What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving forward

Das Hassler

Bench
A couple more...why did Steve Folkes let Thurston go ?....was he an idiot?...most think no..why didn't Penrith keep Fittler?...why this why that...there's an endless supply

Tiger05

First Grade
So he was the team?.....he was the entire 30 man squad?
If not for one Hyno closing minutes brainfade while technically in possession and a barge over last minute warriors try we would have been in 3 grand finals and perhaps won all three. Farah and Marshall had zero...nothing...zilch to do with those mistakes but a lot to do with us getting so close ...if we had won 3 would you be complaining they were underpaid as they were solelyresponsible for our ( at our fingertips) fantastic success?
05......i can easily find it if you want but last few rounds of last season Thompson ..who you very fairly endorse right now had one 1 ( one ) bad i.e. errored game after a first season of absolute personal success..straight after that game you wrote...."Thompson is a worry and we will need to figure what to do with him"...i remember it well because i had to re read it a few times to believe it....you have your face too close to the graph....you blow so much with the wind on week to week results. Also stop back engineering history...the coaches and club are limited ( as against supporters) to paying on their best educated assessment ( aka guess) of how a player may go in the future....how many were clamering to sign Ash Taylor at big money?....why didnt 14 other clubs sign cheap as chips Matterson as dud Cleary did ?? it goes on and on....why didn't i OR ANYONE ELSE buy an immaculate GTHO PH 3 with 6k on the clock in '73 after the salesman called me at 9pm with a LOWERED price of $6,200.....he had to move it but no takers!....now worth over 1 mill....hindsight is a wonderful thing but ultimately totally pointless as an argument on judgement calls.

A couple of points:-

1. I really don't blow up much.
2. If you are think the club has done fine then there is nothing to complain about. If you think we've struggled a bit then you have to aim your bullets at our top paid players.

It's a game. It's important to me but not that important. I think a bunch of you are getting really riled up for no reason.

Das Hassler

Bench
A couple of points:-

1. I really don't blow up much.
2. If you are think the club has done fine then there is nothing to complain about. If you think we've struggled a bit then you have to aim your bullets at our top paid players.

It's a game. It's important to me but not that important. I think a bunch of you are getting really riled up for no reason.

No getting riled up here.....i save that for well beyond football. You keep mixing "team" with individual worth...the club hasnt done well but its also been a very turbulent birth and teenage years...Manly / Norths had to kill one off...Saints / Steelers in effect did as well ..also with one premiership to show...individual players and their contracts aren't responsible for that..
..it took the Sharks 50 years to attain the on field character they have now...they were losing culture supreme

Front-Rower

First Grade
Farah and Marshall had zero...nothing...zilch to do with those mistakes

Well......Vs Warriors in 2011 Farah gives away a penalty in the ruck at the 65th minute which lead to a Warriors try which got them within 2 and then Marshall runs on the last and they get caught around halfway in the 75th minute leading to Inu try from the bomb.....

Das Hassler

Bench
But still makes my point....if the individual mistakes that they werent involved in hadn't of happened they could well be unrealistically and unfairly (to the rest of the team) been solely credited for what could easily have been WT golden period. ..close results skew perception....golden point win everyone dancing in the streets celebrating the gritty win...one point loss and sack half the team.
Oh...and would we have ever gotten to those one or two points from the GF games without them?....memory says absolutely not

Tiger Ted

Bench
The blame re overpayment of players & abominable R & R should b attributed to the front office.The Mayer’s & Humphreys & Ronald McDonnell plus other imbeciles encompassed with spending the cap & assembling our squads have been culpable & totally derelict of there duty.

Good luck to the players for earning as much as they have in a finite occupation regardless of whether they deserved it.

Das Hassler

Bench
O'l 05....for what it's worth i do like your passion for the club....you're a loyal supporter and probably representative of the bulk of the tribe.
WT is a mostly painful passion so we've all earned our various viewpoints.
And speaking of pain...it's onto Souths
:v:

stryker

First Grade
Basically every player is underpaid when they start. Honestly the counter arguments against my opinion look pretty weak.

It's cool to disagree and maybe it's time to drop it.
Lol what argument? You havent presented one

stryker

First Grade
Geez you guys are easily triggered. I'm more than willing to drop the topic. I understand what a backended contract is. It means we couldn't pay the guy his expected wage within the salary cap and so we backended it. We overpaid the guy for what he delivered. The proof is in the team's poor performance over a number of years.
Your argument is getting weaker..you almost sound as moronic as Vic.
Btw if you want to point at a player who is overpaid, has been for years whilst delivering nothing for the club...have a geezer at Vics avatar. You would never have a go at him would you though? Weve had plenty like him here.

