What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine vs Daley

Mundine vs Daley

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Southernsaint

Staff member
Angry_eel said:
Atleast Daley wasn't a quitter. i haven't seen either of them play but i'd hate to have a player in my team who'll take his bat and ball and go home because he thought the game was unfair. Real Champions go through the good and the bad.

So I guess you're not a fan of Allan Langer either??

fourplay said:
So ? Adam Perry was in bulldogs 04 grandfinal winning team does that mean hes better than Cameron Smith ? The reason Mundine wasn't playing 5/8 for NSW was because Brad Fittler was the incumbent.

Daley was the incumbent 5/8 during that time. He only played centre in 96, 1 game in 98, and half a game in 99 cos Pearce was playing games (Daley named at 6) Fittler was shifted to lock quite a lot. Check ya facts at the door.

97 Daley was 5/8 for NSW & Australia in the Super League comp. Mundine was centre for the broncos and couldn't even crack NSW.

Laurie Daley kept Mundine out of the NSW 5/8 spot, Mundine could only manage 3 games off the bench in 99. And he didn't play 5/8 that's for sure. lol.

Daley is the best player i've ever seen. Mundine's not in the top 10.

Cranky

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
So I guess you're not a fan of Allan Langer either??
When Alf left, he felt he was playing like sh*t and letting his team mates down. He figured Ben Walker could do a better job.

I don't think The Mouth Mundine had anywhere near the same train of thought as Langer....

Blind Freddy

Juniors
Daley is one of the greatest players to ever grace the field.

Mundine was certainly no slouch he just played when Daley and Fitler was around. Just emphasises what kind of talent was around back in the 90's

If Mundine was around today tho things may be different, he would certainly be viewed differently. Now there are no great 5/8's that play the game baring in mind that Lockyer should be remembred as one of the best Fullbacks ever he's only had 2 years at 5/8.

I'll stir some people up here and say Mundine and Fitler could be a closer debate.

Daley is a sh*t selector tho ;-)

Mundine couldn't put 2 games together one game he was brilliant, next week unnoticeable.
Daley was onsong every week.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Anyone remember when mundine was shooting off about how they would spank Melbourne...........Then the dragons got smashed by 70.....Those were the days..

Raider Ultra

Bench
Haha, I remember that game quite vividly. Fine contender to go into the category of 'Great Moments of League Ownage'.

Mundine has been and still is the only promoter of himself , which is fine for boxing , but when it comes to RL no-one of any credentials has said Mundine was a better league player than Daley. The facts are there to back it up. Mundine was the best for doing the backflip , he had Daley's measure there.

Slackboy72

Coach
My personal opinion is that Daley was one of the most fantastic runners and one of the best centers we've seen. He wasn't a true 5/8 but more effective playing like he did than most 5/8s he played against such as Walters who was true 5/8 and Fittler who was a pseudo 5/8 cum lock.
Barrrett was similar to Daley in this way: great at running at a line, average at passing and kicking.

Mundine was more a 5/8 than Daley but his biggest shortcoming was the inability of his teammates to follow him. Hence Daley was more effective; Mundine more a 5/8.

What we really want is a 5/8 like Cliffy Lyons or Terry Lamb back in the game

Southernsaint

Staff member
Slackboy72 said:
My personal opinion is that Daley was one of the most fantastic runners and one of the best centers we've seen. He wasn't a true 5/8 but more effective playing like he did than most 5/8s he played against such as Walters who was true 5/8 and Fittler who was a pseudo 5/8 cum lock.
Barrrett was similar to Daley in this way: great at running at a line, average at passing and kicking.

Mundine was more a 5/8 than Daley but his biggest shortcoming was the inability of his teammates to follow him. Hence Daley was more effective; Mundine more a 5/8.

Agree totally.

In this age the players are mostly athletes first and footballers second. There's been a drop off of spontenaiety and creativity, players are just coached to within an inch of their lives.

Slackboy72 said:

Explain how Mundine is more of a 5/8 than Daley. Mundine didn't have a long kicking game at all. Daley was not average at passing or kicking. He was miles ahead of Mundine in those areas anyway. He just wasn't as good as Ricky Stuart at both of these aspects of the game. So people didn't notice as much.

106-15 LOL.

Daley was better than Lyons & Lamb too btw.

Slackboy72

Coach
Bobby DIGital said:
Explain how Mundine is more of a 5/8 than Daley. Mundine didn't have a long kicking game at all. Daley was not average at passing or kicking. He was miles ahead of Mundine in those areas anyway. He just wasn't as good as Ricky Stuart at both of these aspects of the game. So people didn't notice as much.

106-15 LOL.

Daley was better than Lyons & Lamb too btw.

Long kicking has nothing to do with it. I'm talking about attacking kicks such as grubbers and chips.

The traditional role of a 5/8 is someone who will run to the line and then either pass, kick or on occasion , run through it. Daley was such a strong runner, like Fittler and later Barrett, that he hardly ever kicked or passed near the defensive line (ala Walters, Lyons and Lamb). If he went to the line he was most likely going to try and beat his man - which he was very good at doing. This is why I said he was like a center (which is where he played before shifting to 5/8). So Mundine played more like a traditional 5/8 but Daley was a more effective player.

PS I don't think you can compare Daley to Lamb and Lyons unless you choose to be a one-eyed supporter who hates Manly or Canterbury. I hated them too but I can't ignore their incredible contribution in terms of talent and skill. They were, I hate to say, geniuses of their day.

Latest posts