What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name two players from the Rugby World Cup that you would love to see in the NRL

JB

Juniors
Welsh centre Jamie Roberts.

6 foot 4. 110kgs. Hard running big bugger that takes a power of stopping.

oh and Israel Dagg.

Fibroman

First Grade
braith anasta to yawnion. big kick and a pretty boy that would fit right in with all the private school boy spastics that play yawnion.

Loudstrat

Coach
I echo AG's thoughts. These guys might do ok in their sport with it's particular idiosyncrasies, but I have seen none that show the potential of converting with the sucess of Michael O'Connor, Jonathon Davies, Iyestin Harris or Ray Price. Quade Cooper looks like a bald, scared Jamie Soward - thanks God for not letting Osbourne sign him! Certainly none of the forwards - you are down with 5 minutes to go, you are 15m out - and it's ingrained into two test packs to simply do a voluntary tackle. One pass wide of the ruck to Fui on the burst would have been a match winner.

All that said, If I was cashed up to buy potential League players I'd throw the lot at the French side. Les Chanteleers would benefit more than anyone for having Union talent. That aside, I'd probably go for the Welsh spear tackler and point him at Ennis.

There is no one in that tournament that we could use.

Green Machine

First Grade
I'd love the Roosters to start buying Union players like they did with Sherlock, the Bourke Bros, Cook, Papworth, Junee etc,

mave

Coach
Half-penny.

Welsh fullback. Was everywhere against the Frogs. Reads the game very, very well imo.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Jerome Kaino nearly signed for bulldogs apparently a few years back
Ditto Nonu with Tigers

Hosea Gear, Robbie Fruean & Rene Ranger - (gear has since resigned with NZRU) are players league should target more - suited to league IMO.

Ioane with a doubt would be a weapon.

Manu Tuilagi (england) is a gun and only very young - woudltn mind seing Wigan or an ESL club give him a big pay packer to play League.

I think Jerome Kaino and Hosea Gear lookalike.

Red Bear

Referee
Kind of like Benji a few years back?
Except benji, despite being a rubbish defender, still tried to tackle (infact tried to put shoulder charges on and f**ked his shoulders). Had commitment was just crap, he's improved alot since then. Cooper doesnt even have the attitude.

Spanner in the works

First Grade
Kurtley Beale - he plays like a league player.
Pierre Spies - this guy would be unbelievable I think, especially if he was put in the centres. Virtually unstoppable.
http://www.keo.co.za/2009/05/15/spiess-cognitive-evolution/

I’ll throw some stats your way to underline the majesty of the beast who has just declined a meal and a Coke, preferring mineral water instead. ‘I’ll eat later,’ he says. ‘What? A baby rhino?’ I wonder. Spies power cleans 135kg. He dead lifts 240kg. He bench presses 165kg. Only mildly impressed? Wait, here are some more. He is able to do pull-ups with a 50kg weight between his legs. He can launch his 108kg body 1.4m onto a raised platform, sprints for 835m before slowing on a repeated sprint-ability test and has a body-fat percentage of 6.5.

Apparently he can run the 100m in under 11 seconds too. I knew he was lightning but that's about as quick as they come.

Last edited:

paulmac

Juniors
Israel Dagg killed us and the other bloke I liked was no 12 for South Africa, ran hard and good lines.

joshreading

Staff member
It is whilst the Rugby World Cup is on that RL press should start to release rumours of players from an array of Union nations such as South Africa being scouted by the NRL on the back of its anticipated expansion and Billion dollar deal.

It need not happen, a little hype and attention our way at their expense seems to have worked somewhat for both AFL and Union. (we don't actually need to waste money just look and scare them with big money on the horizon)

South Africa in particular should be a target for scouts and media. It now has a growing middle class (albeit still HUGE gap), great Rugby background athletes and spectators that like NZ are already somewhat accustomed Rugby as a form of football.

aqua_duck

Coach
Kind of like Benji a few years back?

Benji was never an unwilling defender, he just had a few problems with his shoulders, Cooper will never have shoulder problems because he won't ever put his precious body on the line. Also Benji's error rate will never be as high as Quade Cooper

Rod

Bench
Agree with all the people saying Dagg, Ioane and Jane. Dagg, like O'Connor is just starting his career as well. He is going to be an absolute star.

My first pick though would be Nonu. With all the controversy about him being off contract earlier this year I was really hoping the Warriors would make a genuine attempt for him. It made a lot of sense because the Warriors would probably have enough cash to do it, they really need a quality centre, and by 2012 it was probably at least even money odds that Nonu would have a World Cup win under his belt so he wouldn't have that reason to stay in union. He really has all that is needed from a league centre: pace, power, an amazing ability to beat a man one-on-one, and a distribution game that has improved out of sight over the years.

The other person I would nominate that hasn't been mentioned yet is Dan Carter. Pinpoint kicking and passing game, and perhaps most importantly for a union half converting to league, a real talent at taking the line on and choosing the right times to do so. This one would never happen though unfortunately, he's one of those guys that you perceive as 100% union.

Latest posts