What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,24530776-5003409,00.html

When Hagan knew it was over

By Dean Ritchie | October 21, 2008 11:00pm

IT was cold, wet and a game which attracted just 7253 fans at a bleak Parramatta Stadium. It was also the match when Eels coach Michael Hagan knew he was tiring of rugby league.

Hagan says the dull game against North Queensland on July 25 - won 16-4 by Parramatta - was the exact moment he knew he had to quit. Hagan did so yesterday, citing a lack of passion, excitement, enthusiasm and energy for the job.

Former St Helens coach Daniel Anderson is expected to be named Hagan's replacement. Sharks assistant coach Shane Flanagan and Eels assistant Matt Cameron are also candidates.

"It was a game against the Cowboys - I wasn't excited about going to the match and I had been excited about footy since I was four years old,'' Hagan revealed. "It was a really long second half (53 minutes because of video refereeing decisions) and I was really bored.

"It just didn't excite me. I pretty much knew that it was a sign. When I finished playing I went into coaching because of the adrenalin rush. I lost that adrenalin rush. I became crook two weeks later. I was exhausted by that time.''

Aside from losing his desire, Hagan spoke about lost time with his family. He has two daughters going into year 12 in Newcastle next year, another into year 10. And the constant drive along the F3 between home and Parramatta finally got to him.

Hagan stressed he would have made the same decision even if Parramatta reached this year's finals. He gives up a contract for 2009 worth about $350,000 and his decision comes with Parramatta to return to pre-season training on Monday.

"I just don't have the energy and enthusiasm that you need to do this role and I think it's only fair that I make that decision now so the club can make the necessary appointment for next year,'' he said.

"If you're not excited about the game and being in games ... that's why I started coaching and I just wasn't feeling that as much. If that's the case I think you are bound to move on and let someone else jump in that is passionate and wants to coach at the highest level.

"I also have some health issues. I was struggling with the demands the game puts on. There is a lot of pressure and a lot of expectation at a club like Parramatta.''

Asked about coaching again, Hagan said: "I think (former coach) Warren Ryan referred to the fact you get cured of coaching at some point and I think I'm nearly cured of it. I'm happy to leave on my terms.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24530756-5016307,00.html

Gen Y sinks Hagan

By Paul Kent | October 22, 2008 12:00am

BEFORE Michael Hagan walked out yesterday, he walked into Parramatta Stadium. Two Parramatta board members and two lifelong staffers were inside the gates barbecuing for schoolchildren.

"Any news?'' Hagan asked.

It temporarily stopped the conversation. Hagan smiled. "No news is good news.''

"Well, it shocked me,'' said Norm `Bubbles' Sivyer, 87 and stronger than ever. Bubbles didn't know what to make of it. The Eels were still getting their heads around it. Everybody was. Less than 10 minutes later, Hagan confirmed he had quit.

He recalled Warren Ryan once saying that coaching cures you, and he said he was almost cured.

He listed various reasons, all of them good, but it was what he touched on only briefly that is the heart of the matter. Footballers aren't what they used to be.

When the Eels were struggling back in July, Hagan conceded that as he examined his team's attitude, he also examined his own. He spoke around the true answer.

"This year we didn't perform consistently well, however, and some attitudes within the football team were not as good as they needed to be to play consistently at NRL level,'' he said.

Almost half the club, he said, had played less than 50 first grade games. The hidden fact there is that few players with less than 50 games are able to play consistently well, so most coaches disguise them among more seasoned players.

Parramatta didn't have that option.

"That consistent performance by young players needs to be better next year,'' Hagan said.

Hopefully that will be the case. "The game's at a stage where there's some young players in our game that are different to players that we have had come in over the past 10 years,'' he said. "It's another part of the game thathas changed. It is just a slight attitude adjustment.''

A big problem was Jarryd Hayne. Hayne upset senior players when he came out and declared that he wanted to play fullback even though the well liked Luke Burt - a senior player - was at fullback.

All year the mail out of Parramatta has been of a gap between the elder players and Generation Y. There was friction between the groups, and when Hayne went public against a teammate it reinforced everything about Gen Y and strengthened the gap between the two generations.

