattached fingers.
He has a little movement but said were a bit stiff yesterday.
His index finger is now his middle finger and the middle finger is now his ring finger. They were still joined by the webbing after he cut them off.
The surgeon said they had 2 complete fingers to reattach.
There was to much damage to the knuckle of his index finger where he cut it off to consider any option.
I didn't realise he cut them that high .
He actually did 5 hours of work from home the other day. He's planning to be back at work in 2 weeks.