What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merged Thread 2

girvie

Staff member
Parramatta and Balmain Ryde-Eastwood have continued their undefeated streak in the 2006 Victoria Bitter NSWRL Premier League competitions, after both teams won their tight respective fixtures.

Kicking off the round of Premier League action, Balmain Ryde-Eastwood traveled down to Campbelltown to take on the winless Wests Magpies. Despite still being without two premiership points the game went right down to the final minutes before the Tigers emerged 31 - 24 victors.

In the other Saturday night games, St George-Illawarra were too strong for fellow industrial city, Newcastle at WIN Stadium, whilst Cronulla-Sutherland crushed Newton Jets 44 - 18 at Toyota Park.

For the Sunday games, Canberra kept the Bulldogs winless and at the bottom of the ladder with a 58 - 30 victory, whilst Parramatta 36 defeated the St Mary's-Penrith Cougars 28. Across at North Sydney Oval, Manly-Warringah were too good for North Sydney winning 38 - 20.

Weekend Results:
Saturday April 8:
Balmain Ryde-Eastwood 31 d. Wests Magpies 24 at Campbelltown Stadium
Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks 44 d. Newtown Jets 18 at Toyota Park
St George-Illawarra Dragons 30 d. Newcastle Knights 16 at WIN Stadium

Sunday April 9:
Canberra Raiders 58 d. Bulldogs 30 at Canberra Stadium
Parramatta Eels 36 d. St Mary's-Penrith Cougars 28 at Parramatta Stadium
Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 38 d. North Sydney Bears 20 at North Sydney Oval

Spike

First Grade
I'm going to the Wolves v Magpies game tonight and give a report after the match.

Wolves:

1 Chany Ly
2 Dan Randall
3 Mark Butler (loser)
4 Aaron Mercer
5 Luke Bannon
6 Craig Trindall
7 Darren Baker
8 Tito Niumata
9 Brett Finn (c)
10 Shenelle Haumono
11 Ryan Tremonte
12 Dave Armistead
13 Dan Swindells

14 Mark Deonck
15 Joel Payten
16 Chris Barlow
17 Lino Salafai

Magpies:

1 Steven Mowbray
2 Gordon Graff
3 Mark Luland
4 Pat McKenzie
5 Daniel Bell
6 Jacob Byrne
7 Luke Carr
8 Luke O'Callaghan
9 Ben Bailey
10 Bradley Capovilla
11 Adam Capovilla
12 Willie McLean
13 Brett Sargent

14 Damien Ash
15 Siose Muliumu
16 Justin Bishop
17 Wade Russell
18 Christian Orisini
19 Keiron Herring

girvie

Staff member
Spike said:
I'm going to the Wolves v Magpies game tonight and give a report after the match.
That would be great.

Why is Butler a loser? Wasn't he player of the year last year?

Spike

First Grade
girvie said:
That would be great.

Why is Butler a loser? Wasn't he player of the year last year?

Has nothing to do with his playing ability. We had an altercation years ago after he groped a girl against her will in a nightclub in Newie.

Anyway Windsor won 34-24 tonight. Was a pretty good match and was only decided in the final minutes. Craig Trindall was a late exclusion from the side with Ly switching from fullback to halfback. Windsor opened the scoring when a grubber from 5/8 Ben Stewart was spilled by Mowbray with Butler picking up the scaps to score.

A brawl erupted soon after when the Magpies scored in the corner through Jason Bell with a player each sent to the bin for ten. The Wolves struck back with fullback Dan Russell crossing followed by Brett Finn. The Pies struck back just before halftime with a great try to Damien Ash.

After halftime it got a bit hazy with a few Jim Beam and Colas under my belt but Aaron Mercer crossed for a double for the Wolves. The Pies mounted a comeback wih a couple of quick tries but their goalkicker Jacob Byrne was having an ordinary night with the boot.

Best for the Wolves were Dan Russell who had to switch from the wing to fullback and did a terrific job. Is lightening quick too. Brett Finn and Dave Armistead also had solid games for the Wolves. For the Pies, Adam Capovilla never stopped trying and Luke Carr was pretty good at half.

Nfed

Juniors
Sydney Bulls 22 (Bushby, Ford, de Bartolo, Naiqama tries; Jolly 3 goals) beat Belrose 12 (Bishop, Kmet, Takau tries).

Bulls (95 points)
1. Dane Gilmore (6)
2. Joel Bushby (2)
3. Wes Naiqama (5)
4. Nathan Ford (10)
21. Mo Chahal (2)
13. Willie Grech (3)
6. Steve Jolly (14)
20. Demetri Ainu (2)
11. Chris Smith (3)
12. Phil Takchi (2)
19. Anthony Hadley (10)
9. Nathan Debartolo (12)
10. Joe Tau (8)

14. Ryan Branighan (5)
5. Chris Salem (3)
16. Charlie Nohra (3)
22. Charlie Farah (5)

Belrose (90 points)
1. Nick Leloux (4)
2. Andrew Lambert (9)
3. Franko Kmet (8)
4. James Mortimer (4)
5. Mick Takau (6)
6. Willie Bishop (10)
7. Richie Plummer (3)
8. Kyle Arnold (8)
9. Andrew Needham (2)
10. Bryan Stasiak (6)
11. Steve Carew (8)
17. Martin Cook (3)
13. Greg Hilton (9)

14. Joab Hull (4)
15. Matt Forrest (2)
16. Brandon Scott (2)
22. Chris Jordan (2)

Belrose led 8-6 at half time due to a Willie Bishop intercept. But the Bulls dominated the 3rd quarter of the game to wrap it up. Jolly was sent off late for dissent. Hadley, Kmet and Plummer all on report. Given that Belrose hold the wooden spoon, the score suggests the competition could be fairly even this year.

girvie

Staff member
Thanks for the reports.

