What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moltz staying

Borat.

Juniors
Well I reckon it'll come down to one of those two getting the door. Ellis leaving wouldn't be hard to replace.

Slot Blair into his position, Groat, Woods and Bell will all be able to play at Prop.

Or Blair can start at Prop, Fulton to second row, where he played better than ever at this year.

If Tuqiri goes, Tigers could have enough coin to re-sign Brown and compensate Dragons for taking Moltzen back. Backline is sorted out then too.

Ellis not hard to replace??? Player of the year 3 years on the trot ...are you for real

We have lost Daniella , Gibbs, Fifi, Payto, Tnt, cayless, Wade, and possibly Lui ....who else.... surley we can re sign him on a back ended contract ....

Dragon2010

First Grade
His decision. He's only human. Whatever I guess. We never technically "had" him yet (ie. Play a game) so not aware of how significant the loss will be to us).

Good luck to him either way.

hutch

First Grade
No ever said that. Some said McKinnon should have been picked ahead of Moltzen earlier in the year, which he was.

McKinnon was decent at the start of the year, then admittedly had a few shockers and was dropped.

Moltzen played like shit for all bar 6 games or so at the back end of the season, f**k people have short memories.

He had a knee reco last year! It takes a good 12-18 months before you are back to your best. He is a quality footballer and is a massive asset to our team. We should never have let him go!

Tiger05

First Grade
He had a knee reco last year! It takes a good 12-18 months before you are back to your best. He is a quality footballer and is a massive asset to our team. We should never have let him go!

Yep. It was a dumb decision. He just needed time.

People seem to forget...he isn't a fullbacks arsehole.

He can't catch a high ball. HE REFUSES TO CATCH BOMBS!
He has no idea about positioning. Offers nothing as a second receiver. Has no kicking game. Has ordinary defense. Refuses to run the ball straight on returns. Doesn't break the line on returns. Has a pea heart.

He is a hole runner and a very good one and has great connection with Benji.

But he is missing so many other components that make a good fullback.

But.....I've been wrong before...particularly about Ayshford and even Lui started to prove me wrong. Maybe Sheens knows what he's doing...

Das Hassler

Bench
One other thing worth keeping in mind with Motzen....he's 20 years old and had a year off with a full knee reconstruction...why doesn't the guy deserve a chance to develop?. Not reffering to you Mr Shanghai (you seem to be a very fair person) but quiet a few of the RL technicians here seem to be able to assess a players nett future worth by the handfull of game they've seen...i think it's fair to suggest that Sheens and most of the other senior coaches know what they need to see (and hear) to know the potential of a player..i was at Benji's second game for the Tiges at the end of the '02? season...i was standing amongst a bunch of the Tiger faithful and they were giving it to Marshall with both barrels.."doesn't know where to stand"..doesn't know the first thing about anything".."who the f--k signed this idiot ?!" etc etc ...i would guess they would have all considered themselves fairly good judges of potential?...well who could have guessed that confused looking kid was worth perservering with?. Motzen might not reach the heights but he was pretty good before the knee buckled..he's a confidence player and !!!...he's still only 20. I'd suggest that any non NRL coach here who emphatically states that he'll amount to nothing may just very well be ....an idiot

Last edited:

ceagle

Bench
I thought Moltzen was definetly running the ball back towards the defensive line a lot harder at the later part of the season, as they say it takes a while to recover from a significant knee injury.

One other thing worth keeping in mind with Motzen....he's 20 years old and had a year off with a full knee reconstruction...why doesn't the guy deserve a chance to develop?. Not reffering to you Mr Shanghai (you seem to be a very fair person) but quiet a few of the RL technicians here seem to be able to assess a players nett future worth by the handfull of game they've seen...i think it's fair to suggest that Sheens and most of the other senior coaches know what they need to see (and hear) to know the potential of a player..i was at Benji's second game for the Tiges at the end of the '02? season...i was standing amongst a bunch of the Tiger faithful and they were giving it to Marshall with both barrels.."doesn't know where to stand"..doesn't know the first thing about anything".."who the f--k signed this idiot ?!" etc etc ...i would guess they would have all considered themselves fairly good judges of potential?...well who could have guessed that confused looking kid was worth perservering with?. Motzen might not reach the heights but he was pretty good before the knee buckled..he's a confidence player and !!!...he's still only 20. I'd suggest that any non NRL coach here who emphatically states that he'll amount to nothing may just very well be ....an idiot

:clap: I think at 20 ?? and hes knees hold up ok he going to be a very good player, I think half might be where he plays hes best footy..
I remember in 2010 he was killing it then was struck down with the knee problem..Anyway be interesting where he ends up next year hope its with us but we will see....

hybrid_tiger

Coach

Same excuse, always. He was a selfish ball runner who was scared of being tackled before his injury, too.

If he plays like he did in the finals for a full season, I will retract my comments. Until then, people seem to forget he was a liability for most of the year.

If the rumored 400K release fee is true, does anyone honestly think he is worth that kind of dollars? No way in the world.

