What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

johnkolc

Juniors
Arrives at the beginning of November. Between now and the start of the season there is effectively four months.

I have heard a rumour, just a small one, that a prop playing in the World Cup has been approached to play for the Eels. He isn't a big name and is from one of the "minnows" but apparently has a reasonably decent upside.

Please tell me it isn't Brett White!!!!

Excellent post Bigfella !

I do strongly believe that Anderson or no Anderson, 2009 will still be a write off for us. 2010 onwards should be a different story....

Regardless of weather or not Prospective Coach Anderson wants these players, what he will being is a drive and passion for the Parramatta club. A desire to succeed that by Former Coach Hagan's own admission he appeared to be lacking last year. While It is unlikely that Parramatta could win the Premiership next year after this years performances and where the players are in their development, I see no reason why this club could not make the top 8 and I would say progress to at least week 2 of the finals (finish in the top 6).

Now some will talk about the halves and all other manner of reasons. But with the right team selections, a fire lit under certain players and a renewed vigor in defense, there is no reason we can't be in the 2009 season up to our eye balls, which after last year I think is all any Parramatta fans could rightfully expect. If we go any better it is a bonus.

TheRam

Coach
Tell me does anyone here think that D Anderson will adjust to the ruck wrestle or get a handle on it quickly enough in his first season back to win the end of season games? Something tells me he is aware of it obviously, but nonetheless will be shocked by it and be puzzled as to how to dominate the ruck like Manly do and get away with it. Plus we need a playmaker.

Bigfella

Coach
Regardless of weather or not Prospective Coach Anderson wants these players, what he will being is a drive and passion for the Parramatta club. A desire to succeed that by Former Coach Hagan's own admission he appeared to be lacking last year. While It is unlikely that Parramatta could win the Premiership next year after this years performances and where the players are in their development, I see no reason why this club could not make the top 8 and I would say progress to at least week 2 of the finals (finish in the top 6).

Now some will talk about the halves and all other manner of reasons. But with the right team selections, a fire lit under certain players and a renewed vigor in defense, there is no reason we can't be in the 2009 season up to our eye balls, which after last year I think is all any Parramatta fans could rightfully expect. If we go any better it is a bonus.

All good points too MITS

TheRam

Coach
Look who we had on 01 running around as our halves Taylor.. Ask Parra Pete What he thinks of the Halfback we had in 05 and 07..

Finch just needs to do his job and the other players will take it from their.. Mateo Is a good ball player..

We could possibly have:

1 Burt
2 Hayne
3 Smith
4 Inu
5 Reddy/Grothe

It the forwards that will be the worry with Just Hindmarsh Mateo Mui Mui and Cayless making up the pack to far... There will have to be a few players step up from wenty and NYC...

They have the skill they just need the mental toughness...

Our pack at the moment will barely be able to dominate the better packs. Well coached, fit and focused they may be solid to good enough to hold their own against the better packs. But the difference as almost always will be what consistent direction they receive when they find themselves in the oppositions quarter. Kicking to your wings and inside passes won't cut it.

Tim Smith was a genius next to Taylor. In saying that I was not a T. Smith fan. The difference was that Taylor had played over a decade of football and up until 2001 with the Eels was always considered as a hot and cold player under pressure.

If someone can get into T. Smiths head then he would rival the best in the game. Unfortunately he himself at this stage of his life at least is his own worst enemy. Having people like piggy joining him will only make it worse. What a tragedy and waste.

Y2Eel

First Grade
Our pack at the moment will barely be able to dominate the better packs. Well coached, fit and focused they may be solid to good enough to hold their own against the better packs. But the difference as almost always will be what consistent direction they receive when they find themselves in the oppositions quarter. Kicking to your wings and inside passes won't cut it.

Tim Smith was a genius next to Taylor. In saying that I was not a T. Smith fan. The difference was that Taylor had played over a decade of football and up until 2001 with the Eels was always considered as a hot and cold player under pressure.

If someone can get into T. Smiths head then he would rival the best in the game. Unfortunately he himself at this stage of his life at least is his own worst enemy. Having people like piggy joining him will only make it worse. What a tragedy and waste.

That where i think Brett Finch would be good we dont need a flashy Halfback like Tim Smith Just one that can guide a team around Finch has done that at the Roosters Played the 04 GF with Freddy so he has played the big games..

