What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My daily drivel

Which Big 4 is better?

• Broncos

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Storms

Votes: 29 82.9%

• Total voters

simostorm

Bench
World class? I hope you plan on taking some binoculars when you watch any future Origin matches at the MCG... Vic's problem is that they don't have a big football stadium, they only have two cricket grounds.

Origin Matches in Melbourne are now played at Docklands you goose haha..

simostorm

Bench
Dont think it will be a problem man.. Suncorp fits round the 50ish K.. and theres no problems having it there. So i'd imagine Docklands will be more then fine.

Apparently it has the ground work laid so it can be upgraded to 42k in the distant future if need be, but read it would be a bloody huge job

Its because Melbourne already has a world class 50k stadium and a 80k.. So why build something they already have? Dumb.

Why is AAMI only 30,000 though? I can't believe the govt spent so much money on a stadium to make it that small. Why wouldn't they make it hold at least 40,000 so then it could have been used for the Wold Cup? Dumb IMO!

Would love to see Parramatta increase it's capacity by at least 10,000. While it's a great stadium with a great atmosphere it is too small. Hopefully they will build stands on the ends soon.

Dont think it will be a problem man.. Suncorp fits round the 50ish K.. and theres no problems having it there. So i'd imagine Docklands will be more then fine.

Guys, its only 30k because pre existing stadiums did a deal with the govt that any new stadium in the area would be no more than circa 20k until 20??

dont know exact details off the top of my head.....but after some pushing they agreed to a stadium that was around 31,000.

this deal was done to protect pre existing facilities because to begin with the govt had to obtain rights to build it; maybe land, etc, and it would compromise their business....and the govt being the govt, it looks after everyone, so it was a fair outcome.

the foundations can hold up to 50k. but the roof design being one piece makes it difficult to tear down, meaning any upgrade would need to be done for a very good reason. its not easily expandable and it would be costly. if memory serves me right there may be another reason other than upgrade potential for the foundations being so over the top.

Last edited:
What the fudge knuckles?

A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind. Are you brain-dead? Are your parents siblings?

Brains aren't everything. In fact, in your case they're nothing!

If I write with variables, its just that. You can substitute reasonable figures for those. Maybe I should have dumbed it down for you. Why dont you run a google search for an article about it.

The problem with forums like these, people operate off extreme ignorance. Like, do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?

Stay focussed here!! Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

Here's a thought for you....you have depth, but only on the surface. Down deep inside, you are shallow. A hollow troll.

Now run along, you are depriving a village somewhere of its idiot ->>>>

Did I mention they were variables, which your pre pubervescent mind should be able to comprehend.....i mean they teach that stuff in grade 6....with triangles and squares in place of algebraic letters.

Dont tell me the wheel is spinning but the hamster died, pal.....

dollyhands

Juniors
A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind. Are you brain-dead? Are your parents siblings?

Brains aren't everything. In fact, in your case they're nothing!

If I write with variables, its just that. You can substitute reasonable figures for those. Maybe I should have dumbed it down for you. Why dont you run a google search for an article about it.

The problem with forums like these, people operate off extreme ignorance. Like, do you ever wonder what life would be like if you'd had enough oxygen at birth?

Stay focussed here!! Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone.

Here's a thought for you....you have depth, but only on the surface. Down deep inside, you are shallow. A hollow troll.

Now run along, you are depriving a village somewhere of its idiot ->>>>

Did I mention they were variables, which your pre pubervescent mind should be able to comprehend.....i mean they teach that stuff in grade 6....with triangles and squares in place of algebraic letters.

Dont tell me the wheel is spinning but the hamster died, pal.....
What the fudge knuckles?

Big Pete

Referee
I haven't seen said new stadium but it looks good from what I've seen, much better than Olympic Park which still holds the record for worst venue I've watched a first grade match in.

Sydney Football Stadium is good but it's in desperate need of a face lift.

bileduct

Coach
I haven't seen said new stadium but it looks good from what I've seen, much better than Olympic Park which still holds the record for worst venue I've watched a first grade match in.
Worse than Bruce Stadium before they renovated the inner bowl to bring people closer to the game?

On the topic of rugby league stadiums, the new western grandstand for WIN Stadium:

780731.jpg

Grandstand overhaul to revamp city

SAM HALL
13 May, 2010 09:39 AM
This is the new-look design that will lead the transformation of Wollongong's eastern precinct into a much-heralded tourism hub.
The $29 million western grandstand redevelopment at WIN Stadium has been unveiled, bringing with it the promise of some much-needed activity on the city's skyline.
The redeveloped grandstand will secure the stadium's viability as a national sporting facility, according to Illawarra Venues Authority chairman Chris Christodoulou.
"We will be able to attract other sporting codes that otherwise wouldn't come down here, including rugby union, City vs Country football matches or even as a training venue for World Cup soccer," he said.

