What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mental Health

Suitman

Post Whore
Sorry guys I’ve had a shit week and have nothing to look forward to this weekend. A shithouse loss is on the cards, nothing surer

My week as well.
A brutal tooth extraction and jaw bone scraping by an oral surgeon on Wednesday, and stupidly ridiculous problems with a client at work, the likes of which have left me speechless.
Some on-site materials stolen by another builder doing work on the same site. WTF?
A daughter who has lost her job after just taking out a $20 k car loan.
The only thing that will cheer me up a little bit is an Eels win tonight.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
My week as well.
A brutal tooth extraction and jaw bone scraping by an oral surgeon on Wednesday, and stupidly ridiculous problems with a client at work, the likes of which have left me speechless.
Some on-site materials stolen by another builder doing work on the same site. WTF?
A daughter who has lost her job after just taking out a $20 k car loan.
The only thing that will cheer me up a little bit is an Eels win tonight.
Sorry to hear all that mate. Here’s hoping for a better week next week.

Stevie

Bench
Maybe just a bit of a share. But I’ve just done 8 weeks no booze. For seemingly no reason I felt myself crashing.
I’ve been at one point 3 weeks ago feeling like I couldn’t go on. I’m lucky with a beautiful wife and kids but haven’t been staying mentally healthy.
Im only sharing as I’m on the end now. But a few people in particular, literally saved me. I’m susceptible to mental health and it’s was the worst I’ve been in a decade despite people on the outside saying I live a charmed life.
Im putting myself out there because I thought I was in control and it snuck up on me. No crisis, no drama, just happened.
Please keep you own crew you can be honest with. It might just save your life.

eels_fan

First Grade
Thanks for sharing Stevie, great work! Glad you have come out the other side and no doubt feeling stronger, more disciplined and more happy

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe just a bit of a share. But I’ve just done 8 weeks no booze. For seemingly no reason I felt myself crashing.
I’ve been at one point 3 weeks ago feeling like I couldn’t go on. I’m lucky with a beautiful wife and kids but haven’t been staying mentally healthy.
Im only sharing as I’m on the end now. But a few people in particular, literally saved me. I’m susceptible to mental health and it’s was the worst I’ve been in a decade despite people on the outside saying I live a charmed life.
Im putting myself out there because I thought I was in control and it snuck up on me. No crisis, no drama, just happened.

its good to share this and even better that you're feeling better for having shared it with us

none of us are experts at dealing with depression but most of us have had to deal with it in one way or another, so if sharing helps, we're here for you

Happy MEel

First Grade
So glad to hear you’re coming out the other end Stevie and really appreciate you being vulnerable and sharing this. I have no doubt it will help one of us who may be going through something similar as it’s reassuring to know there’s light at the end of the very dark tunnel. Reach out any time mate and look after yourself.

hindy111

Post Whore

It was an interesting read Steve. I gave up Alcohol for 6mths recently. Not that I drank a lot to begin with but it does change my mood the following days if have more then 3. Have you ever practised mindfulness?

Stevie

Bench
It was an interesting read Steve. I gave up Alcohol for 6mths recently. Not that I drank a lot to begin with but it does change my mood the following days if have more then 3. Have you ever practised mindfulness?
Not really no? Perhaps I should look into it?
But yes having a break is definitely good for the headspace and tbh it’s not like I even have a drink during the week.
For me it’s been a reminder that your headspace can really plummet from seemingly no where. Much better this week and just really stuck at it with the basics, doing the stuff that I know gets me out of my own head and being with my kids, eating well and getting good rest. Continued telling myself it’ll come good.

hindy111

Post Whore
Not really no? Perhaps I should look into it?
But yes having a break is definitely good for the headspace and tbh it’s not like I even have a drink during the week.
For me it’s been a reminder that your headspace can really plummet from seemingly no where. Much better this week and just really stuck at it with the basics, doing the stuff that I know gets me out of my own head and being with my kids, eating well and getting good rest. Continued telling myself it’ll come good.