It is why the Eels need a young coach switched on to Generation Y. Daniel Anderson is the pea for the job but assistant David Fairleigh and Toyota Cup coach Matt Cameron have also been mentioned.

Anderson revealed some of his problems with Gen Y during the English Super League season, most notably his halftime meltdown during the grand final.

These guys don't respond to "my way or the highway'' speeches, no matter how much they might need it. Fairleigh is strong with the younger players, which might be the Eels' best hope as they try to turn around quickly for next year.

Hagan's problem, it turns out, was not a lot different from what Steve Folkes faced at the Bulldogs.
It's hard to coach kids who already know everything.

Finally, before we bid our fond farewells, it would be unfair to let Hagan go without attacking the myth. The one claiming he could not win without Andrew Johns, which underlines every criticism of him.

Hagan's opponents have been running this line for years, pointing to the statistics as the only justification they need.

The statistics say his winning record at Newcastle was 66 from 100 games (66 per cent) with Johns, dropping significantly to 17 wins from 54 games (31 per cent) without Johns.

But let's look at those figures backwards. Johns is considered the greatest halfback of the century. The best player ever in the game's most crucial position.

What sort of coach must Hagan be - or any coach, for they all improved with Johns in the side - if he was unable to improve a team with Andrew Johns in the side?

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,24530914-5016307,00.html
Grind was driving him mad

By Andrew Johns | October 22, 2008 12:00am

MICHAEL Hagan gave up his time to join my walk last Sunday and I got an inkling then his coaching days may be numbered.

We had a pretty good chat.

He was originally only going to do the first five kilometre stage but ended up walking three hours with us to Redhead on the beach at Lake Macquarie.

He talked about the constant commuting to Parramatta driving him crazy and just from what he was saying, I could tell he was missing the quality of life with his wife Sue and his daughters Melissa, Lauren and Danielle still living in Newcastle.

But it still caught me by surprise to hear yesterday he was pulling the pin now with a season to go at the Eels. He never let on that his passion and energy for coaching had completely dried up and he was looking at doing something else this soon.

I can only imagine his announcement yesterday would have lifted a big load off his shoulders. He was obviously sick of the constant grind of coaching which is the main reasons I will never take it up.

I'd also say the way the game is played now has had something to do with it as well. He is not a big fan of the methodical, ruck-dominated game. Rugby league is going to miss Hages. For one thing, it's going to miss his honesty and his easy-going nature.

Professional sport can be pretty cut-throat but Hages' never got caught up in the politics. He was a players' coach first and foremost. The welfare of his players was what it was all about for him.

Personally. he was the most influencial coach I had as a player and for that reason, my best football came when I was playing under him.

With all my off-field dramas, he had a lot to deal with and he probably aged quite a bit because of me. But he was able to bring out the best in me because he understood me so well and was such a great people manager. I'm not sure any other coach would have copped with me like he did.

Without doubt, his greatest triumph was obviously the Knights premiership win in 2001. It always irks me whenever the grandfinal is mentioned and Hages doesn't get the credit he deserves for us winning the game's ultimate prize that year.

He was a first year coach and the whole environment at Newcastle that season which culminated in the premiership win was created by him. The thing with Hages is it didn't matter how good or bad the team was going, his relaxed and steady temperament never changed. We loved playing under him and it wasn't just me he brought the best out of.

We went into that grandfinal against Parramatta under absolutely no pressure and with a great game plan that was all attributed to him and it showed in the way we played.

The game has lost a great coach but even more, it's lost a great bloke.

StEely Matt

Juniors
"Hagan says the dull game against North Queensland on July 25 - won 16-4 by Parramatta - was the exact moment he knew he had to quit."

Well if he knew then, then for the benefit of the club he should have informed the club them in terms of recruiting and resigning, shouldn't he?

StEely Matt

Juniors
Bit dodgy posting and quoting facebook updates and comments on a public forum imo - kind of goes against a person's choice to manage their own facebook privacy.

