What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

Fein

First Grade
ahhh there's plenty of time.

everyone knows souffs won't win a premiership for at least the next 100 years.

Souths don't have to win one for the rest of your mortal existence and still remain in front of the stmerge.

The Roosters are in the same boat, although come Sunday, they will be another 1 more than ZERO. :lol:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If the figures are secondary, shouldn't you be unconcerned that it's 15 or 16?
We all have to count Paul. I have been supporting Saints for 46 years (46 is a number). I always said I'll celebrate the next premiership as being number 16 (16 is a number).

I'll celebrate 16 because of the previous 46 years of experience. Hope that clears things up.

I also hope we win on Sunday. If that happens, it'll be No. 16 to me, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of St George Illawarra supporters who'll agree.

Btw, how do you reconcile the Wests / Cumberland merger of 1909? They were two separate clubs, with different teams in 1908. Cumberland were first to falter and they were forced into a merger with Wests the following year. And yet Wests are listed as being established in 1908.

Do you think it came down to the opinion of the day?

*Paul* said:
As soon as you or anyone articulates a number, it enters the realm of "crunching", and 16 is unsupportable unless one negates Illawarra's part in the JV, or somehow tries to represent St George, Illawarra and SGI as sort of all the one team.
We could always attempt an intelligent conversation and respect each other's opnion. I'm always happy to pitch in.

But you can't tell people how to support their team. I'm sorry if this represents a threat to you or anyone else. It is not my intention to upset that apple cart. I just know the team I support.

As for the record keeping, well there's an abundance of contradictions there already.

I'm sure the good people at Manly-Warringah are happy to keep Steve Menzies' records as try-scoring forward with the Sea Eagles, despite his time with the Northern Eagles, and the undisclosed times he actually scored those tries as a centre.

I am also certain that the NRL, established in 1998, is quite comfy with their record keeping and continuing history of the NSWRL since 1908.

And what of all the exotic name changes over the years? Saints are St George Illawarra Dragons, hardly a major shift to what most people have been familair with for a long time now.

And what about the main jersey? The Red V hasn't changed it's basic design since the 1940s, some 60 or 70 years. The first Red V was in the 1930s!

Cronulla-Caringbah moved to Cronulla-Sutherland before becoming Cronulla, the Sydney Sharks and then the Sharks before going back to being Cronulla-Sutherland again. Shall we talk about Canterbury-Bankstown Sydney Bulldogs and Sydney City Eastern Suburbs Easts Roosters? OMG... imagine the kerfuffle if any of them thought to relocate to a different home ground, or district... oh wait...

I have no problems with any of this. I accept that glitches happen along the way and footnotes are required. But for some reason, Saints are being told to restart in 1999. This flies in the face of what St George and Illawarra want, the continuing history and heritage. Most Illawarra supporters want to be part of this too. After all, we have shared history in rugby league that goes back to the 1920s, and probably back to 1910.

Since when did the NRL, established in 1998, earn the right to tell Illawarra and St George how to recognise our heritage?
Selective quoting expected.

Jason Maher

Immortal
So because two clubs elected to pool their resources and co-operate to compete in the NRL, they now have no right to claim ownership of anything they achieved as separate clubs? Quite simply, get f**ked.

And you've gotta love the dear old Souffs fans, 1 finals appearance in 21 years, bagging anyone else over a lack of success.

The Tank

Bench
St George fans will claim 16th
Everyone else/Illawarra/St George Illawarra fans will claim 1st

Southernsaint

Staff member
So because two clubs elected to pool their resources and co-operate to compete in the NRL, they now have no right to claim ownership of anything they achieved as separate clubs? Quite simply, get f**ked.

And you've gotta love the dear old Souffs fans, 1 finals appearance in 21 years, bagging anyone else over a lack of success.

To watch Souths' last Grand Final appearance you would probably have to did out a reel-to-reel machine from somewhere.

If we win on Sunday I am calling it #16.

The same people who are on here saying it'd be #1 are the same clowns who are saying we've lost our last 5 appearances, so they have little credibility anyway.

Don't letter the bitterness of the fans of the small teams get you down, Saints supporters - enjoy your day.

On the clapping and cheering, you will require permission. Apparently a committee has been formed and you have to fill in an application form. They'll let you know what to do.

You're in good hands. I understand the committee has the backing of the NRL, established in 1998.

