What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Millennium Magic Saturday

Copa

Bench
That stadium is amazing!!

Was a great first day. Bit strange how they turned the lights down/off between games.

JasonE

Bench
An amazing end with Leeds going for a penalty goal to draw the match right on full time, only to miss and Tansey who was believed to be offside, gathers the ball and scores.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Superb event and a great success for the game. Almost 60,000 attended over two days, and the hospitality was second to none. All the Welsh people I met seemed to be enjoying themselves, and certainly all the SL regulars were. Hopefully next time more will attend. I can't speak highly enough about this event.

brendothejet

First Grade
I'm gonna come over for 2009 I think. 2008 will see me travelling the length and breadth of Australia for the WC but in 09 a super league junket is well in order. Maybe come home through russia and america for a bit of a look at some locals.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Make sure you take your video camera for You-Tube Brendo, I'd love to see some footy from these places.

JasonE said:
An amazing end with Leeds going for a penalty goal to draw the match right on full time, only to miss and Tansey who was believed to be offside, gathers the ball and scores.
I'm not sure if i've ever seen a better definition of the word "Robbed". The referee gave that match to Leeds in the last minute. Firstly, he gave a penalty for offside (Said Ball came off a Bradford player, which was taken by another Bradford player) when it clearly came off the Leeds player. It should have been a scrum for accidental offside rather than the penalty. Then they scored off a penalty kick, when they were clearly in front of the kicker.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
What a way to end the weekend though huh? (I'm sure my friends from Bradford would disagree)

Sounds like an unreal event. Hopefully I'll be able to get over there next year.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
“I’m proud of the fact that in this sport, fans of rival clubs can sit together in perfect harmony to watch derby games, without a hint of trouble. Not many other sports can boast such remarkable supporters and they should be applauded.” - Richard Lewis

I agree. I'm sure there would've been a few (probably more than a few) drunken idiots that got thrown out and caused minor trouble, but the fact that I haven't come across any reports of poor crowd behaviour is extremely pleasing. Well done to all the 12 clubs supporters.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Just reading McNamara's thoughts, he sounds pretty adamant that there is a conspiracy to keep games close. Great spray at the PC.

deluded pom?

Coach
A word of advice for any Aussies who plan to watch a delayed broadcast of the games. Don't waste your time and energy watching the Hull derby. It has to be one of the worst games I've ever seen. That's not sour grapes either. I would have told you the same if Hull F.C. had won. You have been warned.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Just watched 'Boots n All'. All I can say in regards to that Bradford-Leeds game is wow! Two of the most absurd decisions I have ever seen. I'd love to hear an explanation from Ganson. Tony Smith looked embarrassed in his interview after the match.

jed

First Grade
As a Bulls fan I feel robbed, a lot more than most incorrect calls, but I can't believe that anyone would seriously expect Leeds to hand over the points, nor do I think the RFL would set the precedent by overturning the result.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
They won't give up the points, and I don't think they should. They played to the whistle and got the points. That isn't to say that I wouldn't be horribly embarrassed if I was a Leeds fan.

bartman

Immortal
Many people at the ground (Leeds and Bradford fans) didn't realise the offside, but to me on the half way line it was as plain as day, and I couldn't believe he didn't go to the video. What else should a referee be doing after the siren when his touch judges are behind the goalposts except check that players are onside? Ganson was asked to do so by Bradford players, and arrogantly refused.

Absolutely robbed and the worst refereeing performance I have seen in 3 years of watching here. They can't give back the points, and they've been quite plain in saying the decision was wrong and cost the game. But they should dock Ganson's full-time ref wages for making such an obvious and important error.

bartman

Immortal
Oh, and my mate Terry Newton copped three weeks for the hit on Thackray, even though Thackray tendered evidence that he had slipped on the greasy surface. I certainly get the feeling the league "owes" Bradford one after this weekend, and I don't blame the Bulls for reminding them in publicly asking for the points.

Latest posts