I'm not an expert. I personally think all our patterns and emotional responses however are developed as a child.First 8-10yrs. Then we develop and ego to protect them.
We then tend to just repeat these patterns cause it's what we learnt and know. Whatever you're experiencing may stem back to your childhood and has nothing to do with the present but your brain is stuck in a negative feedback loop buried in your sub concious. So you can't even see it. High chance you may not even remember it.
If you beleive your body is connected to your mind (which I do) then just pay attention to it all. Somehow you need to break your negative feedback loop. Otherwise you will just keep repeating sort of a thing cause it's how you've been wired. Mindfullness is like a key to help open that door.

Stevie

Bench
I'm not an expert. I personally think all our patterns and emotional responses however are developed as a child.First 8-10yrs. Then we develop and ego to protect them.
We then tend to just repeat these patterns cause it's what we learnt and know. Whatever you're experiencing may stem back to your childhood and has nothing to do with the present but your brain is stuck in a negative feedback loop buried in your sub concious. So you can't even see it. High chance you may not even remember it.
If you beleive your body is connected to your mind (which I do) then just pay attention to it all. Somehow you need to break your negative feedback loop. Otherwise you will just keep repeating sort of a thing cause it's how you've been wired. Mindfullness is like a key to help open that door.
Wow powerful stuff. Will definitely look into it I listen to a lot of podcasts so I am sure there is loads on this space .

Suitman

Post Whore
You have been doing it tough @Stevie and I'm really proud of the fact that you are fighting through it.
I'm also impressed that you are brave enough to open up here on this site and seek advice. That is a huge step on your part.
Stay strong dude.
If nothing else, just having a chat here is good for you. It is brave to do this, and you should find strength in that.
There are plenty of people here that you have never even met or know personally that want to see you beat off your demons.
There would be more people than we all realise on this site that are going through serious shite in their lives.
It helps immensely to open up to others and just chat.
I've actually done it myself with fellow Eels fans. Some who I have met and others who I trust that I haven't met.
Feel free to reach out at any time via PM.

Stevie

Bench
You have been doing it tough @Stevie and I'm really proud of the fact that you are fighting through it.
I'm also impressed that you are brave enough to open up here on this site and seek advice. That is a huge step on your part.
Stay strong dude.
If nothing else, just having a chat here is good for you. It is brave to do this, and you should find strength in that.
There are plenty of people here that you have never even met or know personally that want to see you beat off your demons.
There would be more people than we all realise on this site that are going through serious shite in their lives.
It helps immensely to open up to others and just chat.
I've actually done it myself with fellow Eels fans. Some who I have met and others who I trust that I haven't met.
Feel free to reach out at any time via PM.
Thanks Legend much appreciated.
Im super grateful you can talk about things these days without the stigma. Just saying that you’re in a bad headspace and people respecting that.
We’ve come a long way in society in that regard!

Avenger

Immortal
I’m no conspiracy theorist but many of my mates who aren’t themselves blame the Covid vaccinations and all things post the pandemic for getting them down. Even I’m a different person to what I was pre covid.

Gronk

Staff member
I’m no conspiracy theorist but many of my mates who aren’t themselves blame the Covid vaccinations and all things post the pandemic for getting them down. Even I’m a different person to what I was pre covid.
Well, the pandemic was certainly a life changing experience for all of us. I totally understand the need to pinpoint a specific issue (vaccines) which might be used to attribute blame for how the pandemic has impacted us. That’s human nature. However, we are all smart enough to understand that being exposed to significant change or even trauma (however small or large) can have lasting effects on our mental health. Not only did we experience fear, isolation and the unknown, but the aftermath in our lives was essentially a GFC.

Global review shows full impact of COVID on mental health
A new review on the global mental health impact of the pandemic confirms feared increases in depression and anxiety, with leading experts saying little has been done to address what is set to become a mounting mental health crisis.