Eric's profile is not open and publicly accessible to all (unlike Guru Sr's).

Again, I'm sorry... I wasn't really thinking... but realised straight after I did it that I shouldnt have... sorry

Gronk

Staff member
I see Joey has written about Hages being over the F3 commute. The gents on The Backpage last night were most sympathetic about poor Mick's arse, having to travel all that way on the freeway every day.

Er, hold on - didn't he have a place at Castle Hill ? :-$

bartman

Immortal
Hagan says the dull game against North Queensland on July 25 - won 16-4 by Parramatta - was the exact moment he knew he had to quit. Hagan did so yesterday, citing a lack of passion, excitement, enthusiasm and energy for the job.
Well he sure took his time about coming to the final decision - the season's been dead for six weeks, he should have quit the day after our final game if that's how he'd been feeling?

bartman

Immortal
A big problem was Jarryd Hayne. Hayne upset senior players when he came out and declared that he wanted to play fullback even though the well liked Luke Burt - a senior player - was at fullback.
I knew this loomed as a big problem at the time. The goose should never have made public comment to the media before raising the issue with the coach. It's a team game, not a game for individuals and hopefully Jarryd has learned his lesson, or he and his big money contract may as well f**k off so we can have the chance to find/keep an emerging player with more of the healthy attitude (and the consistent success this season) of David Williams.

bartman

Immortal
Joey said:
I can only imagine his announcement yesterday would have lifted a big load off his shoulders. He was obviously sick of the constant grind of coaching which is the main reasons I will never take it up.
Good, and you can take your cushy $40K coaching consultancy and f**k off from our club too Joey! :arrow:

Jodeci

Bench
I see Joey has written about Hages being over the F3 commute. The gents on The Backpage last night were most sympathetic about poor Mick's arse, having to travel all that way on the freeway every day.

Er, hold on - didn't he have a place at Castle Hill ? :-$

He only stayed there when there was an early session the next day

Fathead

Bench
I dont know about the Gen Y doesnt respond to the half time meltdown theory.
The blokes at St Helens always knew that Ando was the boss just like the Sharks boys know that Sticky is the boss there.
I believe that Hayne would have never pulled this stunt if Ando was in charge.

AND AGAIN .. Please NO FAIRLEIGH !!!

The Colonel

Immortal
Having watched footage of Anderson going off in the past at St Helens, if the rumour that Hagan had a few youngsters in tears when he raised his voice at halftime, there will be kids in the foetal position in the corner of the room if they dish up the same sh*t.

Having watched footage of Anderson going off in the past at St Helens, if the rumour that Hagan had a few youngsters in tears when he raised his voice at halftime, there will be kids in the foetal position in the corner of the room if they dish up the same sh*t.

You know that is interesting.

Apparently Hages tore the paint off the walls after the Saints away loss on Monday night football in 2007. The Players responded with a great finals run starting with a complete smashing of Brisbane.

Then he does it in 2008 and the Players have a sook. . . . I have heard it wasn't like tears or anything but they were upset at how they were being treated. Thinking some expectations were not relayed to them sort of thing.

Interesting still.

Avenger

Immortal

Apparently Hages tore the paint off the walls after the Saints away loss on Monday night football in 2007. The Players responded with a great finals run starting with a complete smashing of Brisbane.

Then he does it in 2008 and the Players have a sook. . . . I have heard it wasn't like tears or anything but they were upset at how they were being treated. Thinking some expectations were not relayed to them sort of thing.

Interesting still.

I cannot wait dor Anderson to arrive. The Prima donnas can all go as far as I'm concerned. Also players who are more concerned with their next tattoo then the next game can follow them.

PS

In the Australian Anderson is quoted as saying that the Parra job is something that he is very interested in and is a dream come true if it comes to fruition. This is exactly the type of coach we need.

