What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mitch Rein needs to go

Godz Illa

Coach
If he was playing behind Manlys pack you may have a point. I don't recall hookers getting picked primarily to tackle front rowers 40 times every week while the other forwards stand back and watch? You didn't mention the other 2 forwards that missed Paulo once Rein had slowed him down? You didn't mention Rein getting us a repeat set or saving a try? Rein does what he can with what he's got and Cam Smith would struggle with our pack ATM. With 50% completions we were lucky we weren't playing against a better team!
More waffle and excuses.

Manly's pack isn't any bigger than ours. Outside of Stewart and Watmough it is mostly rejects from other clubs. They just have a good coach and yes, a good hooker.

lol at using the Cam Smith example. A stupid, pointless line that cannot be proved. Truth is I dream of having a hooker as talented as Smith playing for us. Here's an idea: why don't we try to find one?

GT0007

Juniors
More waffle and excuses.

Manly's pack isn't any bigger than ours. Outside of Stewart and Watmough it is mostly rejects from other clubs. They just have a good coach and yes, a good hooker.

lol at using the Cam Smith example. A stupid, pointless line that cannot be proved. Truth is I dream of having a hooker as talented as Smith playing for us. Here's an idea: why don't we try to find one?

I never said Manlys pack was bigger than ours but they are sure performing better which was my point and a valid one. I could've used any hooker as an example as if there is no go forward there is no opportunities for a hooker and its the same for the halves as we have proven this year after using 4 with the same result. Go buy yourself 4 good hookers and destroy them by putting them in our team. The coach is clearly the problem and beyond that we really don't know until its fixed

Godz Illa

Coach
Yep, the coach has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

“I was really proud of Mitch Rein’s effort today,” Price said after the match.
“If he keeps going like that he’s definitely going to put his hand up in contention for that sky blue jersey.”

BennyV

Referee
So you suggest to keep Hunt playing every week?

We need a shake up .. players need to be dropped and work for their spots!

I cant stand seeing Dan Hunt playing first grade right now because his form is horrible, but I would still pick him over Groat, who is slow, lazy and offers nothing at NSW Cup level. When he gets the ball, its like someone hit the slowmo button. Its disturbing to see.

Ailomai, JDB, Stockwell yes.

Cruisin_Dugan

Juniors
I cant stand seeing Dan Hunt playing first grade right now because his form is horrible, but I would still pick him over Groat, who is slow, lazy and offers nothing at NSW Cup level. When he gets the ball, its like someone hit the slowmo button. Its disturbing to see.

Ailomai, JDB, Stockwell yes.

That's one of the reasons we are where we are .. NOBODY is afraid of being dropped .. Now i'm not for a second suggesting that Groat or these other Cutters players are BETTER than our top 17, however the top 17 are not perfoming and do not fear being dropped.

what do we have to lose other than, well, losing. which we are anyway ..

2 things could happen by doing that:

Groat etc get excited about playing first grade and put in 100%. i can live with that.

Hunt etc after being dropped re asses their value to the team and put in 100% to be recalled. again i can live with that!

what i can't live with is the same people being picked in the same position every week for the same team when they put in the same shitty effort!

so don't complain in 6 weeks time when we're 2nd last and still losing games convincingly with the same 17 players. Cos you asked for that....

jenninga

First Grade
The key difference being Soward was not in the team primarily for his defence. Soward conducted the team and won us games with his ballplaying, passing and kicking game. Rein is producing nothing near that, in fact he is a hindrance. If he could tackle like Matt Ballin I'd forgive the lack of creativity, poor service, errors, penalties and lack of any ability to engage defence and help our forwards roll on. And if he could provide us thrust around the ruck i could forgive his poor defence. At the moment all he's providing is an uninjured body, the occasional kick and "trying hard".

Bit harsh on Rein,he put his body on the line when Paulo ran into him but where were the other defenders,didn't want to know.As I said before people see the odd missed tackle but forget the other 40 odd tackles he does make.

Godz Illa

Coach
Bit harsh on Rein,he put his body on the line when Paulo ran into him but where were the other defenders,didn't want to know.As I said before people see the odd missed tackle but forget the other 40 odd tackles he does make.
It's the tackles themselves I look at, rather than the tackle count. He's a weak defender and is being targeted - hence the high count

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
I never said Manlys pack was bigger than ours but they are sure performing better which was my point and a valid one. I could've used any hooker as an example as if there is no go forward there is no opportunities for a hooker and its the same for the halves as we have proven this year after using 4 with the same result. Go buy yourself 4 good hookers and destroy them by putting them in our team. The coach is clearly the problem and beyond that we really don't know until its fixed

We had 4 reasonable hookers last year
,and now we are down to one.