But I'd like to know too. In 1977 I cheered my team to a premiership, going to two grand finals. I have cheered the same team for decades. Like you, I went to the same ground talked to fellow supporters I've known for years. Last Saturday I went to the game and cheered for the same team with even more fellow supporters.

And yet, I am told that my support only started at date set by opposition supporters, and the NRL, established in 1998. Well there you go, we learn something new every day.

You were obviously asleep when the merger occurred.

Merger? Forming of a new identity.

You haven't noticed either that you play some of your home games in Wollongong? Why is that? After all nothing has changed for you.

Oh and have you seen the team wear an alternate strip before?

Oh and you must be either blind or f**king ignorant to not have noticed the Illawarra under your teams emblem on your jersey.

Not acknowledging that you have a new partnership in the NRL with Illawarra has just about the same stench as signing Gasnier mid season in a controversial back ended deal!

kurt faulk

Coach

only 2 more days till the chickens get surgeoned and the mighty saints celebrate their 16th premiership.

it's been a long time coming but that will make it so much sweeter.

Fein

First Grade

only 2 more days till the chickens get surgeoned and the mighty saints celebrate their 16th premiership.

it's been a long time coming but that will make it so much sweeter.

:lol::lol:

And then you woke up in a puddle of piss.

meltiger

First Grade
Mate, don't treat me as if I'm just an anti-Saint's troll, I'm anything but. I DESPERATELY want Saints to win on Sunday for my old man.

No, you're wrong, they're right. See? Opinions cross over into brown shirt territory in a blink of an eye.Yes sir! LOL! Or should I say mein fuhrer?

Are you serious? Why would Balmain supporters give a crap about Wests premierships, or Wests fans Balmain's, or Illawarra, St George's?

You do realise in your delusion who you are starting to sound like?

"I don't care what the record books say, I have my dvd's and we still won those premierships"

;-)

Is that the same official records from the NRL, established in 1998.

Look, I have been supporting St George all my life. That doesn't stop just because anyone here, or David Middleton, says so. The NRL, established in 1998, are happy to exploit the history of St George in their promotions. The NRL, established in 1998, are also happy to take ownership of the NSWRL/ARL records and claim them as part of their continuing history.

So you agree,

You will see it as the 16th premiership your team has won, the record books will say it's #1

All this spamming just to agree with me Willow?

:)

Last edited:

CMUX

To watch Souths' last Grand Final appearance you would probably have to did out a reel-to-reel machine from somewhere.

If we win on Sunday I am calling it #16.

The same people who are on here saying it'd be #1 are the same clowns who are saying we've lost our last 5 appearances, so they have little credibility anyway.

Don't letter the bitterness of the fans of the small teams get you down, Saints supporters - enjoy your day.

You can call it what you want but you are wrong, it will officially be premiership number 1 as was the case with Wests Tigers in 2005. The logic is irrefutable, 2 clubs merged to form a new entity whose first year of competition was 1999.

Jason Maher

Immortal
It will be our first Premiership competing as St. George-Illawarra, but it won't be our first premiership overall.

CMUX

It will be our first Premiership competing as St. George-Illawarra, but it won't be our first premiership overall.

The premiership tally of St George Illawarra will be either 0 or 1 after Sunday evening.

The premiership tally of the St George Dragons (no longer competing in the NRL) will indefinitely be 15.

IF we win it'll be No.16. You're wrong, I'm right.

I support St George. You're wrong again, I'm right again.

See the fine line between 'opinion' and telling others how to think? Of course that'll go over your head too. LOL.

You think you're really slick with your invisible writing don't you magic man? Grow some balls and say it straight up.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Officially the NRL claims ownership of the entire history of the NSWRL/ARL back to 1908, thereby contradicting their stance that we don't own the history of St. George and Illawarra. Those 15 Premierships belong to St. George District Rugby League Football Club, which still exists. That history didn't suddenly dissipate because SGDRLFC formed a co-operative partnership with Illawarra District Rugby League Football Club (which also still exists). If we win on Sunday, the premiership will belong jointly to SGDRLFC and IDRLFC, the 16th premiership for the former, and the first for the latter.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
If you're going to be pedantic about premiership tallies, Brisbane have the most NRL titles. Then there's one each for Melbourne, Newcastle, Roosters, Canterbury, Penrith, Tigers and Manly.

The remaining clubs all have none.

Latest posts