What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overated players

Balmain_Boy said:
Oh my God. You roosters fans (Not all of you) have serious problems. Get over it. The better team on the day and throughout the year won. GET OVER IT!

It will always be the grand final that Easts lost. If the game was replayed a week later the result would've been the other way around. 2OO4 will put things right! ;-)

Big Panther Cool said:
Renowned League Expert said:
To the issue of "sour grapes", well, I'm not the one who mentioned the grand final in the first place. The thread was about over-rated players. I said Joel Clinton. Several Penrith fans then started talking about the grand final. Get over it. You won. You were very lucky. Everybody accepts that. No serious commentator truly believes Penrith were the best side in 2003; just as no one seriously believes Easts were the best team in 2002 and, for that matter, no one believes Newcastle were the best team in 2001.

VERY LUCKY???!!!!???!!!??

Yes, very lucky that we played like shit in the grand final ... lucky that you didn't have any major injuries bar Ryan Girdler ... lucky that you didn't have any representative committments ... lucky that you played the top teams during the Origin period ...

I'd say Penrith were VERY lucky in 2003.

Kaz

junior
Rooster Cogburn. said:
Balmain_Boy said:
Oh my God. You roosters fans (Not all of you) have serious problems. Get over it. The better team on the day and throughout the year won. GET OVER IT!

It will always be the grand final that Easts lost. If the game was replayed a week later the result would've been the other way around. 2OO4 will put things right! ;-)

The result would have been the same.

The Roosters thought all they had to do it turn up & they would win.

Goleel

Juniors
Penrith were very lucky with injuries, but that's all any decent side needs to win a premiership, to be able to get the same lineup out on the park for most of the year. Look at Parra and the Dragons this year, they played over 30 players for the season, and didn't have more than a few players play more than 20 games.

Todd Payten a starting Roosters prop? You've got to be kidding. Is that why he played as many games off the bench as he did in the starting lineup? I'd be glad not to have that big nothing in the side. Now I don't think Penrith were the best side all year, the Roosters were, but I'm an Eels fan, so I'd know all about being the best side in a year and not winning the premiership.

On over-rated players, the usual suspects:

Willie Mason (soft, average defense, shirks hard work when the going gets tough, attitude issues)

Ryan O'Hara (does the hard yards, but not for very long. Doesn't have the workload a top line prop should have, Davico is miles better)

Nathan Blacklock (we all know about this. At least this year most media have realised the bloke lets in as many as he scores)

Chris Walker (Another gimmie, can't tackle, has hopeless positioning and would you rely on somebody who walked out of a club because he hated losing rather than try and help them win some games to win you a tight contest? Grand final proved his uselessness)

Daniel Wagon (not so much rated any more, but the guy has forgotten how to tackle, doesn't know how to pass (and still plays five eighth), and has very little vision anymore. Only saving grace is his support play)

Michael Vella (soft as soft can be, although this year is a contract year so he might actually get out of first gear with his big money on the line)

Brent Sherwin (lets see him go well without nigel vagana to run onto his kicks. only dominates a game when the bulldogs are totally in control, and have got the game won already)

David Peachey (has no speed, runs sideways constantly and isn't an attacking threat anymore.)

hrundi99

First Grade
Goleel said:
On over-rated players, the usual suspects:

Ryan O'Hara (does the hard yards, but not for very long. Doesn't have the workload a top line prop should have, Davico is miles better)

If you look at metres gained per minute you will see a different picture emerge.

Matt Elliott has limited his game time at various points during the season due to Rhino's problems with asthma.

Davico is a champion but given their ages I wouldn't say he was "miles better".

Red Bear

Referee
I was supporting the Roosters as i do in every NRL match but Penrrith were the much better side on the night. IMO the Roosters peeked a week early against the Bulldogs and unfortunately Minichello had his worst match all year. Penrith came out firing and thats what one them the match.

Yes, very lucky that we played like sh*t in the grand final ... lucky that you didn't have any major injuries bar Ryan Girdler ... lucky that you didn't have any representative committments ... lucky that you played the top teams during the Origin period ...

For someone calling himself a self-professed "Renowned League Expert", you sure have to study a bit more. Talk about OVER-RATED!!!

Ryan Girdler the only major injury??? What about Martin Lang being out for the first 11 rounds of the season??? What about Ben Ross being out for the middle part of the season. I would consider these major injuries. After all, they are regular first graders. Apart from that, yes the team did well to remain intact for the majority of the season. That's not luck - thats great conditioning!!

Representative committments??? Well I'm sorry but the Panther players can't help the fact that they were continuously being overlooked for selection. Go and speak to Messers Gould & Bennett about that one. People were calling on Wesser to be included, DESPITE BEING THE LEADING TRY SCORER, but alas it fell on Bennett's deaf ears - was that Wesser's fault?? Gower & Clinton made the City Origin team and were very consistent all year, but did Gould care?? NO!! So don't use the "representative committments" line as an excuse.