Young people, pregnant and postpartum people, and those who were hospitalised with COVID-19 appear to be the most impacted, according to the research published in Frontiers in Psychiatry today.

Led by the University of Sydney’s Matilda Centre for Research in Mental Health and Substance Use, in collaboration with the Australian National University’s Centre for Mental Health Research, the review drew conclusions from screening over 6000 individual pieces of research.

Professor Maree Teesson said while many want to believe we’re “back to normal” in Australia, the statistics show heightened levels of mental ill health that are hard to ignore.

If we don’t act to implement holistic strategies now, particularly for young people, we risk having a whole generation at a long-term disadvantage,” said co-lead author and University of Sydney PhD student Scarlett Smout.

The umbrella review is the first to assess the wide range of international mental health research conducted during the pandemic to untangle the longitudinal mental health impact. Following this, the researchers also collated the results from high-quality studies and used statistical methods (a meta-meta analysis) to identify overall effects.

Research fellow and co-lead author Dr Marlee Bower, also of the Matilda Centre, said: “Using the most rigorous methods and including only the highest quality evidence, our review is the first-of-its-kind to paint an accurate and holistic picture of current science on the mental health impacts of COVID-19."

The review found:​

• Evidence of significant increases in depression and anxiety compared to pre-pandemic levels.
  • Rates of probable anxiety and depression were 24.4% and 22.9% in general populations, but up to 41.1% and 32.5% in vulnerable populations during the pandemic period.
  • Rates of stress, psychological distress and PTSD/PTSS symptoms were 39.1%, 44.2%, and 18.8%, respectively during the pandemic period.
  • Evidence that adolescents, pregnant and postpartum people, and those hospitalised with COVID-19, experienced heightened adverse mental health effects.

A plan for recovery​

In May 2022 Australia’s Mental Health Think Tank released the Youth Recovery Plan, which makes actionable recommendations on how to remediate the mental health impacts of COVID and other crises on young people.

It includes evidence-based recommendations to address the three key drivers of poor youth mental health: financial stress, disconnection and lack of access to mental healthcare.

However, senior author of the new review and Chair of the Think Tank Professor Maree Teesson said minimal progress has been made by governments in these areas.

Notably one of the Plan’s recommendations has been enacted in part: the Australian Government has increased the number of Commonwealth supported places for degrees in mental health related professions.

“However, there have been no meaningful changes to income support schemes such as youth allowance and jobseeker, aside from a $1.77 per day increase to keep up with inflation, despite skyrocketing costs of living,” said Professor Teesson.

The authors hope the new review will focus ongoing attention and investment in the mental health of groups that need it the most, echoing the World Psychiatric Association’s call for continued funding for mental health services despite COVID-19 related strains on global government budgets.

The researchers acknowledge some limitations to the review including considerable variability in findings from included research, meaning the estimates provided by the meta-meta-analysis have some degree of uncertainty. Authors highlight the pervasiveness of poor-quality research, identified through a gold standard appraisal process. While they were able to account for this in the analysis, they emphasise the need for greater quality control in mental health research moving forward.

They also suggest more research is needed into sub-groups likely affected by restrictions and lockdowns such as children and people experiencing housing issues, as well as into the impact of vaccination on mental health

Gronk

Staff member
Our community has been rocked by the Westfields stabbing spree yesterday. Personally i had a moment at the footy knowing that my daughter and her BF were there just before 1pm. She sent me some pics by whatsapp and when I saw a video of cops administering CPR on a shopper in these places that are intimately known to us, a tear rolled down my cheek.

Back at home, stories from neighbours and friends are shared. Everyone seems to know someone who was there or even Ash, the Osteo mum of the baby, who lost her life. The baby was taken to Randwick Children’s and has had surgery. Apparently she was 38 and was trying trying to have a baby for so long.

I don’t really want to talk about him here.

IFR33K

Coach
Thoughts and prayers for the victims, including the female officer that shot the grub. Hopefully she suffers no demons….

Last edited: