What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most boring/mundane NRL player sightings

Scorpio30

Bench
I once saw Ben Barba at Westfield Chermside. I was sitting at a foodcourt table and he walked past with what I guess was his wife and daughter. He was carrying a massive bright yellow Tonka toy and it wasnt in a shopping bag but it was still boxed. Not a dump truck or bulldozer, I think it was a digger.

EDIT: Also saw Tallis at Westfield Chermside he was at the information desk with his family...We locked eyes and had the strangest look...sort of that unhinged look he has...He either was scared as hell of me or wanted to smack my head in...Both shouldn't have really been the case.

Last edited:

Scorpio30

Bench
Back in maybe 07, before the QRL grand final at Suncorp, a mate and I were having a lemonade at the Caxton when we saw Corey Parker. My mate asked him "Corey, Ive always wondered what that tattoo says on the inside of your forearm"..."Oh, its says 'Parker'...see 'P', 'a"..."..."Whoah whoah whoah...stop right there, I know how to spell Parker you farkwit"....One speechless C Parker.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Jimmy Lisle and Rick Bourke were both teachers at my high school.

Shook hands with Kevin Ryan in Hurstville shopping centre when he was running for parliament. My hand subsequently disappeared into his.

Saw Tawera Nikau with a hottie at Albion Park Maccas when he had two legs.

Had Les Boyd walk towards me on Broadway the day he was cited after gouging Billy Johnstone. For a shortarse, the guy was huge but the look on his face would have killed any living being.

Watched a mate belt the living shit out of Steve Folkes at a south western Sydney pub.

Steve Bowden was the owner/publican of Stallions pub in Hurstville that I drank at regularly. One huge unit.

Met most of the Storm squad at a private charity event in Melbourne last year. The atmosphere was full of smugness.

Probably others that I can't remember right now.

butchmcdick

Immortal
saw Alan Langer at the races in Lismore

had a beer with Bob O'Reilly at Lismore Workers and got him to autograph my pack of Ciggies

I walked into the workers randomly a few sat nights ago

There was a sign at the entrance announcing Eric Grothe's band was playing that night

I asked the doorman which Grothe, he told me it was Eric Grothe senior

Went for in a look and it was a indeed the guru singing comfortably numb

All the lights were on, there was about a dozen old fellas there not paying any attention to the guru and one old boiler watching whilst doing knitting

One of the most random nights I've had

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
I knew I missed one - a very pleasurable one.

An already pissed Craig Coleman mouthing off at some random dude at the Bat and Ball Hotel before a day nighter at the SCG.

The dude had enough of Coleman and landed one right on his chin and knocked Coleman out cold.

The pub erupted into thunderous cheering.

Incorrect

Coach
Cameron King was getting a haircut before me at the place I go to in Parra. Then I saw him getting some lunch at the IGA deli near the old saleyards where they train a day later.
Saw Kenny Edwards ordering lunch from that same IGA a week or so later.
I saw Semi eating lunch at some Japanese place in parra.

simmo05

Bench
I once saw Ben Barba at Westfield Chermside. I was sitting at a foodcourt table and he walked past with what I guess was his wife and daughter. He was carrying a massive bright yellow Tonka toy and it wasnt in a shopping bag but it was still boxed. Not a dump truck or bulldozer, I think it was a digger.

EDIT: Also saw Tallis at Westfield Chermside he was at the information desk with his family...We locked eyes and had the strangest look...sort of that unhinged look he has...He either was scared as hell of me or wanted to smack my head in...Both shouldn't have really been the case.
Tallis shouted our platoon a round at the metropole in Townsville. I think he owned it at the time.

simmo05

Bench
Had a beer with Tommy Radonikis (?) at the lutwich tavern.
And ken mcguinness at brothers leagues club after the cows v tigs game this year

billygilmore

Juniors
Got served a beer and had my table wiped by Chris Close at that pub he owned up in Rockhampton, lionleigh tavern I think it was called

Johns Magic

Referee
Great thread.

I sat on the next table to Ivan Cleary at Spice Temple having lunch a few months back. Not long before he got the Tigers gig.

Was in the same lift at the Marriott on the Gold Coast about 20 years ago now with Glen Lazarus. I would've been about 7 years old so wasn't sure exactly who he was but knew he was famous.

Bryan Fletcher must have worked as a removalist for a while because I saw him doing a job at a place on my block a year or two after he retired.

thorson1987

Coach
Was trained by Greg Florimo and Gary Larson for North Sydney SG Ball. As an old Bears fan as a kid it was so good. Just to be able to sit down and have a chat with them aswell.

I forgot about seeing lote tuqiri with his missus at that Chinese place opposite mamak (I think) in the city. Geebus he is a big unit, id say he ordered everything on the menu twice

El Diablo

Post Whore
Was trained by Greg Florimo and Gary Larson for North Sydney SG Ball. As an old Bears fan as a kid it was so good. Just to be able to sit down and have a chat with them aswell.
that made me remember back in 83 the under 10's team i played in won the premiership and we had the trophy presented to us by Don McKinnon

Wests is Best

Juniors
About 5 years ago, I was getting a rego check at a St Ives servo for my motorbike. He said he would get to it in 30 mins so I went for a coffee and was watching the cricket on tv while I sipped my cap in this quaint little upper north shore coffee shop. Then in walks Joey Johns. It was just bizaare. He walked right past me and sat at a table. I didnt say a word to him, just looked. Nobody in the shop hassled him at all - probably why he goes there.

About 5 years ago, I was getting a rego check at a St Ives servo for my motorbike. He said he would get to it in 30 mins so I went for a coffee and was watching the cricket on tv while I sipped my cap in this quaint little upper north shore coffee shop. Then in walks Joey Johns. It was just bizaare. He walked right past me and sat at a table. I didnt say a word to him, just looked. Nobody in the shop hassled him at all - probably why he goes there.

I saw joey at hartigans in the hunter when I was a kid. Didn't mind a pint and a punt, jaysus....

Willie Ray

Bench
Saw Joey at Fannies nightclub back in the nineties playing the pokies while seven hot chicks sat around him in a semi circle just watching.......life in the fishbowl I guess.