What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mundine vs Daley

Mundine vs Daley

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Changa said:
His short kicking game was also second to none.

Considering Alan Langer was still around I think Mundine's short kicking games was second to someone, plus a few more people.

Sorry mate but your backing a dud. Mundine was a winger who could pass a ball (when it suited him anyway)

Ant

Juniors
Changa said:
Mundine was seen as a liablity in defence and probably rightly so...poor tackling technique and ineffective at stopping bigger men's offloads. Tended to slap at the ball quite often which would be a huge problem now days with the 2-man stripping rule. However as an attacking 5/8 he had it all, strong running game and footwork, creativity, vision and precision in everything he did. His short kicking game was also second to none. He was not an organiser nor was he often a 1st choice field kicker, but I suppose having Goldthorpe outside him he did'nt have to be. As a 5/8 camped in the opponents halves there was no 5/8 id rather have to create tries.

I think you pointed out in your own post why Mundine is rated below the other top 5/8ths, rugby league is a multi facted game. No doubt Mundine's running game was great, he had a pretty good short kicking game, but that was about it.

Mundine was not as well rounded as the likes of fittler or daley, and both those guys had good running games. But unlike Mundine both were very good defenders, in fact Daley in particular was at times a punishing defender (memorably smashed andrew gee off a tap in origin). Mundine could only be classed as a solid defender at best, and at times a horrible defender. That is the biggest reason Mundine is not in the same class. You cannot be a great attacking player and weak defencive player to be ranked among the best.

His lack of all round quality means he ranks below the best 5/8ths of his era (daley and fittler), good player but not great. He didn't make rep sides because he wasn't good enough. Same category as the likes of kevie walters, mathew johns.

Southernsaint

Staff member
A few things:

- Choc has better hair. Daley wears a dead cat toupee
- Choc still gets people posting on him on a Rugby League forum 7 years after he left the game entirely. Far more than Daley.
- Daley had a great supporting cast, Mundine didn't have the same quality of players surrounding him, but he definently did make his team-mates better.
- The whole "Old Legs" story is old water near a bridge. Daley & Choc talked about it a week after it came out and it was all sorted. if they've got no issue with it I don't know why everyone else is.

Raider Azz

Bench
this isn't even worth talking about. anybody with any kind of league knowledge knows it's daley by a country mile.

kooriguy

Juniors
daley was one of my altime favourite players.. easily in the top my 5 and was one of the reasons i played league as a kid, but i would still have to choose mundine, he was a freak, and i have no doubt that if he wasnt so controversial and stayed with league, his star would have far outshone daleys.

Charlie124

First Grade
I hated Daley as a player (me being a QLDer of course) but bloody hell im amazed that anyone would even consider Mundine over Daley in terms of abilitly or skill.

lightyears appart

NGR

Juniors
daley had a great kinesthetic sense of the game, he had all the tricks.

mundine had more natural ability, far greater athlete and unfortunately let himself down with his mouth...

mundine for me...

Southernsaint

Staff member
Dunno what Mundine's mouth has to do with his football ability. But anyway, as I said, put Mundine with a better supporting cast or put Daley with some of the Planks Choc had to play with and people's opinions might be different...

fourplay said:
I don't think Daley was as good as Mundine at 24..

LMFAO...why did you even go there

Daley 3 premierships & captained 3 origin series wins at age 24.

Laurie Daley is one of the all time greats. Mundine will go down in history as a flash in the pan.

NGR

Juniors
Southernsaint said:
Dunno what Mundine's mouth has to do with his football ability. But anyway, as I said, put Mundine with a better supporting cast or put Daley with some of the Planks Choc had to play with and people's opinions might be different...
his mouth overshadowed his game...

donkey|rope

Juniors
NGR said:
mundine had more natural ability, far greater athlete and unfortunately let himself down with his mouth...
why do people always say that sh*t? seriously, if that is the great flaw of mundine's game, you are just being a goose.

i voted daley. a lot of the pro mundine posts are more or less 'what if's'. there is no denying his talent, skill and promise, but the man didn't achieve close to what daley achieved at any level.

mundine was just an idea, daley was the actualization.

fourplay

Juniors
Bobby DIGital said:
LMFAO...why did you even go there

Daley 3 premierships & captained 3 origin series wins at age 24.

Laurie Daley is one of the all time greats. Mundine will go down in history as a flash in the pan.

So ? Adam Perry was in bulldogs 04 grandfinal winning team does that mean hes better than Cameron Smith ? The reason Mundine wasn't playing 5/8 for NSW was because Brad Fittler was the incumbent.

Latest posts