What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My QLD Team

Pistol

Coach
i think the majority of the team from last year barring Hannay, Wesser and Schifscosfke who were band aid solutions, Adam Mogg who is OS.

Hunt
Tate
Inglis
Hodges
Slater
Lockyer
Thurston
Price
Smith
Civ
Myles / Carroll
Webb
Johnson

Carlaw
Berrigan
Thaiday
Crocker / Lillyman / Scott

Pigskin

Juniors
11 Crocker
12 Webb
13 Johnson

15 Thaiday
16 Ross/Scott/Kaufusi/Myles or some other big unit
17 Carroll

some combination like above is likely to be the forward pack plus reserves

I personally like the idea of Johnson starting on the bench and playing the last 60 ... not questioning his heart or ability ... just makes more sense to have more size on the field to start and use him for the last 60 allowing the big men to rotate

Its also my preference to have 2 big men fresh ... therefore Carroll starting adds a bit of punch while maintaining fresh big boppers

no need to list the rest of the side, i think we all have the program

Oink !

Charlie124

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Where are you picking him! You cannot start him at fullback as we'll end up having another SOO1 2006 episode again and the bench is better with berrigan and 3 forwards.

If we were picking the team based on SOO1 2006 then not one player in our forward pack should be picked, during all of your bowen bashing you consistantly forget to mention how badly our forward pack was that night, completely dominated in every way. When you cant get a roll on in the forwards your backs dont stand much of a chance, Lockyer and Thurston (and the rest) were just as bad as Bowen that night yet he was the only one to pay the price, enter merkin in Game 2 and have another look at our forwards, they made the blues look like a pack of school girls and allowed our backs to shine. So take into account the form of both fullbacks in 2007, Bowen is setting the world on fire while merkin is clearly struggling with form, Slater has been great in patches too and would easily rate higher than merkin at the moment.

lockyno1 said:
You have Myles...you are just as bad! And Rogers is unavailable!

Myles was very good for Queensland last year. Rep teams are not solely picked on current form - everyone knows that. Myles proved he can step up a level. Some players can and others, who look great at club level, cannot.

Your're right about Rogers. Stick Berrigan on the bench then.

Just please selectors - NO M BOWEN.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Charlie124 said:
If we were picking the team based on SOO1 2006 then not one player in our forward pack should be picked, during all of your bowen bashing you consistantly forget to mention how badly our forward pack was that night, completely dominated in every way. When you cant get a roll on in the forwards your backs dont stand much of a chance, Lockyer and Thurston (and the rest) were just as bad as Bowen that night yet he was the only one to pay the price, enter merkin in Game 2 and have another look at our forwards, they made the blues look like a pack of school girls and allowed our backs to shine. So take into account the form of both fullbacks in 2007, Bowen is setting the world on fire while merkin is clearly struggling with form, Slater has been great in patches too and would easily rate higher than merkin at the moment.

You conveniently forgot to mention just how poor the kick return was in Game 1 and how many easy metres QLD gave away. I lost count of the number of times Bowen either went sideways and lost metres, or passed to his winger and lost more metres. The NSW forward pack would be literally salivating over all this talk of Bowen at fullback. Now I'm all for his inclusion on the bench, to fill a hooking role, but make no mistake, Bowen does not belong at fullback in a QLD SOO side.

Billybob

Juniors
5 cowboys players had their measurements taken yesterday for state of origin apparell
Thurston was one of them

as if the selectors dont know who they are picking by now
its all a big wank

probably made up their minds in round four

Shorty

Staff member
In the off chance of Bowen getting chosen for fullback,I hope there's no backlash on here about it,saying that he'll lose us a game or whatever.

He deserves a chance just as much as anyone else.

Meanie

Juniors
Cowgirl86 said:
In the off chance of Bowen getting chosen for fullback,I hope there's no backlash on here about it,saying that he'll lose us a game or whatever.

I think Bowen deserves another chance. Furthermore I think Hunt needs a kick up the arse. Hunt keeps crapping on about "I've gotta be more assertive, I've gotta take the pressure off of Lockie" then he doesn't change his game one bit. His main attacking move atm the moment is just that ridiculous hop step of his, and his last tackle options are non existent. Compounded with that near stuff up of his at the end of the Souths game, combined with Bowen's form, leads me too think Hunt should be booted.

Mr Saab

Referee
Cowgirl86 said:

If Bowen is chosen and QLD win and he plays well, then he will be praised...prob not by tosser Lockyno1....but i will.

And Meanie has spoken the truth about Hunt...he has dissapointed me in recent performances. I still think he should be QLD #1, but if he doesnt perform in game one and QLD somehow lose then he should be punted.

icewind

Juniors
Billybob said:
5 cowboys players had their measurements taken yesterday for state of origin apparell
Thurston was one of them

as if the selectors dont know who they are picking by now
its all a big wank

probably made up their minds in round four

5?

Players i can think who might be included in that 5:

Thurston (moral)
Webb (moral imo)
Payne
Bowen
Scott
Graham
Lilyman

Thurston webb payne bowen and scott maybe?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Frank_Grimes said:
You conveniently forgot to mention just how poor the kick return was in Game 1 and how many easy metres QLD gave away. I lost count of the number of times Bowen either went sideways and lost metres, or passed to his winger and lost more metres. The NSW forward pack would be literally salivating over all this talk of Bowen at fullback. Now I'm all for his inclusion on the bench, to fill a hooking role, but make no mistake, Bowen does not belong at fullback in a QLD SOO side.

Spot on. Except Berrigan is a better hooker.

Charlie124

First Grade
icewind said:
5?

Thurston (moral)
Webb (moral imo)
Payne
Bowen
Scott
Graham
Lilyman

Thurston - definate
Webb - definate
Payne - outside chance, but hopefully
Bowen - probable
Scott - definate
Graham - no chance
Lillyman - probable

babyg

Juniors
Mr Saab said:
If Bowen is chosen and QLD win and he plays well, then he will be praised...prob not by tosser Lockyno1....but i will.

And Meanie has spoken the truth about Hunt...he has dissapointed me in recent performances. I still think he should be QLD #1, but if he doesnt perform in game one and QLD somehow lose then he should be punted.

Totally agree. If Qld get on top. Bowen with Thurston will tear them apart. Hunt will not at any stage do that. Hunt is safer but if Qld are confident then they should go for NSW thoats and pick an attacking team.

Billybob

Juniors
the ones measured up were

Thirsty
Bowen
Scott
Lilyman
Webb

now this doesnt mean they will be picked
but why would they bother measuring if they were not going to

lockyno1

Post Whore
They are probally mesuring up more than 17 you know! Anyone who is considering a decent chance of featuring in the series would be getting measured.

League Legend

Juniors
Here ya go guys, chew over this side. There are alot of players I would like to put in but I just don't think the selectors will go for them. I know on form Bowen should be in the side, but I just can't see where they are going to put him.

1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Tonga
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer (c)
7. Thurston
8. Price
9. Smith
10. Civoniceva
11. Webb
12. Myles
13. Johnson
14. Berrigan
15. Lillyman
16. Carlaw
17. Kaufusi

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
im a blues fan but i reckon qld have a good side this year il have a stab at it

1.bowen
2.hunt
3.hodges
4.inglis
5.tate
6.lockyer
7.thurston
8.civoniceva
9.smith
10.price
11.webb
12.thorn
13.johnson

14.carlaw
15.kaufusi
16.berrigan
17.tronc

bowen_1

Juniors
Here is the side that I personally would pick, and i think SHOULD be picked, but unfortunately won't be

1. Bowen
2. Slater
3. Rogers
4. Hodges
5. Inglis
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Webb
12. Thaiday
13. Johnson

14. Payne
15. Carroll
16. Lillyman
17. Scott

Bowen is a far superior player to Hunt in most aspects of the game. You can argue all you want that Hunt is a better talker, combo with locky etc etc but at the end of the day i think qld are better off with bowen there, and hunt's form has not been great this year.

With Rogers, he's been steadily improving this year after coming back from yawnion and had his best game against the cows on monday night. What's impressed me is his defense, which is a lot more solid than Inglis's, hence I've put Rogers in the centres and Inglis wing. If Rogers is unavailable i'll go with Tate, for lack of any better options.
Halves and front row pick themselves.

I've gone for a back-row that will get us metres early on and make a dent in the line, and they can come back later and relieve the props. This is also the reason i've gone for a second-row-heavy bench. Price and Civo are durable and will play at least 60 mins. Lillyman and Scott are in terrific form and will not be overawed now that they have some origin experience.

I've selected Payne because Berrigan has done nothing this year, imo Payne is a lot more dangerous and creative at dummy-half. Some will say Berrigan is a better option due to his utility value. Well i disagree because our backline is able to chop and change positions easily if one goes down, and Carroll can play centres if need be. Also Payne is a ready-made halves replacement if thurston or locky happen to get injured.

Unfortunately, the above team won't be selected, as the qld selectors look like they'll "go with the blokes that did the job for us last year". So this is probably the team they will pick:

1. Hunt
2. Tate
3. Inglis
4. Hodges
5. Slater
6. Lockyer
7. Thurston
8. Civoniceva
9. Smith
10. Price
11. Thorn
12. Carroll
13. Johnson

14. Berrigan
15. Myles/Carlaw/Crocker
16. Thaiday
17. Webb

IMO qld should go with the first team, the in-form team. Too often rep selectors have been caught in the trap of picking incumbents (think tri-nations 2005).
Mal and his selectors took a fresh approach last year and picked a team of young, in-form players and look what happened. I think it's the way to go, but it probably won't happen.

In either case I still think we'll beat NSW.

dingalingbell

Juniors
Here's my team (I am a pom but i support Qld in SOO)

Hunt
Inglis
Hodges
Slater
Tate
Lockyer
Thurston
Price
Smith
Civo
Webb
Carroll
Johnson

Berrigan
Crocker (If fit, if not Myles)
Ross
Thaiday

I just can't find a place for Bowen unfortunately. The only place i could see him is instead of Berrigan

Hunt always gets in for mine, one of the toughest teenagers have ever seen imo, and a big game player too, was outstanding in the tests.

PS have no club loyalties (am Warriors fan), so no bias, and I can't imagine anyone arguing with Steve Price' selection.

Latest posts