What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More Whispers: Saint's Chase Rangi (Part II)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
IMO, it's looking less likely that Rangi will sign with us. Of course we'll have to wait and see, but there are other clubs chasing his signature in the UK and there are other utility backs on offer in Australia.

My issue with Chase is that he'll cost us when he has his next brain explosion on the field. When he tried to take off Tangi Ropati's head last year, he got a 3 week suspension. Have a look at it, imo he would have got 8 weeks in the NRL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCZHmfa4FbE

younan21

Juniors
Josh dugan and rangi chase will be signed within a week.

@RugbyLeagueNews: Looks like Dragons are going to land 2 massive mid season signings with Rangi Chase and Josh Dugan set to sign within a week. #NRL

Source : @rugbyleaguenews twitter account

saint.nick

Coach
heard the same thing about dugan on the sterlo show. this could have some real substance and credibility

CarssDragon

Juniors
The original plan.
Beale at fullback
Style at five eight
Soward at half.
.Dugan
Rangi
Sowie
Rein

How's that for an amazingly unlikely reversal of fortune?
And not next year.
This year.
Soon.
Now?

More appealing then what we started with - IF it happens. Think I recall we missed him last year due to some technicality, so promising if Castleford is in the shit financially and willing to offload him.

IMO a great addition to the team. Only downside - blokes like Drinkwater, Cook, even King would be struggling to get in the side.

Lethal25

Juniors
Let's wait and see, it aint true until it's true.

Beale won't be anywhere near 100% for 18 mths we're going to need an experienced player and I personally prefer to see Nightingale on the wing

MattYg1

Bench
I mean really, given our position, we need to go with something. If he plays like this more often than not, it will change the whole face of our attack...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJykJ1jD9x4

at 3:05 where he ever so slightly straightens his run to sell the short ball to the decoy runner, that right there is something we havent had in backline movements since 2010, for some reason Hornby stopped straightening the attack in 2011 and it was non existent in 2012...

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
More appealing then what we started with - IF it happens. Think I recall we missed him last year due to some technicality, so promising if Castleford is in the shit financially and willing to offload him.

IMO a great addition to the team. Only downside - blokes like Drinkwater, Cook, even King would be struggling to get in the side.

I dont see any downside in players having to beat out other players for their spot.

nrlnrl

First Grade
here's the full article from Castelfords website with quotes from Rangi Chase about his future :

http://www.castigers.com/article.php?id=3087

Chase: It Wasn't My Best Performance
Saturday 20th April 2013

Rangi Chase admitted that he wasn't pleased with his own performance in Friday's 28-12 Tetley's Challenge Cup defeat at Leeds Rhinos and spoke about the recent speculation surrounding his Castleford future.

Chase scored a try and assisted another for Jamie Ellis but was critical of himself after the match. He also said that the Castleford Tigers team need to ensure they perform well for the entirety of a match rather than spells of it. "It wasn't one of my best performances - I needed to be more composed. "I keep trying to make things up when I shouldn't and trying to get too much out of my sets. "My kicking wasn't good enough. It wasn't just my fault, but I played a big part in why we didn't win.

"I always try and put in the effort in a Cas shirt - we all should do that; it's our job, especially me. I did try hard tonight but I wasn't smart enough but that's a lesson that I've got to learn and in the future I have to be smarter. "In the first half we stayed with them and got rewards, but in the second half we didn't and that's the difference between good teams and average teams - if we want to be good then we have to do it for longer periods.
"It was a good effort but I think it's been the story of our year that we can do it, we just can't do it for long enough. "Our kicking game wasn't up to scratch and then we made a few back-to-back errors and it cost us in the end.

"Kevin Sinfield and Danny McGuire played on the front foot and made us suffer. Leeds have good players from 1 to 17 and it's harder when we're not on the front foot and it's easier for them to do what they have done. "They stepped up another level and credit to them, they deserved the win."

The defeat puts Castleford out of the Challenge Cup at the fourth round and while Chase is disappointed that they're knocked out, he believes that can take that into Super League and kick on. "These are the games you want to be playing in, but unfortunately if you slip up then that's it - you've got to wait for another year. "It's disappointing to go out, especially when we were in the game for so long. "The difference between the good teams and the not so good teams is that they play for 80 minutes - there was a time on Friday when we had them on the back foot and they could have given up but they didn't - that's why they're a champion side and they came back. "It's something that we need to do and fix up and take it into Super League, keep that effort there and maybe we will get some more wins."

Chase has been subject to questions over his future at Castleford Tigers, but he says that he's concentrating on his game and leaving it to everyone else to speculate, although he shared a joke about it too. "I wasn't meant to play this week was I - I thought last week was my last game?! "I'm taking every day as it comes. I could be going but I don't know - it's out of my hands. "While I'm here I've just got to focus on my job here because that's what my team mates expect from me. "I could be here for a week, a day, a year or two years. I'll let you guys (the media) keep speculating about when I'm off."

Last edited: