What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My daily drivel

Which Big 4 is better?

• Broncos

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Storms

Votes: 29 82.9%

• Total voters

CMUX

They get away with it in the NBA aswell even with a booming European market to contend with.

There is nothing to stop an NFL player playing another sport the same way Rugby League players choose to play Yawnion or Boggerball, if they want to chase the cash let them.

A salary cap and a draft go hand in hand you can't have one without the other.

Key problem there is that a NFL player is not going to earn more money elsewhere where as a NRL player has plenty of more lucrative options. Same with the NBA

The star players won't earn more money but your average player potentialy could. Like I said nothing stops and NFL player from doing what league players do. Have a look at all the people who have left our game for England, Union and fumbleball and see how many were genuine star players as opposed to your average first grader. Keeping star players is not usually a problem it is keeping your average first grader that is the problem.

applesauce

Bench
They get away with it in the NBA aswell even with a booming European market to contend with.

You obviously don't watch much NBA. They think Gasol is a great player but only one of a few European players who can play on the same level as other NBA locals. There is no way a NBA draftee would choose a spot in a starting Euro side for top dollar over just the chance to make it big in the NBA. The standard of play, the money and accolades are not even close between the 2 comps.

As far as i am concerned there is no comparison for options for young players, it is NBA-1 daylight second. It's like saying the MLS and EPL are on the same playing field cause the MLS has an old Beckham and Henry.

Draft would never work in the NRL.

dollyhands

Juniors
Most open competition yet, we still have dollyhands making waves and isaiah is still around.

I wonder what category ClintDogg would be in?
Thanks for the mention:D My net has been down for a week, and i can see i have a fare bit of work ahead of me to come out on top. Thanks again for the encouragement 1 Balled twig:lol::lol::lol:

simostorm

Bench
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,27543389-5018866,00.html

NRL should give Bruno a job when he finishes at the Broncs.. he can go around to other clubs and help there CEO's out. ;-)

Look at this..

2006 Grand Final teams..

Brisbane Broncos:
1. Justin Hodges
2. Darius Boyd
3. Brent Tate
4. David Stagg
5. Karmichael Hunt
6. Darren Lockyer
7. Shane Perry
8. Shane Webcke
9. Shaun Berrigan
10. Petero Civoniceva
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Brad Thorn
13. Tonie Carroll
Subs:
14. Corey Parker
15. Dane Carlaw
16. Ben Hannant
17. Casey McGuire

Melbourne Storm:
1. Billy Slater
2. Matt Geyer
3. Matt King
4. Greg Inglis
5. Steve Turner
6. Scott Hill
7. Cooper Cronk
8. Antonio Kaufusi
9. Cameron Smith
10. Brett White
11. David Kidwell
12. Ryan Hoffman
13. Dallas Johnson
Subs:
14. Adam Blair
15. Jeremy Smith
16. Ben Cross
17. Nathan Friend

Storm were over the cap and Brisbane were not.

gUt

Coach
There is a complete lie in this article:

It is understood Brisbane are one of the most active clubs in utilising the salary cap guidelines and they have 20 third-party arrangements totalling close to $1 million that have already been approved by salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

It's not understood by the lesser clubs at all.

applesauce

Bench
Boyd, Hannant, Stagg were all on their first contracts with the club. We lost them when they went for market value 2 years later.

Thaiday was not the player he is now and was on the money that reflected that.

Shane Perry, do I need to say more.

Parker, Carlaw and McGuire are not a strong bench and if the Broncos had sense would not of been on big coin at the time.

Civ was on sh*t money and was promised a massive upgrade on Webke ($350k) was one. Civ never got that $350 so left to the Panthers when the Broncos saved all their cash for a 21year old Hunt in 2 years time (who left as well).

Thorn and Carroll were well into their 30's they couldn't be on more than $200k each.

Lockyer $600k (don't know how much in the cap)
Webcke $350k
Hodges $270k

Don't know what you are getting at. We brought these players through then they were sold on the market for top dollar (it's like buying cheap shares then selling them when they are worth a bit). We haven't kept a fab 4 for 6 years. Different players become better at different times, we lost much of that team and kept the few that were good but not great first graders. The onces we kept then turned into great first graders and on the next contract upgrade will be where we see where they go. But by then the TV deal will be in and the Broncos will be sweet. The ones we lost also turned into great firstgrade players but that doesn't mean when we had them they were or they were on a decent wicket eg (Boyd).