Minh

First Grade
Price's quote about how Rein was a contender for the sky blue jersey early in the year shows to me how much lacking he is in knowledge and keeping things in perspective. While a coach like Mc Guire says "We were taught a lesson today" against Melbourne last round, Price would likely to say "there were a lot of positives today".

GT0007

Juniors
It's the tackles themselves I look at, rather than the tackle count. He's a weak defender and is being targeted - hence the high count

If he was a weak defender he wouldnt have the tackles next to his name, you don't get anything for a missed tackle so that means he makes 40 tackles every game. On average he misses 1 maybe 2 when we have other players who only make 20 and miss another 4 or 5. Do the math! Also acknowledge the try saving tackles he makes. Take Rein off and who do you expect to make them? Harrsion? Hunt? He is being targeted as he's small not cos he's a poor defender, it's old school mentality but coaches do it. If they were targeting weak defenders they'd run at Harrison and Hunt all day

The fact is that even if rein was as bad as you declare he is there is no better option at the club right now

Last edited:

Godz Illa

Coach
If he was a weak defender he wouldnt have the tackles next to his name, you don't get anything for a missed tackle so that means he makes 40 tackles every game. On average he misses 1 maybe 2 when we have other players who only make 20 and miss another 4 or 5. Do the math!
If it's not a quantifiable statistic you don't want to know about it do you? It's not all about math!

GT0007

Juniors
That's one of the reasons we are where we are .. NOBODY is afraid of being dropped .. Now i'm not for a second suggesting that Groat or these other Cutters players are BETTER than our top 17, however the top 17 are not perfoming and do not fear being dropped.

what do we have to lose other than, well, losing. which we are anyway ..

2 things could happen by doing that:

Groat etc get excited about playing first grade and put in 100%. i can live with that.

Hunt etc after being dropped re asses their value to the team and put in 100% to be recalled. again i can live with that!

what i can't live with is the same people being picked in the same position every week for the same team when they put in the same shitty effort!

so don't complain in 6 weeks time when we're 2nd last and still losing games convincingly with the same 17 players. Cos you asked for that....

I don't think anyone disagrees with you its only the players you want to come in as replacements. I don't think there's any way can Hunt and Harrison not be dropped and Cooper needs to show a bit of pride in his defense as well. Creagh didnt have a great game either.

GT0007

Juniors
If it's not a quantifiable statistic you don't want to know about it do you? It's not all about math!

It's not just the amount of tackles thats important its also the relationship of missed tackles. The more attempts at tackle the likelyhood that the misses will also be higher but in Reins case he is missing less tackles than people who are making half the attempts that he is. He defenitely makes more one on one tackles as well

Rein makes 40 tackles and misses 2
Hunt makes 20 tackles and misses 5
Harrison makes 20 tackles and misses 5

Tell me you cant quantify that?

For the record Widdop misses just as many as Rein as well without attempting anywhere near as many. Widdop also made 4 errors.

Reins service from DH was fine against Parra and while he came up with some errors he didnt single handedly cost us the game. We completed 19/38 sets.........hello!

There was a time when Reins passing slowed the runners down but this year I can't see it. What I see is a player having a go and if we had 17 that did we'd be winning games if we match it in the ruck and complete our sets and stop getting rediculous freaking calls from the refs as the players have the talent if they have the heart!

jenninga

First Grade
it's not just the amount of tackles thats important its also the relationship of missed tackles. The more attempts at tackle the likelyhood that the misses will also be higher but in reins case he is missing less tackles than people who are making half the attempts that he is. He defenitely makes more one on one tackles as well

rein makes 40 tackles and misses 2
hunt makes 20 tackles and misses 5
harrison makes 20 tackles and misses 5

tell me you cant quantify that?

For the record widdop misses just as many as rein as well without attempting anywhere near as many. Widdop also made 4 errors.

Reins service from dh was fine against parra and while he came up with some errors he didnt single handedly cost us the game. We completed 19/38 sets.........hello!

There was a time when reins passing slowed the runners down but this year i can't see it. What i see is a player having a go and if we had 17 that did we'd be winning games if we match it in the ruck and complete our sets and stop getting rediculous freaking calls from the refs as the players have the talent if they have the heart!

:bdh:

Godz Illa

Coach
Weak tackles = tackles that result in fast play the balls. Go find a stat on that so you can effectively engage in discussion on it.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I see Rein is a favourite player of yours Godz.....Not

Funny how the commentators wrap him alot. They must see something in him we don't but then again they also think Price can coach.