We also have Keating who is still very green but can get the ball to the guys like Mateo Inu Hayne Burt..

Like i said our Forwards will be the big Problem but hopefully some of the wenty guys can make the step up. Justin Horo, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeremy Latimore,[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Broderick Wright[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Plus Paulo and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hauraki Can hopefully make the grade....[/FONT]

TheRam

Coach
That where i think Brett Finch would be good we dont need a flashy Halfback like Tim Smith Just one that can guide a team around Finch has done that at the Roosters Played the 04 GF with Freddy so he has played the big games..

We also have Keating who is still very green but can get the ball to the guys like Mateo Inu Hayne Burt..

Like i said our Forwards will be the big Problem but hopefully some of the wenty guys can make the step up. Justin Horo, [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jeremy Latimore,[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Broderick Wright[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Plus Paulo and [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hauraki Can hopefully make the grade....[/FONT]

I hope I'm wrong and you are right.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
Maybe Hages has signed a fijian Prop? thank god the Russians aren't playing,Hages eye for talent would've already signed halve the boys up.

Bazal

Post Whore
Maybe Hages has signed a fijian Prop? thank god the Russians aren't playing,Hages eye for talent would've already signed halve the boys up.

I reckon signing up some Russians would be a masterstroke....get em over here, have em drink the likes of Hayne under the table a few times and the kids will pull up so sick and sore they'll all become teetotallers...:sarcasm:

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I reckon signing up some Russians would be a masterstroke....get em over here, have em drink the likes of Hayne under the table a few times and the kids will pull up so sick and sore they'll all become teetotallers...:sarcasm:

Another example of Hagan thinking outside the square:lol:

yy_cheng

Coach

The only problem is we do not have the quality of Fitler.

Gronk

Staff member
Kerr offers more than a laugh

Article from:
By Christian Nicolussi
October 16, 2008 12:00am

WE'VE had Ron Coote and Roy Bull in league, horse racing's Edgar Britt and Adrian Quist in tennis. Now Ireland have delivered their own wonderfully named cult hero - Wayne Kerr.
0,,6301652,00.jpg

Even if the hard-hitting prop fails to make an impact for the rugby league minnows this World Cup, Kerr is sure to be talked about long after the international tournament has wrapped up.
As the Irish rugby league side touched down in Sydney yesterday, it was Kerr who attracted the most attention, despite having won just three international caps.
The 24-year-old said he had always created a stir because of his name and the extra attention would be no different Down Under.
"As my Ma always said to me, she gave me my name for a reason, so it would never be forgotten,'' Kerr told The Daily Telegraph. "I've been bagged over it my whole life, but it doesn't worry me.
"If the Australian fans get behind me because of the name, brilliant, happy days, I'll enjoy it. Hopefully they'll embrace me. If I can get some game time I'll try and show them it's not about my name but the way I play.''
What other sporting names bring a smile to your face? Use the feedback form below to tell us your favourite ...
Kerr, who plays for Carlow Crusaders in Ireland, only took up league three years ago after spending 12 seasons playing union.
One of four Irish-born players in the Ireland side, Kerr said he was looking forward to putting his nuggety frame on the line against the hard-hitting Tongan and Samoan packs in the pool games.
Ireland coach Andy Kelly said Kerr had copped plenty of flak over his name but he was sure to "rattle some bones'' on the field.
Kelly said there was no way Ireland had travelled halfway around the globe to make up the numbers and would draw on the fighting Irish spirit.
"We're here to be a big part of the World Cup and to be a big part we can't whimper in and whimper out,'' Kelly said. "We're not here to be clowns and be out of the competition after two games.

"We'll have a go in all the games. Tonga and Samoa will be a physical challenge and we won't beat them if we run straight into them, we will have to have a go at playing football.
"We're hoping the Blarney Army are established in Parramatta and enjoy having us here and show their true Irish spirit.''
Ireland left Manchester Airport in economy class while the English side sat in business class on the same Emirates flight. Kelly was not fazed by the divide and wasted no time putting his players through their paces at Narrabeen last night.
First-up for Ireland, who feature Australians Pat Richards and Ryan Tandy, is Tonga on October 27

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24501476-5001023,00.html

Latest posts