Paullyboy

Coach
He has the easiest job in the NRL, he's the CEO of the only team in one of the biggest markets in the country.

simostorm

Bench
Boyd, Hannant, Stagg were all on their first contracts with the club. We lost them when they went for market value 2 years later.

Thaiday was not the player he is now and was on the money that reflected that.

Shane Perry, do I need to say more.

Parker, Carlaw and McGuire are not a strong bench and if the Broncos had sense would not of been on big coin at the time.

Civ was on sh*t money and was promised a massive upgrade on Webke ($350k) was one. Civ never got that $350 so left to the Panthers when the Broncos saved all their cash for a 21year old Hunt in 2 years time (who left as well).

Thorn and Carroll were well into their 30's they couldn't be on more than $200k each.

Lockyer $600k (don't know how much in the cap)
Webcke $350k
Hodges $270k

Don't know what you are getting at. We brought these players through then they were sold on the market for top dollar (it's like buying cheap shares then selling them when they are worth a bit). We haven't kept a fab 4 for 6 years. Different players become better at different times, we lost much of that team and kept the few that were good but not great first graders. The onces we kept then turned into great first graders and on the next contract upgrade will be where we see where they go. But by then the TV deal will be in and the Broncos will be sweet. The ones we lost also turned into great firstgrade players but that doesn't mean when we had them they were or they were on a decent wicket eg (Boyd).

Im not suggesting anything other then that i think he could be a good tool to help other clubs.

Jason Maher

Immortal
There is a complete lie in this article:

It's not understood by the lesser clubs at all.

You failed English in high school, didn't you?

On the topic though, I've often wondered about the number of Broncos players showing up in NRMA ads (presumably they're not doing it gratis). I always thought the NRL had a rather strict (and rather low) limit on third party deals. And it was a hell of a lot less than $1 million. Perhaps they've upped it significantly since Money Bill's little dummy spit a few years back.

simostorm

Bench
Mods.. give yoursleves a uppercut for moving the draft thread into here rather than letting it stand on its own..

Blocker was in support of the draft, as he said on the Matty Johns show last night.

applesauce

Bench
Mods.. give yoursleves a uppercut for moving the draft thread into here rather than letting it stand on its own..

Blocker was in support of the draft, as he said on the Matty Johns show last night.

Blocker is a f**king moron. While he went on about the draft dribble he said "lets make the strong clubs weaker and the weak clubs stronger." :lol:

If anyone needs and uppercut it is Blocker.

You obviously don't watch much NBA. They think Gasol is a great player but only one of a few European players who can play on the same level as other NBA locals. There is no way a NBA draftee would choose a spot in a starting Euro side for top dollar over just the chance to make it big in the NBA. The standard of play, the money and accolades are not even close between the 2 comps.

Another dope. Ofcourse Lebron James isn't going to sign with a Euroleague team but players like Josh Childress, Carlos Arroyo and Earl Boykins did. There's alot of money to be made for role players in Europe who will assume the position of starter or franchise star.

He has taken full advanatge of the rules for player payments from sponsers outside the cap. The problem is that other teams don't have the same level of market to themselves.

The Broncos play at a great stadium built by the QLD government and I believe from my time living in QLD they get the best stadium hiring deal going. In fact I believe the REDS and ROAR pay way more to use the same stadium.

This stadium deal gives them a great source of income. It means they can turn sponsers away from the club to individual players.

It would be like the NSW governement buiding a 40,000 -50,000 seat stadium at Liverpool for the Dogs and Tigers, letting them lease it for a song and spend a heap of state money from various Government agencies in Sponsering the club eg State rail etc etc.

In the past before the pookie tax and anti smoking laws crippled the Sydney Clubs many could (and some did) spend way over the cap. I doubt there would be more than 2 current Sydney Clubs that could provide a heap of money from sponsers outside the club to individual players.

Brisbane for the size of the city and their love of league needs a second team, this would straight away move some sponser money away from the Broncos.

Unless a cap comes in for outside the sponsers of the club payments the Broncos and Titians should continue to be very strong.

Cullen is a good administator but he has a great set up. Put him in charge at the Tigers, Eels or Sharks and see how good he really is.