What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

Gronk

Staff member
Sky news are running some of a Danny Wiedler interview with Hages after the 12.00 noon press conference. Whilst all questions were leading ones, he basically said that
younger players do not respect the game these days (they showed vision of Timmy & Hayne) and that he hated coaching teams to wrestle. He said that if you didn't you would lose every game.

Y2Eel

First Grade
what, with the same squad as this year?? a bastard squad that he'll inherit for a season?? I think Jack and Wok would even struggle with our squad..

it'll take 3 years to get to where we really want to which will be when the new coach really gets the squad he wants.

What is so wrong with the Squad?

Hayne Grothe Smith Inu Reddy Not a bad backline at all..

Hindmarsh Moi Moi Cayless Mateo Also a classy Pack...

Just needs to get them to get into the game for 80 mins(well not Fui Fui) and have the other players to play their roles he should be doing ok...

bartman

Immortal
Sky news are running some of a Danny Wiedler interview with Hages after the 12.00 noon press conference. Whilst all questions were leading ones, he basically said that
younger players do not respect the game these days (they showed vision of Timmy & Hayne) and that he hated coaching teams to wrestle. He said that if you didn't you would lose every game.
Yeah, Hages came across as yesterday's man, who doesn't want to coach modern players in the modern game.

Having said that, maybe he missed the final two weeks of the season, where the wrestle was well and truly put to bed by the officials, judiciary and the Manly side?

Stagger eel

Staff member
One question Stagger, how many players do you think have actually improved as players since Hagan came aboard?

there's been a couple sigficant improvements, that being INU and Mateo the rest were established first graders but he also gave several youngsters a firstgrade shot which was what supporters were screaming out for..

Hagan simply couldn't lift a side that was under the pump and we ended up playing extremely negative football in the process but to answer your question plenty of individuals did improve as players whilst he was at the helm, not sure whether it was direct result of Hagans tutoring or not but it did happen.

Stagger eel

Staff member
What is so wrong with the Squad?

Hayne Grothe Smith Inu Reddy Not a bad backline at all..

Hindmarsh Moi Moi Cayless Mateo Also a classy Pack...

Just needs to get them to get into the game for 80 mins(well not Fui Fui) and have the other players to play their roles he should be doing ok...

* one class backrower short.

* Hindy and Caylo are a year older.

* uncerrtainty regarding the health of Ben Smith (knee) and Grothe (Back)

* over all depth is weaker.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
there's been a couple sigficant improvements, that being INU and Mateo the rest were established first graders but he also gave several youngsters a firstgrade shot which was what supporters were screaming out for..

Hagan simply couldn't lift a side that was under the pump and we ended up playing extremely negative football in the process but to answer your question plenty of individuals did improve as players whilst he was at the helm, not sure whether it was direct result of Hagans tutoring or not but it did happen.

Did they improve as players though? they always had the ability but tbh i think Inu has gone backwards, Mateo was always a class act that never got an opportunity.

Fair enough he gave the young blokes a chance, but again, Paulo, Weller, Oak either went bacwards this year or really didn't offer anything-anaderson can change that, he's a proven winner.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Did they improve as players though? they always had the ability but tbh i think Inu has gone backwards, Mateo was always a class act that never got an opportunity.

off course they improved..where were they at in 06?

you know Ron, no matter how sh*t a coach can be, it is possible that some individuals can respond to him especially Mateo, who was completely ingnore by Taylor and Smith had a decent first full season but then turned into a "go to" man this year..he's one guy that really responded to him

Fathead

Bench
One thing is a fact - Ando will NOT accept half assed performances from anyone.

One thing though - If Fitzy signs Dave Fairleigh as the coach I will dead set never give up !!!!!!!!!

Delboy

First Grade
If Fitzy signed Fairleigh up as coach, then that would be about it, expect season tickets to be sent back with a request for a refund.

Surely not even our fearless Fitzy would be that stupid ( he could be I guess) NNNOOOOOOOOOO

Avenger

Immortal
I watched the press conference very closely. Assuming he wants the job it will be Anderson. He is only mentioning Fairleigh and Matt Cameron so that they have some incentive to do the job until the Anderson appointment becomes official. Fitzy didn't even try and deny it. I bet he has already spoken to his manager. He knew of Anderson's whereabouts and just about admitted that he was the frontrunner and had a chuckle about the 2 emails that he received. Flanagan would have been one. I wonder who the other was ?

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I watched the press conference very closely. Assuming he wants the job it will be Anderson. He is only mentioning Fairleigh and Matt Cameron so that they have some incentive to do the job until the Anderson appointment becomes official. Fitzy didn't even try and deny it. I bet he has already spoken to his manager. He knew of Anderson's whereabouts and just about admitted that he was the frontrunner and had a chuckle about the 2 emails that he received. Flanagan would have been one. I wonder who the other was ?

Stagger or Mits would be my bet

Ron Jeremy

Coach
If Fitzy signed Fairleigh up as coach, then that would be about it, expect season tickets to be sent back with a request for a refund.

Surely not even our fearless Fitzy would be that stupid ( he could be I guess) NNNOOOOOOOOOO

Dennis it seems like to do things to cause a reaction, he goes against the norm, so the selection of Fairleigh wouldn't surprise me at all.

salvy71

Juniors
Good news for the club , Hagan- nice guy , ordinary coach . Hopefully Anderson gets the nod ......I wouldn't expect him to work wonders next year ........but my prediction of a possible wooden spoon will be upgraded to fringe top 8 with Anderson at the helm .