Tiger05

First Grade
Your argument is getting weaker..you almost sound as moronic as Vic.
Btw if you want to point at a player who is overpaid, has been for years whilst delivering nothing for the club...have a geezer at Vics avatar. You would never have a go at him would you though? Weve had plenty like him here.

I suspect he was on less than Benji and Robbie. He has been great for us. Sure he had some down seasons but he has been great. I also like Benji and Robbie though. They've played great for us as well.

stryker

First Grade
At the end of the day results matter and your top value players are the ones who have to deliver.
They have delivered more than anyone else has for this club. What is your point again? Oh yeah overpaid, except you cant tell us by how much because you are talking straight shite.

stryker

First Grade
I suspect he was on less than Benji and Robbie. He has been great for us. Sure he had some down seasons but he has been great. I also like Benji and Robbie though. They've played great for us as well.
You suspect...not big on facts lately are you? Lets not forget this all started due to your claim that the whole of Wests Tigers unsuccessful tenure is the fault of these two guys hogging salary cap money.

Tiger05

First Grade
You suspect...not big on facts lately are you? Lets not forget this all started due to your claim that the whole of Wests Tigers unsuccessful tenure is the fault of these two guys hogging salary cap money.

You are overdoing it. I didn't state that at all. I stated that when you have an unsuccessful period you have to look at your cap and your top paid players. That would be Benji and Robbie.

Tiger Ted

Bench
You are overdoing it. I didn't state that at all. I stated that when you have an unsuccessful period you have to look at your cap and your top paid players. That would be Benji and Robbie.
Primarily our front office has been shambolic.Theres no more relevant phrase attributable to WT than the fish rots from the head.For so long we’ve had people running the Concord Circus who r glaringly rugby league illiterate !

Madge is a godsend coz he’s the smartest rugby league person we’ve had since the inception of the merger.By the time his tenure @ concord is finished we will b indebted to the imbecile Dave O’neil.

Perth Tiger

Bench
Robbie is a different player on fair dollars. We were so unsuccessful because we overpaid Robbie and couldn't attract other players.

This is what you said in this thread.

And since then people have called you out by saying there was pretty enough to pay others well but our recruitment and coaching blew it.

How is any of that on Farah and Benji's shoulders.

super_coach

First Grade
The blame re overpayment of players & abominable R & R should b attributed to the front office.The Mayer’s & Humphreys & Ronald McDonnell plus other imbeciles encompassed with spending the cap & assembling our squads have been culpable & totally derelict of there duty.

Good luck to the players for earning as much as they have in a finite occupation regardless of whether they deserved it.

So true...Junior burger (Shannon McDonell) was on crazy money, don’t know the exact money but it was not far under marquee money at the time and he was basically a reserve grader who could fill a gap in the top grade every now and than. I guess having the old man at the club probably doubled his value.

Shredder

Juniors
What I cant get (and I usually try to stay out of these discussions) is that EVEN if we over paid RF by $300k, even if. Thats one player of moderate sub Origin level.

Even if we paid RF and BM BOTH $300k over their values thats a half of an Ashley Taylor.

Who gives a f**k? What difference would it have made?

05. We had a contract with Robbie and he was asked by the club to back load his payments. Is that his fault or the clubs?

Regardless, Robbie is loyal and played at the highest levels and can never ever be accused of tanking while in any jersey, let alone ours.

Tiger05

First Grade
This is what you said in this thread.

And since then people have called you out by saying there was pretty enough to pay others well but our recruitment and coaching blew it.

How is any of that on Farah and Benji's shoulders.

Let's just be clear. There are two lines of thought here. Mine which says that Robbie and Benji were overpaid because we had salary cap problems and we had an unsuccessful period. The counter argument is that they weren't overpaid and it is recruitment and coaching that was the problem.

I think you mean plenty enough to pay others but you don't have any facts to back this up but my opinion is backed up because of the results that we've had.

I think logically it is therefore more likely that my opinion is correct.

Sure there were other factors involved. Some of those factors may have been significant. At the end of the day though you don't have any facts at all to back up your opinion and it seems that you are letting off the two highest paid players in the club completely when it comes to the clubs poor performance.

I am basically over this debate though. You are entitled to your belief and I'm entitled to mine. If you have some facts or logic that actually works please provide that but so far any counter argument has been pretty poor.

Tiger05

First Grade
05. We had a contract with Robbie and he was asked by the club to back load his payments. Is that his fault or the clubs?

It's a complex issue. Did Robbie and his manager probably hold the club to ransom. Did the club have to backpay Robbie because his asking price was too high ? Did that stuff up our recruitment and retention ?

Regardless, Robbie is loyal and played at the highest levels and can never ever be accused of tanking while in any jersey, let alone ours.

I agree. Robbie has been great for us.

Blair is another example of someone who was overpaid and stuffed us. Once you pay someone top dollars they have to be held accountable for the team's performance.