Avenger

Immortal
This is the article

Anderson in box seat after Hagan walks out on Eels

DANIEL ANDERSON is the hot favourite to replace Michael Hagan at Parramatta after Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald acknowledged the club would look favourably on candidates with a firm approach to discipline.
Hagan stunned the Eels board at a meeting on Monday night when he announced he was quitting his post, effective immediately, despite having another year to run on his $300,000 contract.
The players will return for pre-season training on Monday under assistant coaches David Fairleigh and Matthew Cameron. The club hopes to have a full-time replacement for Hagan before Christmas.
Given Anderson is available and has enjoyed success with the Warriors and English Super League club St Helens, he is the $1.40 favourite for the job in Sportingbet Australia's market.

Other names mentioned include Fairleigh, Cameron, Sharks assistant coach Shane Flanagan, Bulldogs assistant Jim Dymock and former NRL coaches Steve Folkes and Graham Murray.
However, adding weight to Anderson's claim is the fact he is a noted disciplinarian, and came through the Eels' lower grades under coach Brian Smith.
The club has experienced several off-field problems this year, beginning with a drive-by shooting at Kings Cross involving star back Jarryd Hayne in March.
"We've got to be firmer with them off the field and discipline is going to play a very large part in the decision," Fitzgerald said.
Even Hagan acknowledged yesterday the club had underperformed this season because of some players' attitudes.

"There were some attitudes within the football team that weren't as good as they needed to be to play consistently at NRL level," Hagan said.
Fitzgerald, who spoke to Anderson's manager Jim Banaghan yesterday, said the club was keen to speak to the former Warriors coach when he returned from an overseas holiday.
"I think he could do the job, he's got the right credentials," Fitzgerald said.
"Daniel gets a tick in terms of being a first grade coach in three different countries, so that is a big advantage."
Anderson, who is due to arrive back in Australia on Melbourne Cup day, said from the US yesterday that the Eels coaching position was his dream job.
"If Parramatta have any interest then I have an incredible amount of interest," Anderson said. "It's a job I've always coveted."

Hagan's future at the club had been the subject of speculation and the board was to tell him before March 1 whether he would continue in the job past 2009.
However, Hagan maintained yesterday that several other factors had forced his hand including his family, his health and the fact he had lost his passion for the job.
"The first thing I said to Denis last Thursday was speculation about reappointing or extending my tenure at the club was the furthest thing from my mind given the decision I was about to make," Hagan said.
"The process is pretty full on and the game is not getting any easier for the players or the coaches.
"I'm happy to leave on my terms and I'd rather it end that way than in other ways."
Arriving at Parramatta from Newcastle for the 2006 season, Hagan enjoyed tremendous success initially after steering the Eels to the preliminary finals.
However, expectations they could go one better this year quickly evaporated as the club struggled for consistency.
Hagan said he started having second thoughts about seeing out the final year of his contract when the Eels were going through a tough patch in July.
He said he was also tired of the commute to and from his home in Newcastle and his three daughters were about to start crucial years at high school.
There was also the matter of his health as Hagan suffered a bout of vertigo in the lead-up to a game against the Sydney Roosters in August.
"When I got crook, I was really struggling with the demands the game puts on you," he said.
Hagan said he was unsure whether he would coach again.

"I think (former premiership-winning coach) Warren Ryan referred to the fact that you get cured of coaching at some point," he said. "I think I'm nearly cured of it."

Source:

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24531076-5012431,00.html

Gronk

Staff member

Interesting still.

Both Hagan and Folkes have said that they have problems getting through to genY players. Hagan agreed with Folkes's statement that it's hard at times to tell some of these kids what to do, when they already know everything...

barney gumble

Juniors
Both Hagan and Folkes have said that they have problems getting through to genY players. Hagan agreed with Folkes's statement that it's hard at times to tell some of these kids what to do, when they already know everything...

Fair enough but a good coach who demands 300K plus a year should be able to get past this communication issue.
Do you think Wayne Bennett puts up with this sort of crap?

I hope the club gives the new coach the backing to weild a big stick when necessary, no matter how high profile the player is.

Bigfella

Coach
I personally don;t put much stock in labelling generations and generalizing charateristics to them.

BUT: The fact is that the attitude of our core playing group led both Brian Smith AND Michael Hagan (at least in part) to resign early.

This suggests that we will need much more than just a change of coach.