What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Michael Hagan quits as Parramatta Eels coach

Y2Eel

First Grade
It would be good to see Rip coach due to the fact he has Been involved with the club through Wenty and would have a good gauge which players from Wenty could make the step up to first grade....

I'd also hope they would choose a new coach before xmas, to give them a few extra weeks to prepare for the next season...

bartman

Immortal
Thanks for your contribution Hagan... and enjoy whatever comes of your future.

And welcome back to Daniel Anderson :clap: once it gets confirmed officially of course. 2009 is suddenly looking good, and I hope the players pull their fingers out in training in anticipation of having to impress a new coach.

If we end up with Folkes or any of the other nuffies mentioned I'll be quite disheartened. I'm sure Rip does a good job at Wenty and is a good bloke, but really we need a top notch coach proven at the highest levels to turn this mess around.

Smartman

Juniors
The same Anderson that played footy commentary to his Warriors team at Halftime in the 02 Grand Final.

A match made in heaven. :cool:

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, that was a good Denis spray, using the opportunity of the press conference to serve it up about a journo.

Bazal

Post Whore
I danced when I heard this....don't get me wrong, I wish Hages the best in terms of his health etc...but f**k it was good news.

forward pass

Coach
I am unaware of this incident. What actually happened?

Honestly - I don't know the full story but Kevin Campion wrote an article about the ridiculous half time stunt that Anderson tried at half time of the grand final (When Warriors were beaten by the Roosters). It all sounded quite bizarre. It is on the NRL board somewhere.

Gronk

Staff member
zing.gif

Campion launches attack on Anderson over 2002 Grand Final
Sun October 1, 2006
Former New Zealand Warriors captain Kevin Campion has today launched a scathing attack on former Warriors coach Daniel Anderson and revealed one of the reasons why the Warriors lost their way in their only Grand Final appearance in 2002.

Campion was lock and captain of the Warriors in 2002 in the year they made their only Grand Final where they took on the inform Sydney Roosters outfit. The Warriors were down 6-2 at half-time when Anderson arrived in the sheds to what Campion and the players thought would be addressing the side.

Speaking to the Sunday News in New Zealand, Campion said,

"That halftime speech goes down as one of the worst things I have ever heard - it was just ridiculous.

"I am not too sure what he was thinking. He made us this tape of a mock commentary and must have thought the Broncos would make the Grand Final.

"He never addressed us at halftime.

"He brought a tape recorder in, said, 'Boys I want you to listen to this', and then walked out.

"It starts playing, 'Welcome to the 2002 grand final, the Warriors versus the Broncos.'

"I flipped out and thought, "What is this?"

"I was just going, 'Turn that s*** off'.

"I was screaming, 'What the **** is this?'"

Included on Anderson's pre-recorded tape was the Warriors scoring the match-winning try against Brisbane in the Grand Final. The week before the decider, the Roosters defeated Brisbane in a controversial match at Aussie Stadium where the Broncos couldn't buy a penalty until the final two minutes. The following day the Warriors defeated Cronulla in a triller at Telstra Stadium to setup the Grand Final showdown.

Stacey Jones scored a brilliant individual try straight after the break but from where it was all the Roosters as the Warriors lost their way and composure. The Roosters piled on four unanswered tries to runaway with the match 30-8.

Anderson lost the support of the Warriors players and was sacked from his position as coach in 2004. Anderson is now coaching English Super League club St Helens where on Friday night they qualified for the Grand Final defeating Hull FC 12-8 in an absolute classic at Knowsley Road. Hull FC will now take on Bradford at KC Stadium this coming Friday night to determine who'll play the Saints in the decider at Old Trafford on Saturday 14th October.

Campion enjoyed a good career where he played in Grand Finals for three different clubs with only Phil Sigsworth, Genn Lazarus and Anthony Mundine also achieving that feat. Campion was a member of the St George 1996 Grand Final side, played in Premiership victories with Brisbane in 1998 and 2000 and of course was co-captain of the Warriors in 2002. Campion also had stints with Gold Coast, Adelaide and finished his career at North Queensland in 2004.

The timing of Campion's attack on Anderson is very odd that it has taken four years for this to get out and comes out on the eve of the 2006 Grand Final between Melbourne and Brisbane.

What brought about this sudden out burst and why it has taken four years for Anderson's apparent half-time talk to now be revealed?

http://www.rleague.com/db/content/25000/25961.php

fish eel

Immortal
Such a shocking half time talk it took 4 years to come out?

Campion must have really been outraged!

TBH, it is an interesting ploy. Wonder what would have happened if the names on the tapes were correct.

Its a nice little emotive Idea, this will be heard when you win sort of thing. Meh.

I have heard though of Wayne Bennett's speeches to the players before the go out for a grand final. Something along the line of.

"You see those doors. Those doors lead you to the pitch. If after the next 80 minutes, you haven't won the premiership. Its not worth coming back through those doors."

Latest posts