Playing the top teams during State of Origin period??? Let's go back in time shall we??

State of Origin Week 1 - Date: June 11th 2003
Game before SOO - Penrith played Cowboys away. (Won)
Game after SOO - Penrith played Storm at home. (Lost)

State of Origin Week 2 - Date: June 25th 2003
Game before SOO - Penrith played Knights at home (Won)
Game after SOO - Penrith played Bulldogs at home (Won)

State of Origin Week 3 - Date: July 16th 2003
Game before SOO - Penrith played Rabbitohs at home (Won)
Game after SOO - Penrith played Knights away (Won)

You can plainly see from these stats that we have played the Cowboys, Knights & the Rabbitohs before SOO. Only the Knights were a top 8 side. We played 3 Top 8 teams out of 5 teams played overall during that period. Out of the teams played before SOO, the knights were the only team understrength due to SOO committments. All teams were at full-strength after SOO. So much for your line about playing the "Top Teams". The Roosters had a bye before the third SOO!! Again, another attempt to clutch at straws "League Expert" :roll: And furthermore, why were you guys worried about SOO? After all, Fittler was there for the whole time wasn't he? He didn't have any SOO committments!!

At least you're right on one thing. The roosters did play sh*t in the Grand Final of 2003.

Oh, and you still haven't answered my question from my last post "League Expert"..........WHAT did the ROOSTERS achieve in the NRL premiership season of 2003??

Big Panther Cool said:
Yes, very lucky that we played like sh*t in the grand final ... lucky that you didn't have any major injuries bar Ryan Girdler ... lucky that you didn't have any representative committments ... lucky that you played the top teams during the Origin period ...

Ryan Girdler the only major injury??? What about Martin Lang being out for the first 11 rounds of the season??? What about Ben Ross being out for the middle part of the season. I would consider these major injuries. After all, they are regular first graders.

I think something like 14 of their regular 17 played 22 or more games for the season. No other club got near that.

legend

Coach
Who mentioned Joel Monaghan? The guy is in his second season and was one of the NRL's leading try scorers this year. Give yourself a triple.

Also, Brett Kimmorley? The guy along with Lockyer was the best player on tour and always performs at rep level. He has won a premiership, Kangaroo tour and Origin series so I hardly think he is overrated. :roll:

Imagine if you had a side that inlcuded:

Trent Barrett
Braith Anasta
Jason Stevens
Willie Mason
Matt Gidley
Michael Vella
Chris Walker
Daniel Wagon
Brett Finch
Josh Perry
Timana Tahu

They'd all be screaming for the ball, no one would make a tackle, they'd get flogged every week but start firm favourites with the TAB at around $1.20. :lol:

I think something like 14 of their regular 17 played 22 or more games for the season. No other club got near that.

Yeah?!?! :? :? So What?!?!?

Are you trying to put a team like the Panthers down because they were able to handle their injuries well this year?? So what if they have been relatively fit and healthy for the majority of the season. That's a testament to their training and conditioning don't you think??

There would have been seasons in the past where Penrith may have done well, might even have challenged for semi-final spots if it wasn't for injuries (and personal tragedies). 1992 & 1999 seasons come to mind.

You haven't rebuffed on the other valid points I've made. Obviously you've got nothing to say. And you still haven't answered my last question...............

Time's up so-called "Renowned League Expert". You've run out of excuses. The season is over. Your team got "OUT-ROOSTERED" by the Panthers in the game THAT COUNTS!!

PENRITH PANTHERS - 18
sydney roosters - 6

PENRITH PANTHERS VICTORY!! SIMPLY PUT! ENOUGH SAID!!!

The_Savage_1

Juniors
I am not a Roosters or a Panthers fan and I actually like Penrith more, but the Roosters were easily the best team in 2003 for mine. Penrith were incredibly lucky all year! Although this probably makes up for the bad luck they received in the past (following the team after the bye springs to mind), this doesnt change the fact that they had such good luck this year, and is the only reason they were in a position to win the title.

Big Panther Cool said:

Yeah?!?! :? :? So What?!?!?

Are you trying to put a team like the Panthers down because they were able to handle their injuries well this year?? So what if they have !!!

Not at all. They were due for all the luck in the world with injuries, given the horrendous run they've had since 1992. But they did have an exceptionally good run this year; that is indisputable. Did it help them win the grand final? You bet it did. No different to any other year - the premiers nearly always have their best side, or close to it, on the field during the semi finals and grand final.

But that's neither here nor there; this thread is about over rated players. I think Joel Clinton fits the bill.

Maybe he can prove me wrong in 2004.