Fordy20

Juniors
People seem to forget it wasn't that he played well in the halves with Benji, it's that he was removed from a position where he was a massive liability whilst a player with significantly more heart and ability was playing fullback.

andrew9148

Juniors
Thinking this through , st George really only have a claim for his services from 2013. As the tigers have a deal for 2012 he is a tiger still

Das Hassler

Bench
A friend just corrected re Motzen's age...apparantly he's 23 ..not 20 as i was led to believe...anyway what's 36 months between friends, his best is still ahead of him

Fordy20

Juniors
36 months is how long John Morris was in the halves at the Tigers.
36 months is how long Tim Moltzen has been first choice fullback at the Tigers.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
I'd say that's not true Fordy - He was out last year for most of the season and was playing in the halves before that.

The year before that he was something of a utility back, and this year he was playing at 1 a fair bit due to the Mckinnon injury/form debacle.

If Lui had continued the way he was and hadn't improved as the season went on, Moltzen would have ended up at 7 and Brown at fullback - either that or Ellis at 1 and Utai at 7.

But no - Moltzen was not the first choice fullback for 3 years - 3 months is closer to the truth.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
I never said he would amount to nothing, but IMO he is a glorified, running five-eighth.

We already have the best five eighth in the game so I think the move to let him go was the right one.

He is not worth this fuss.

Thinking this through , st George really only have a claim for his services from 2013. As the tigers have a deal for 2012 he is a tiger still
what I don't understand is the fact that this hit the press on Oct the 5th yet 3 months ago on Jul 8th, the Dragons announced the signing http://www.dragons.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=38949 .

Surely if he wanted out this would have been raised earlier (and prior to semi's)? Looking at the Tigers official statement, it is also confusing (to me)
Whilst it was announced earlier this year by St George-Illawarra Dragons that Tim had signed a new contract with them to commence in 2012, Wests Tigers has not granted him a release from his existing contract with the Club that expires at the end of next season.
http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=44312&title=statement-on-tim-moltzen

So again, why has it taken so long for all of this to come out?

If I was a Dragon, I wouldn't want him as surely it appears that he doesn't (now) want to be there.

Can only assume that Lui is well and truly on the out and will be heading to the Cowboys (gee he will improve heaps playing along side JT), Souths (where he won't learn a thing playing inside JS)

Interesting off season and it's not 7 days old yet.

_Johnsy

Referee

We certainly have a legal claim, make no bones about it, quote provided via the NRL forum. The only thing this is doing for your club is making its board look amatuerish.

The History of Motzen Saga

Tigers players have referred to the decision to allow the likes of Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Fifita (both Cronulla) and Tim Moltzen (St George Illawarra) to head elsewhere as a speedhump in their season that needed to be overcome.

“It is a tough circumstance when you’ve got some changes happening to your roster and every club goes through it.“We hadn’t been through it for a number of years so I guess when it eventually did happen for us it was going to be a bit of a shock.

Humphreys said the exiting players, who join assistant coach Peter Gentle (Hull) and high performance manager Steve Folkes (Dragons), had galvanised the squad.

“I think it is a motivating factor for a group that’s very tight like our group,” he said.
“I think it can be and has been overplayed but it is in the mix.”

Humphreys said there was no concern the club had made the wrong call on the departures and the recruitment of Adam Blair, Joel Reddy and Matt Bell.
''He's flying for us. He's a big loss for the club, a massive loss. I'm still devastated he's going, especially the way he's been playing. That's rugby league.''

Moltzen had never played in a finals match until last Friday night. It just so happened that it was against the team that bundled his team out, minus him, last year.

And also the same club Moltzen will join next year.

''During the week, it's something I think about a little bit,'' Moltzen said of leaving the club. ''Coming up to the game, I'm definitely focused on the game and what I've got to do.

''The thing that makes me think about it is just having to move, all the stuff around it. But I'm just really trying to focus on now. We've got a great chance here. I don't want to focus on anything else other than what we've got to do.''

Moltzen has since moved on from the drama and, now that his future is secure, is intent on finishing off his time at the Tigers on a high.
‘‘You’re not around forever,’’ the 22-year-old said yesterday, just days out from Friday night’s blockbuster between the two clubs at the Sydney Football Stadium.
‘‘You have to make the most of the opportunities you have and this is the way it’s turned out.
‘‘I’m happy with the decision but my focus is on the Tigers and I’m not really worried about next year until it comes around.’’

Moltzen is contracted with the Tigers until the end of 2013, but was given permission to speak to other clubs.
Souths and Cronulla had also shown interest in the 22-year-old utility back before he and Tauber negotiated a deal to play under Steve Price at the Dragons next year.
"I'm meeting with the Wests Tigers [today]," Tauber said.
"There was already a verbal agreement in place, but I've been away for the weekend and I'm quite disappointed in all the carry-on about it.
"There is no issue. He will be at the Dragons next year."
A Tigers official yesterday morning said there was no certainty over when and if the Moltzen clearance would be formalised. But Tauber was emphatic it would go ahead today.

Look Moltzen was signed as a good back up for Kyle Stanley so that we don't go through the problems we had during last State of Origin when we had to recall Reece Simmonds from the mines to play on the wings. He's an important supporting utility for us and he has a job to do in 2012 so we need him and he'll stay.

We are a bigger club than Wests. Try and get Gibbs back from Cronulla or wherever, or one of the reserve grade backrowers you sold to Penrith. They're more in your league.