What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. North Queensland Cowboys @Townsville

age.s

First Grade
The thing is yes our forwards can bludge in attack when we are rolling but in the past when we are struggling someone like Marto would take a massive run and break the line and get momentum back. We have nothing atm
Yeah to some degree thats probably true. I think there's a big difference between "our pack could use more punch" and "our pack has been getting owned" though.

age.s

First Grade
Happy to leave it out but see my post a couple up. We have struggle to get and keep field position this year.

Our back 5 are still doing their job. Our long kicking game still looks good...

So it leaves the pack not being as dominate
Aren't we the most penalised team in the comp so far? To the eye it seems like were making more errors too. Thatd explain it.

Fangs

Coach
Some people just don't like hard truths. For the most part our forwards get carried by our back 3. To save the energy for defence and big moments in attack. It's just not happening

Hence why I don't like the action on Turuva.

Even if we have the right cattle to replace him. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Frankus

Juniors
I prefer to look at how we got that lead.

Alamoti intercept right on half time

Martin scored because Valemi dropped a kick and came straight to Martin.

Cowboys don't hand us those 2 tries we lose, Despite what I agree was an amazing defensive effort.

now on to the back 30 mins of both halves actually

This was my main concern why we couldn't wrestle back momentum, Particularly if we aren't handed those 2 tries we had no answer.

As was the case 2 games ago v Manly and to a lesser extent last week early in the 2nd half
Our kick chase pressure resulted in points. That is how we play - pressure teams into making mistakes. Our attack was clunky, Luai needs to take on the line instead of always spreading it to May, he would have scored if he went himself on at least 1 Occassion.

Girds89

Bench
Man come on here and read chins say tago needs to be moved for the last 8 pages non stop hahah.

The issues on the right certainly arent on him alone. Nathan said so himself in the press conference.

Its looked weak all year. Individually they are all good defenders but its not clicking atm. Last week they were jamming up which isnt our style. This week they were to slow to slide from the inside and cover.

Whole range of issues there. Havent really read a single comment from the usual suspects that actually adds anything or any analysis on where its breaking down..

Just drop blokes haha.

May and tago will be centres again next week. They are both very good players. And turuva will be back.

Yes the right needs to really work on there structures and get back to where we know they can be.

The idea may can play 2nd row haha. Tdm. Just no lol. Wing or centre for him.

Tago could play 2nd row but no need.. hes our centre. He can be devastating with good ball..now naths back i expect that right side to build both in attack and defence as the season goes on.

I mean wasnt like the cows are a crap team. They are very hard to beat at home.. val holmes is a premier player in the game.

People blaming tago for the try he scored off the scrum... fmd you dont kmow league if you think thats his fault. A bloke as fast as him you have to make sure your inside men are covering. Nath shouldve been there when he jammed back in.

Was poor all round.

But overall in hot humid weather. No ball the whole 2nd half we did extremley well.

We sort out the discipline and few uncharacteristic mistakes we are making every week and watch how far that goes to fixing defence....

Put yourselves under pressure for 40mins and of course blokes will start missing tackles and no covering from the inside as well..fatigue is the biggest part of shit d.

Two points.. roll on. And we arent even close to our best!!! Winning up there not at our best says something about this side and their resolve! No doubt we will continue to improve slowly. I expect we will continue to be a bit up and down and not really start to find our best form till a few weeks post origin if everyone stays fit

Frankus

Juniors
We were up 18-4 at halftime tonight.

Our 3 peat forward pack belts the opposition from that stage and we get a comfortable win.

Teams would hang with us until the 30th min then. Spencer and Sorro would own their bench.

Then a fresh Fish and Moses would bury them
We aren’t the same team. Our pack looks tired and isn’t bending the line. Fish and Leota have been underwhelming. Smith is an honest toiler but would struggle to make the 17 in a lot of other sides. Henry is still maturing into first grade. Garner tries hard but he isn’t damaging. Sorro back is a big gain. The impact forward off the bench is missing at the moment. At full strength I think we need Garner and Geyer on the bench with Smith and Henry. Unless we are going to use Laurie he should go to 18.

The Realist

Juniors
Peak Tago is fantastic. He's been pretty much awful for a 12 months now

I disagree. He was great last year until his pec injury. Ever since he has been suspect defensively. Tonight he was rushing out ahead far too much. Panthers defense is built on moving up as a line together. Some of his cover work has also been substandard and he is also getting bumped off or fended more than he used to.

I think it is a combination of injury, lack of confidence and opposition players working him out a little resulting in muddled decision making and technique. I wouldn't dream of dropping him, but he has to pull the finger out.

Nathan also didn't help tonight. Easily the best defensive halfback in the game but got caught out numerous times. It was apparent to me that he was lacking fitness due to his lay off. He wasn't happy with his performance which was good to see.

One Last point I will make in regards to the too and fro about this game here - Cowboys also lost their centre who is in good form...and we dished out that performance, which honestly was diabolical in the 2nd half. Glad to hang on and get the win though.

Last edited:

BossleyPanther

Juniors
hence why I posted before about moving a centre to the bench.

Give a fresh May or Tago the minutes Mav got. We will be able to get back on top very quickly
I don't think we have the players atm. I think Sorro should go on the bench. Garner did good starting.
Also if Sorro continues to be injured then he is another player who we have to replace from another club.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
You are a joke.

Just a great win and your only contributions are negative. It just sums you up.

You're caught between wanting to be positive and wanting every game to be seen as an uphill struggle that the poor downtrodden western Sydney battlers overcame. We can't be critical but also can't express our confidence in what is the best team in the nrl era. How do we win here?

PennyPanthers81

Juniors
I thought Geyer was meh. He did nothing wrong but… meh.

Alamoti was the surprise packet. Strength, power, and was a handful during that first half. The intercept was a gutsy play by what is essentially a rookie. So impressive so far.

Black Magik

Juniors
We are having a discussion about the game, a game in which Nathan said 'we have plenty to work on'.

So of course people will discuss that stuff that the captain has pointed out
Nathan should have said “I have plenty to work on “.

Latest posts