Briza

Juniors
Phil Bailey, without a doubt!!.
Obviously learnt how to a few tricks from Kimmorely. :lol:

Magpie Nick

Juniors
paulquinn49 said:
Tahu
M Gidley
Marshall (Tigers fans have pretty much put him in the hall of fame)
Peachey
Fletcher

Marshall is being tipped the next Fittler because he has talent by every professional on the Footy Show, NRL on FOX and those shows. He has been playing league for a year and made his debut and being tipped the next Fittler and you put him in there. What are you on. I'm going to keep your post and when marshal becomes big lets see him in the overrated list.

1. Mason
2. Bailey
3. Kimorley
4. Tallis
5. Gidley
6. Walker
7. Berrigan
8. Tate
9. Minichello
10. Patten
11. Hegarty
12. Ricketson

Pingu you are a dickhead aswell. Galea was being tipped to play for Australia by Fatty and the crew aswell. His run of injurys has recked that chance in the last few years but he will come on to play for Australia porbably in the second row not as a lock. Marshall is the same, he is being tipped to play international (who wouldn't want him) the NSW, QLD and NZ selectors think he is greatm they are all fighting for his signature, they obviously think he is good and has potential.

Goleel

Juniors
There is a great element of luck in not getting injured, sure, guys who aren't in top shape will get injured, but are Craig Fitzgibbon, Justin Hodges, Nathan Hindmarsh, Brent Tate, Trent Barrett and Jason Ryles to name a few guys who aren't in top shape? No, they were unlucky. They copped a bad tackle or bad hit and got injured because of it. Penrith were very lucky to be able to field essentially the same side all year. What's more, the injured players weren't missed because they had cover for them, Ross went off as Lang came back, filling the gap, while guys like Rodney and Swain filled their places. Girdler wasn't missed in attack at all cause Howland could play wing, and Campbell could kick. That is lucky. The Roosters never found someone to fill Hodges place, and with him, and more importantly, without Walker, the grand final could have been a different story.

I wouldn't be bragging as a Penrith fan that their players are better because they got injured less this year, because it has nothing to do with anything a player does, most injuries are just bad luck.

I'll answer the 'what have the Roosters achieved' question. Well, they achieved more rep selections for NSW and Australia than any other club, they finished 2nd on the table, played in some of the best games of the season and were the most consistently dominant side all year. Of course, they don't have any trophies or awards to show for it, but that doesn't hide that they've achieved a lot in 2003. There's more to the game than winning the premiership, rugby league is played over 30 weeks, not one.

Goleel said:
I'll answer the 'what have the Roosters achieved' question. Well, they achieved more rep selections for NSW and Australia than any other club, they finished 2nd on the table, played in some of the best games of the season and were the most consistently dominant side all year. Of course, they don't have any trophies or awards to show for it, but that doesn't hide that they've achieved a lot in 2003. There's more to the game than winning the premiership, rugby league is played over 30 weeks, not one.

Yes you're right about your last line. But didn't the Panthers prove their consistency as well?? They won the most games this year. They broke their own record of straight wins. And, they finished 1st! Winning BOTH the MINOR & MAJOR premiership proves that the Panthers were the most consistent side all year.

As for NSW,QLD & Australian representation, well that's not the Panthers fault. Blame that one on Bennett, Gould & Anderson. They were never picking their respective sides on form. That was blatantly obvious when Rhys Wesser was continuously being ignored by Bennett & the QLD selectors.

My problem with 'certain rooster supporters' is that they can go and name people like Craig Gower & Joel Clinton as over-rated, when they had proven themselves this year, and that their performances have contributed to the consistency of Penrith's game this year. How in the blue hell can Craig Gower be considered over-rated, when he took out the Footy Show player of the year & halfback of the year awards, and would have gotten to Dally M player of the year as well - all this despite getting weekly painkilling injections into his sternum for the majority of games this year. Joel Clinton made the City Origin side in only his 2nd year in the top grade, and was Penrith's most consistent forward all season. And he was called over-rated as well.

I made other valid points to retort those posted by "League Expert" and he keeps harping on Joel Clinton being over-rated, rather than having any answers or rebuffles to my other points. Why the obsession with Clinton??

Joel Clinton has already proven you wrong "League Expert" and I'm sure he'll do it again in 2004.

Big Panther Cool said:
Goleel said:

I made other valid points to retort those posted by "League Expert" and he keeps harping on Joel Clinton being over-rated, rather than having any answers or rebuffles to my other points. Why the obsession with Clinton??

Oh, grow up. Other clubs have had their players named in this thread as being over-rated, but I don't hear them crying ad nauseum about it. It's just an opinion, you dill.

I think Joel Clinton is over rated. So what?

I certainly don't think Gower is over rated, in fact, I think he's been under rated.

The other "valid points" you made were ignored by me because they had nothing to do with this thread.

Latest posts