Most Annoying TV Commercials

Discussion in 'Go ahead!...ask us anything!' started by veggiepatch1959, Jun 4, 2018.

1. horrie hastings

horrie hastings Bench

The Cadbury chocolate ad where the little girl goes into the shop to buy a block of chocolate, this ad is creepy, the little girl pays with buttons and small unicorn figurine amongst other things, the guy behind the counter looks creepy then then girl goes out to her mother who is on a mobile phone and gives her the chocolate and says Happy Birthday mum, this ad is wrong on so many levels, mother was so distracted by her phone that the girl wondered off into the shop unnoticed, also mother gives the girl a hug after she gives her the chocolate, I would be wondering where the money came from to buy the chocolate in the first place. Probably reading way to much into this commercial but I actually find it quite disturbing.

2. veggiepatch1959

veggiepatch1959 First Grade

Horrie the one I found more disturbing is the Telstra ad where an allegedly pre pubescent girl says something on the lines of "talking to strangers".

Pedo invitation or what?

Deserves a complaint to the advertising watchdog.

3. mongoose

mongoose First Grade

The latest Skoda ad with the little girl dramatically singing "black velvet" in the backseat. So cringeworthy

4. pantherz9103

pantherz9103 First Grade

basically any ad with people eating food or drinking and smiling like idiots is stupid

axl rose likes this.
  5. veggiepatch1959

Looks like complaint worked. The prepubescent girl has been replaced with a more mature woman's voice.

Win win!

horrie hastings likes this.
  6. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

All the life insurance ads. With lines like "there's one little thing we can do to make sure that no matter what, our amazing way of life is protected". They almost sell it like car insurance where if you f**k it up beyond repair you'll get another one and you're an irresponsible parent for not getting it.

I think it really plays on peoples insecurities, worries and anxiety. Really hits on largely uncontrollable and usually illogical emotions and would drive those scary feelings into grabbing at the "safety net".

Similar with funeral insurance. "We're old duffers. We better not burden our kids. All the fellas at the bowls club are doing it!"

Pretty f**ken good marketing. Pretty f**ken predatory though, IMO.

axl rose and veggiepatch1959 like this.
  7. veggiepatch1959

Preying on the gullible is the forte of used car salesmen, real estate agents and insurance companies to name a few.

Reflector and axl rose like this.
  8. axl rose

axl rose Bench

Banks ads. "Its more than just about the money" Yeah right assholes. And cinema ads, there is this ad in Brisbane from Mazda with these 3 Italian rip off merchant pricks that has been running for 5 bloody years.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    AJB1102 and Whino like this.
  9. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

Or the credit card ads that are like "you want shit now, why wait until you can afford it? You totally deserve a car worth 1/2 your annual wage and an overseas holiday!"

Same with pay-day lenders. "Already drowning in debt but really want a new laptop? CAAAAAAAAAAAASH TRAAAAAAAAAAAIN! Ding, ding, ding!"

10. Sans Souci Sainter

Sans Souci Sainter Coach

The two old codgers where the old lady apparently pulls out an old IOU and says “pay up”.

Beat it Nanna. And lay off the cooking sherry.

11. horrie hastings

horrie hastings Bench

Any ads for Maccas is annoying.

axl rose likes this.
  12. Zadar

Zadar Juniors

Agree.

When I first saw this ad, I thought it was for the smith family where a poor girl gives away her little possessions to buy her poor mother a chocolate bar, then I see she seems to be wearing a private school uniform.

13. counterpuncher

counterpuncher Juniors

Doesn't really qualify as "annoying" but after hearing a few people talk about the new Libra ad, I saw it for the first time yesterday. Crikey.

I get that periods are a normal and natural occurrence for women, but the images of blood running down a leg in the shower and a young teen dropping her undies and fishing out a used pad just didn't seem right while watching the arvo news.

axl rose likes this.
  14. TheFrog

TheFrog Coach

They manage to advertise toilet rolls without showing someone wiping their bum.

axl rose and Diesel like this.
  15. Incorrect

Incorrect First Grade

Haven't seen it... And if it's as distasteful as it sounds I probably won't ever get to see it as it has probably already generated enough complaints to have it pulled...

16. horrie hastings

horrie hastings Bench

Choice Hotels where the little girl comes out with a doll and says Where Do Babies Come From ? and the father just looks so stupid trying to answer it.

axl rose and veggiepatch1959 like this.
  17. veggiepatch1959

I had that shit happen to a 13 year old indigenous girl I was friends with.

Hot crowded North Cronulla beach and the poor sweetie copped her first period wearing a white bikini. I tried to save her from further embarrassment with my towel but the damage was done.

18. Sans Souci Sainter

Sans Souci Sainter Coach

What a time to be alive... :smirk:

So progressive.

19. roofromoz

roofromoz Bench

My theory is that they are not old enough considering decimal currency came in 1966.

Reflector likes this.
  20. nöyd

nöyd Moderator Staff Member

Was more annoying 20-plus years ago, but someone mentioned this ad at work the other day.

Remember this little merkin?