Spike, i think you mean Dan Randall (not Russell).

Nfed, how many points is each team allowed? Can you post how they rank each player for points.

I think Belrose will go better with a couple of Manly players such as Willie Bishop and Kyle Arnold. While it looks like a few Canterbury players were playing with the Bulls.

Does anyone know the result of Asquith vs. Cabra? Did any North Sydney players end up playing for Asquith?

girvie

Staff member
Dragon21 said:
Asquith Won 25-18
Hooray. Do you know if there were any late additions to the Asquith line-up? or did they play with their named line-up, which was:
1 Nadim Couri
2 Josh Savage
3 Ruben Enoka
4 Darren Campbell
5 Joe Swamy
6 Brad Clark
7 Chan Ly
8 Nathan McKay
9 Jason Commisso
10 Desai Gupwell
11 Mark Murphy
12 Mark Fakahua
13 Brett Ryan

14 Simon Greaves
15 Mark Adams
16 Rhian Gerard
17 Cooper Mateo
18 Sean Storie

Nfed

Juniors
100 points per team. Points depend on past experience and these are then discounted by 1 point for each completed season with the club, including junior teams, up to 5 points. So if all 17 players have played 5 years with the club you could have a base score of 185. The system changes each year but I think it is something like this.

NRL, ESL - More than 22 games - 20 points
NRL, ESL - 4 to 22 games - 10 points
NRL, ESL - 1 to 3 games - 8 points
P/L, Qld Cup - more than 22 games - 10 points
P/L, Qld Cup - 4 to 22 games - 8 points
JB, Metro, bartercard - more than 22 games - 8 points
JB, Metro, Bart - 4 to 22 games - 6 points
CRL Divisional rep - 6 points
Flegg, CRL 1st grade - 4 points
All others - 2 points

After a lapse of a couple years the Bulls and bulldogs have a relationship again. After we won Metro in 2002 Tippett, Grech and Ryan Asplet played for the Bulldogs in the semis. Last night we got Hadley and Ainu and the Bulldogs have got Mostyn from us on monday. Takchi, Farah and Naiqama trained with the Bulldogs over summer, playing in their trials and Wes played against the Knights a few weeks ago.

Spike

First Grade
girvie said:
Thanks for the reports.

Spike, i think you mean Dan Randall (not Russell).

Nfed, how many points is each team allowed? Can you post how they rank each player for points.

I think Belrose will go better with a couple of Manly players such as Willie Bishop and Kyle Arnold. While it looks like a few Canterbury players were playing with the Bulls.

Does anyone know the result of Asquith vs. Cabra? Did any North Sydney players end up playing for Asquith?

Indeed I did mean Randall. Was a little dusty last night.

Nick LeLoux is a player that I've kept tabs on for a while and rate. Former Central Rips fullback. Was their only shining light week in week out as they got a toweling from other teams.

girvie

Staff member
Newtown 38 defeated Erina 10.

I heard Newtown were an hour late after taking a wrong turn. Does anyone know if that is true?

girvie

Staff member
Nfed said:
100 points per team. Points depend on past experience and these are then discounted by 1 point for each completed season with the club, including junior teams, up to 5 points. So if all 17 players have played 5 years with the club you could have a base score of 185. The system changes each year but I think it is something like this.

NRL, ESL - More than 22 games - 20 points
NRL, ESL - 4 to 22 games - 10 points
NRL, ESL - 1 to 3 games - 8 points
P/L, Qld Cup - more than 22 games - 10 points
P/L, Qld Cup - 4 to 22 games - 8 points
JB, Metro, bartercard - more than 22 games - 8 points
JB, Metro, Bart - 4 to 22 games - 6 points
CRL Divisional rep - 6 points
Flegg, CRL 1st grade - 4 points
All others - 2 points
Thanks for that. It must be a challenge for each club working out who to sign each year.

Do they just give each player the highest points they qualify for eg. if someone played 1 nrl game and 20 Premier League games and 20 Jim Beam Cup games would they be worth 8 points or 22 (8+8+6)?

Spike said:
Nick LeLoux is a player that I've kept tabs on for a while and rate. Former Central Rips fullback. Was their only shining light week in week out as they got a toweling from other teams.
He was on the score sheet most weeks last year. I'm glad he is at a Jim Beam Cup club.

Nfed

Juniors
girvie said:
Do they just give each player the highest points they qualify for eg. if someone played 1 nrl game and 20 Premier League games and 20 Jim Beam Cup games would they be worth 8 points or 22 (8+8+6)?

It is the highest possible rating and doesn't add together. So your example would be 8 points.