What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mergers and Premiership Tallies

How Many GF's have they won

• Total voters

Southernsaint

Staff member
Mate, don't treat me as if I'm just an anti-Saint's troll, I'm anything but. I DESPERATELY want Saints to win on Sunday for my old man.

Are you serious? Why would Balmain supporters give a crap about Wests premierships, or Wests fans Balmain's, or Illawarra, St George's?

You do realise in your delusion who you are starting to sound like?

"I don't care what the record books say, I have my dvd's and we still won those premierships"

;-)

So you agree,

You will see it as the 16th premiership your team has won, the record books will say it's #1

All this spamming just to agree with me Willow?

:)

What Wastes and Balmain do is their own business.

Saints have decided on how they want to represent their records.

I am sure that if, god forbid, we lose to the Bondi Tatts on Sunday people will say that it's our sixth GF loss...

meltiger

First Grade
What Wastes and Balmain do is their own business.

Saints have decided on how they want to represent their records.

I am sure that if, god forbid, we lose to the Bondi Tatts on Sunday people will say that it's our sixth GF loss...

So if Saints suddenly started to claim GFs they had lost as ones they had won, we would have to take them on their stone cold word? :lol:

What will the record books say?

Jason Maher

Immortal
All depends on your terms of reference. Timmah's quite right that if you want to get pedantic about it, Souffs, Canberra, the Gold Coast, the Warriors, North Qld, Cronulla, Parramatta, and us all currently have zero NRL titles. If we can't claim the 15 premierships won as St. George, than other clubs shouldn't be able to claim their premierships won in a different competition. Either mergers wipe the slate clean (for clubs and competitions), or they don't.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Not acknowledging that you have a new partnership in the NRL with Illawarra
Well that's just incorrect. You made that up, not sure why. No worries though, I appreciate that it's difficult for you find a topic where you have some knowledge.
Dragon Slayer said:
has just about the same stench as signing Gasnier mid season in a controversial back ended deal!
Haha. So much jealously.

Bobby DIGital said:
You think you're really slick with your invisible writing don't you magic man? Grow some balls and say it straight up.
Well it upsets you Bobby. Twice now. Can I go for thirds? LOL! Gotcha nose, again.

RockWheel

Bench
If you claim all of St George's records, then you have to claim all of Illawarra's records. So what happened when St George played Illawarra? They won and lost the same game?

meltiger

First Grade
All depends on your terms of reference. Timmah's quite right that if you want to get pedantic about it, Souffs, Canberra, the Gold Coast, the Warriors, North Qld, Cronulla, Parramatta, and us all currently have zero NRL titles. If we can't claim the 15 premierships won as St. George, than other clubs shouldn't be able to claim their premierships won in a different competition. Either mergers wipe the slate clean (for clubs and competitions), or they don't.

What will the record books say.

Jason Maher

Immortal
It's no different to two competing companies merging. The merged company will still claim the complete history of both prior companies, as well as all corporate properties, trademarks, and both customer bases.

meltiger

First Grade
Haha. So much jealously. (Gasnier)

Yeah, don't quite get that one.

Didn't they keep Mark off the books until a certain point in time to ensure they were complying with the rules? As far as i saw, Saint's very carefully managed his return so that they didn't excede the cap?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In 2005, the Wests Tigers won their first premiership as a merged entity. Historically, the two clubs that formed them won 11 (Balmain) and 4 (Magpies).

In 2010, should they win on Sunday, the St George Illawarra Dragons will earn their first premiership as a merged entity. Historically, the two clubs that formed them won 15 (St George) premierships. Illawarra did not win any premierships.

While it is true that it will be St George Illawarra's first, you can't deny older fans of the previous clubs who still support the new club the right to celebrate additional premierships from bygone eras, just because your anti-Dragons record book mentality says so.

Fein

First Grade
If you're going to be pedantic about premiership tallies, Brisbane have the most NRL titles. Then there's one each for Melbourne, Newcastle, Roosters, Canterbury, Penrith, Tigers and Manly.

The remaining clubs all have none.

Shut up Dragonbitchtits.

RockWheel

Bench
In 2005, the Wests Tigers won their first premiership as a merged entity. Historically, the two clubs that formed them won 11 (Balmain) and 4 (Magpies).

In 2010, should they win on Sunday, the St George Illawarra Dragons will earn their first premiership as a merged entity. Historically, the two clubs that formed them won 15 (St George) premierships. Illawarra did not win any premierships.

While it is true that it will be St George Illawarra's first, you can't deny older fans of the previous clubs who still support the new club the right to celebrate additional premierships from bygone eras, just because your anti-Dragons record book mentality says so.

This.

Fein

First Grade
It's no different to two competing companies merging. The merged company will still claim the complete history of both prior companies, as well as all corporate properties, trademarks, and both customer bases.

You are almost there Jason and no disprespect to you personally.

Of course the new enitity inherits the history of both parties, both assets and liabilities.

However any claim by any other party against the new enitity for any issues from day 1 of the merger are against the new entity.

Fein

First Grade

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hang on everyone, it's tin foil hat time!!!!!!!!

Jason Maher

Immortal
All I want, is for one of them to concede the record books will record it as St George-Illawarra's 1st premiership, not St George's 16th

How they choose to celebrate it, is purely up to them. I'm sure Dad will see it as #16 too.

The problem is that St. George-Illawarra (and most of our fans) has an ongoing disagreement with the NRL over how the record books reflect our history. We will admit that this will be our first premiership competing as St. George-Illawarra, but we will not admit that it is our first premiership overall. To put it in full (again), if it happens, it will be the 16th premierhsip for St. George, the first for Illawarra, the first competing as St. George-Illawarra, and the 16th overall.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timmah

Staff member
Shut up Dragonbitchtits.
See as a member of both clubs, even allowing for St George Illawarra's lack of success, I can still claim to support something more successful than your rabble.
As for my bitch tits, you're just jealous people don't check yours out. ;-)
I didn't realise the record books were ex cathedra.
The whole thing is subjective really - while the record books will show 1 premiership after Sunday if you do win, there's no reason fans who were alive back in 79 can't continue to celebrate the long and proud history both clubs have.

No amount of chest-beating and keyboard heroism from opposition fans can change how somebody celebrates, or interprets results. It just comes across as either jealousy or stupidity.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Timmah, the bandwagon dragon lived no where near the sea
And sucked up other saints fans, in land called leagueunlimited.

Sing it Timmy!!!

Timmah

Staff member
All I want, is for one of them to concede the record books will record it as St George-Illawarra's 1st premiership, not St George's 16th

How they choose to celebrate it, is purely up to them. I'm sure Dad will see it as #16 too.
I'm quite sure a number of them are willing to concede (and have done so) that it's STGI's first on the record books. They're objecting to people saying they can't celebrate it as if it's the 16th.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hang on everyone, it's tin foil hat time!!!!!!!!
Are you denying you hate the Dragons?

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
Timmah, the bandwagon dragon lived no where near the sea
And sucked up other saints fans, in land called leagueunlimited.

Sing it Timmy!!!
I actually live 5 minutes from the beach :cool:

Latest posts