What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My daily drivel

Which Big 4 is better?

• Broncos

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Storms

Votes: 29 82.9%

• Total voters

gronkathon

First Grade
Bubble Dome was impressive. For atmosphere I don't think it will ever reach the heights of the SFS or Suncorp for a RL game. Maybe for the Soccer.

The best thing AAMI park has is it's locality. Having city planners with half a brain certainly helps in that regard.

In the end though I am very traditional about my League. Give me a full Laichhardt Oval or Oki Jubilee any day of the week. That is a true Rugby League experience. Modern seated stadiums have a significant part to play but can also lead to a very passive experience.

Just my 2c

PS> Simostorm. The team you support are cheats :)

kmav23

Juniors
You have to admit guys, VIC govt and AFL are leaps ahead of NSW.

They have better infrastructure... not just better stadiums..

Red Bear

Referee
Well becuase Sydney was our first city, it has very poor organisation, as it always has been a massive sprawl, attmpeting to reach further out. Not to mention that the traditional inner city is a fair distance from the population base, and that it is such a huge area georgraphically for a city. The organisational problems that make Melbourne easier to organise than Sydney strech back aloooong time.

Green Machine

First Grade
I like SFS but the seats are too low pitch so you do feel a fair ways from the action. I prefer stadia with a steep pitch seating, pain to climb but great views and on top of the players.

Anywhere halfway back on the bowl is good (except for some seat in the corner at the northern end which are obscured). The lower part of the bowl was reconfigured a few years ago, which brought the seat closer to the pitch, with a lower camber. The top tier view is great from the front to half way back. The SFS is very good but has some big problems. The roof is a failure. If you are seated in the bowl, in most cases, if you are not under the concrete overhang from the top tier, you’ll get wet. TV hates doing day games from the SFS, due to the roof allowing the sun to beam in and out from the panels at the back of the top tier.
If you think the view at the SFS is bad, ANZ is way worse,

simostorm

Bench
Well becuase Sydney was our first city, it has very poor organisation, as it always has been a massive sprawl, attmpeting to reach further out. Not to mention that the traditional inner city is a fair distance from the population base, and that it is such a huge area georgraphically for a city. The organisational problems that make Melbourne easier to organise than Sydney strech back aloooong time.

I love the excuses and rubbish some of you guys come out with..

Now your goin back to the founding of Sydney as a excuse for your rubbish stadiums. :lol::lol::lol:

Red Bear

Referee
I love the excuses and rubbish some of you guys come out with..

Now your goin back to the founding of Sydney as a excuse for your rubbish stadiums. :lol::lol::lol:
You have no f**king idea what you are talking about. If you ever go to Sydney (which im very much doubting you have) you will realise that, unlike the boring parallel streets of Melbourne and Adelaide, Sydney is a much more difficult place to navigate, and is also incredibly spread out. It is much harder to organise infrstructure wise (im talking transport etc) that cities like Melbourne and Adelaide. It has nothing to do with the quality of stadiums.

Keysee

Juniors

On behalf of all reasonable Storm supporters down here in Melbourne, I would like to apologise re Simostorm, my god what dribble. In the AFL, we had a ground rationalisation program to reduce the costs to individual clubs where the ground became an AFL cost, not a club cost.
Totally agree, we are so lucky that you can get off a tram or train and walk to the MCG or Rod Laver Arena or AAMI Park or Docklands.

Red Bear

Referee
ha
the other thing with Sydney is that the ground with public transport access is utterly sh*thouse

thorson1987

Coach
On behalf of all reasonable Storm supporters down here in Melbourne, I would like to apologise re Simostorm, my god what dribble. In the AFL, we had a ground rationalisation program to reduce the costs to individual clubs where the ground became an AFL cost, not a club cost.
Totally agree, we are so lucky that you can get off a tram or train and walk to the MCG or Rod Laver Arena or AAMI Park or Docklands.

+1

But i would say storm supporters in general.

thorson1987

Coach
yeah forgot about that. Campbelltown is a pretty damn good ground, especially with just under 20k like the other week

Yeah its also got a decent surface too. Im playing there next weekend. Should be good. Hope the sheds have been renovated.

NSO would be alrite for public transport if there wasnt a big arse hill from the train station (I refuse to catch public transport unless necessary)

Parraletic

Juniors
Why is AAMI only 30,000 though? I can't believe the govt spent so much money on a stadium to make it that small. Why wouldn't they make it hold at least 40,000 so then it could have been used for the Wold Cup? Dumb IMO!

Would love to see Parramatta increase it's capacity by at least 10,000. While it's a great stadium with a great atmosphere it is too small. Hopefully they will build stands on the ends soon.

dollyhands

Juniors
Why is AAMI only 30,000 though? I can't believe the govt spent so much money on a stadium to make it that small. Why wouldn't they make it hold at least 40,000 so then it could have been used for the Wold Cup? Dumb IMO!

Would love to see Parramatta increase it's capacity by at least 10,000. While it's a great stadium with a great atmosphere it is too small. Hopefully they will build stands on the ends soon.
Apparently it has the ground work laid so it can be upgraded to 42k in the distant future if need be, but read it would be a bloody huge job

simostorm

Bench

Its because Melbourne already has a world class 50k stadium and a 80k.. So why build something they already have? Dumb.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Apparently it has the ground work laid so it can be upgraded to 42k in the distant future if need be, but read it would be a bloody huge job

IIRC they made the foundations solid enough to handle any large expansion but the roof was made/designed in such a way that any expansion of the stadium is stupidly expensive. This'll come back to bite the Vic government in the arse for sure.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Its because Melbourne already has a world class 50k stadium and a 80k.. So why build something they already have? Dumb.

World class? I hope you plan on taking some binoculars when you watch any future Origin matches at the MCG... Vic's problem is that they don't have a big football stadium, they only have two cricket grounds.