Click here to post your favourite memories of WIN Stadium

The 6000-seat grandstand would boost WIN Stadium's capacity to 23,000, in addition to ticketing, catering, media and restroom upgrades.
The stand is expected to increase the stadium's total economic output by $8.5 million each year, while providing 640 jobs during construction and 81 on completion.
The designs, drawn up by Sydney-based firm Allen Jack + Cottier, feature a revamped Harbour St entrance, retail space and two function rooms. Among the contentious issues of the design is a narrow one-way thoroughfare alongside the stadium.
"One of the things we have proposed is Harbour St being a one-way street between Burelli and Stewart streets to accommodate the commercial development," Mr Christodoulou said.
At 31.3m high, the stand narrowly squeezes within the 32m local environmental plan restriction, which is not a significant factor, according to Mr Christodoulou.
"It's about the same height as the northern grandstand ... It won't be any different for buildings within that vicinity," he said.
Unlike the Sid Hayes stand, the new canopy roof design would ensure all patrons are undercover.
Demolition works on the old grandstand will begin on June 7, before construction starts in September.
The project is due to be finished by the end of 2011, while St George Illawarra Dragons games will return as early as June next year.
The development application will go on public exhibition at Wollongong City Council in the coming weeks.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...andstand-overhaul-to-revamp-city/1828976.aspx

Goddo

Bench
I love the excuses and rubbish some of you guys come out with..

Now your goin back to the founding of Sydney as a excuse for your rubbish stadiums. :lol::lol::lol:

Its more that Sydney has always been a mess when it comes to infrastructure, and we have had more than our fair share of poor state governance.

There are only really 2 guys in the history of Sydney who really tried to sort the joint out:

Governor Macquarie, tried to give Sydney a grid Street plan and
Bradfield, the guy who designed the bridge and planned for the harbour tunnel creating an infrastructure "triangle" between the bridge, tunnel and circular quay. He also is responsible for the city circle rail.

Neither of these guys fully got what they wanted either. Everything else has pretty much been band-aid fixes, and this includes stadiums. There is no long term plan or stratergy in Sydney. Just throw money at a problem and hope it goes away.

Sydney needs a metro system badly, yet the first part of that has been scrapped, and the gov is now paying out something like $400m for broken promises, and $200m for land aquasition and planning. Thats a lot of money with nothing to show for it.

Big Pete

Referee
Worse than Bruce Stadium before they renovated the inner bowl to bring people closer to the game?

Can't say I've ever been to Canberra.

Olympic Park was fairly bush league though, felt like I was watching a game at the grounds my school played on.

Evenflow

Bench
Why is AAMI only 30,000 though? I can't believe the govt spent so much money on a stadium to make it that small. Why wouldn't they make it hold at least 40,000 so then it could have been used for the Wold Cup? Dumb IMO!

Yeah, cos it'd be real smart to bulid the stadium to hold 40k just for only a couple of world cup games we may not even get :sarcasm:

Even if we do get the WC, again, why the hell would you build a stadium 10k seats bigger for the sake of a couple of games when the vast majority of the time it will be used by it's tennants the current capacity will be ample? Now that'd be dumb. If bigger games/events need more capacity it'll be moved to Etihad. Not real hard to work out.

This'll come back to bite the Vic government in the arse for sure.

Why?

Red Bear

Referee
Guys, its only 30k because pre existing stadiums did a deal with the govt that any new stadium in the area would be no more than circa 20k until 20??

dont know exact details off the top of my head.....but after some pushing they agreed to a stadium that was around 31,000.

this deal was done to protect pre existing facilities because to begin with the govt had to obtain rights to build it; maybe land, etc, and it would compromise their business....and the govt being the govt, it looks after everyone, so it was a fair outcome.

the foundations can hold up to 50k. but the roof design being one piece makes it difficult to tear down, meaning any upgrade would need to be done for a very good reason. its not easily expandable and it would be costly. if memory serves me right there may be another reason other than upgrade potential for the foundations being so over the top.

Pretty sure it was 20 years after Docklands completion.

Tank, western grandstand is the one that backs onto the street, on the left of the pic (opposite the hill)

Red Bear

Referee
Yeah its also got a decent surface too. Im playing there next weekend. Should be good. Hope the sheds have been renovated.

NSO would be alrite for public transport if there wasnt a big arse hill from the train station (I refuse to catch public transport unless necessary)
Alot of those ground like Cambo, Win etc have great surfaces because they dont seemed to be used quite as much (although both Win and Leichhardt are used for Soccer as well as league at the moment).

Nothing wrong with the walk up the hill to North Sydney Oval, good pubs on the way as well!

As for sydney, if you look at a similar example of organised chaos such as London the underground works wonders. Something like that would be the way to deal with transport problems, but it's probably far too late to impliment now, with both the cost and the disruption it would cause.