What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mullen and Abraham named as Knights halves

perverse

Referee
rleague.com said:
MULLEN AND ABRAHAM NAMED AS KNIGHTS HALVES
Tuesday 20 Mar 2007 13:50
by Matthew O'Neill

Newcastle captain Andrew Johns hasn't been named for Friday's clash against the Dragons after being injured in the Knights controversial 25-24 victory on Sunday afternoon against the Bulldogs.

Johns was stretchered off the field in the 4th minute resulting in Sonny Bill Williams being sent off. Johns said last night that he was keen to play this weekend, but Knights coach Brian Smith has opted against naming him at this present moment. It doesn't mean that Johns won't play and Smith will be keeping a close eye on his progress between now and Friday night.

Jarrod Mullen has been moved to halfback with Daniel Abraham the new five-eighth. Steve Simpson will takeover the captaincy in the absence of Johns.

KNIGHTS v DRAGONS
OKI Jubilee Stadium
Round 2
Friday 23 March, 2007

FIRST GRADE
Coach: Brian Smith

1. Kurt Gidley
2. James McManus
3. George Carmont
4. Brad Tighe
5. Adam MacDougall
6. Daniel Abraham
7. Jarrod Mullen
8. Josh Perry
9. Terence Seu Seu
10. Adam Woolnough
11. Steve Simpson (c)
12. Clint Newton
13. Kirk Reynoldson

Subs:
14. Todd Polglase
15. Cory Paterson
16. Matthew White
17. Daniel Tolar

Standby:
18. Jesse Royal
19. Riley Brown
20. Akuila Uate
21. Kade Snowden
http://www.rleague.com/db/article.php?id=27595
don't know where this intel came from. pato on the bench. very nice.

Johns Magic

Referee
Wow

I must say I don't mind it.

Unlike Lowrie, at least Abraham is a backrower with some ball skills.

Kidley will be there alot anyway.

fred_knight

Juniors
Uate has been getting raps on here of late, i must admit i dont know anything about him at all..Is he a good player? where did he come from and where did people see him play..reserve grade?

Pardon my ignorance, just want to know about up and comers?

Frederick

Staff member
Abraham is a very smart player, and after seeing him play much of the second half at 5/8 on Sunday, there's no doubt in my mind that Smith has made the right selection choice here. This way, when Seu Seu comes off, Polglase can go to Fullback, and Kids can go back to that 'Rover' role that Smith designed for him.

Stranger

Coach
When reyno or Newton comes off, Todd Polglase to full back, Kiddley to 5/8 Abes to lock/2nd row.

All part of the Strategy.

The Devil

Bench
fred_knight said:
Uate has been getting raps on here of late, i must admit i dont know anything about him at all..Is he a good player? where did he come from and where did people see him play..reserve grade?

Pardon my ignorance, just want to know about up and comers?

Uate was part of our Minor Premiership winning Flegg team, as was Seu Seu. He is a sprinter turned rugby player and has a lot of natural talent but is still quite raw.

keeney

First Grade
I never really minded who played 5/8 as long as either Joey or Mullo was there. We really need one of them around.

BG

Juniors
Ouch... a lot of players on "stand-by". When it's just one or two it can be a token gesture for players on the verge of selection. But for Smithy to name an 8 man bench... there must be a number of injury concerns. Do we know of anyone in doubt other than Mullen?

BG

Juniors
Interesting to see Uate make the extended squad ahead of Thaiday. Either Smithy feels that Thaiday is still a long way off his form/fitness, or else he isn't going to consider him as a winger.

BG

Juniors
Stranger said:
When reyno or Newton comes off, Todd Polglase to full back, Kiddley to 5/8 Abes to lock/2nd row.

All part of the Strategy.

If Brown doesn't make the final squad I'm not too sure we'll see that scenario. I think Kidley was so effective out of dummy-half against the Dogs that Smithy is keen to continue his "rover" role -- officially at fullback to begin with and then to hooker when Seu Seu is getting a breather. I think the plan might be for Abes to handle 5-8 throughout the game. This would give us a stable backline from halves to the wings -- with Polglase coming on at fullback. Kids to 5-8 can still be a "plan-B" strategy during the game if things aren't working with Abes there.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Looking forward to seeing Patterson make his FG debut. If he does as well as McManus or Seu Seu on debut, I'll be a happy man.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Can't wait to see Abes play a full game in the no. 6 jumper. And Gids' rover role seemed to work last week so I'm hoping we'll see that again.

CJKnight

Juniors
Well there's plenty of size in the run-on side. Personally I don't mind that fact, particularly against the Dragons. They made some crunching tackles on the Titans last week.

Smith must have a plan to use Kidley at hooker when Seu Seu is off the field. Unless Brown will get a late call-up from standby.

I am really glad that Patto is getting the nod. read his PL stats from last season again today, scored 8 tries in 8 games. Here's hoping he can carry the form over to FG.

Still no Sargent? Is Smith giving him the run in PL or is he still injured?

Burwood

Bench
Smith is a smart man- he is still refusing to name Kidley in the halves:D I don't care where Kidley plays, as long as he doesn't take on a play making role. Let him stick to what he does best.

Uate on the bench? So either Tighe, MacDougall or McManus are under an injury cloud?

If no one gets injured and the bench remains Polglase, White, Tolar & Paterson we will have a monster forward pack!

CJKnight

Juniors
White: 110kg
Tolar: 100kg
Patto: 105kg
Perry: 119kg
Wooly: 109kg
Reyno: 102kg
Simmo: 104kg
Abes: 106kg
Newton: 103kg

Christ that's a massive pack! Not to mention Abes is playing 5/8 which is not even a forward position. Not one bloke under 100kgs.

The backups in Royal and Snowden are 107kgs and 113kgs respectively.

Latest posts