What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name two players from the Rugby World Cup that you would love to see in the NRL

Thomas

First Grade
Kurtley Beale - he plays like a league player.
Pierre Spies - this guy would be unbelievable I think, especially if he was put in the centres. Virtually unstoppable.
http://www.keo.co.za/2009/05/15/spiess-cognitive-evolution/

Apparently he can run the 100m in under 11 seconds too. I knew he was lightning but that's about as quick as they come.

That's all an urban myth, I'm afraid. Reports of Spies running a sub-11 second 100m go back to when he was a schoolboy and not the monster he is now. He is quick for a guy that size and strong but he isn't that quick.

Gmac

Juniors
think of all the grea LOL momments wed have if Souths had a halves pare of Sutton and Cooper :lol:

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
People suggesting that Cooper is actually not NRL quality are ridiculous. He had bad games against South Africa & New Zealand. Not the Bulldogs or the Raiders.

aqua_duck

Coach
That's all an urban myth, I'm afraid. Reports of Spies running a sub-11 second 100m go back to when he was a schoolboy and not the monster he is now. He is quick for a guy that size and strong but he isn't that quick.

He ran 10.7 as a schoolboy which is blistering, he'd be in the 11s now which would still be quicker than quite a few wingers. Pity he's got the heart the size of a pea

Spanner in the works

First Grade
I didn't think he was that quick. He's quicker than most but he doesn't look like a sub 11 guy when he runs.

He ran 10.7 as a schoolboy which is blistering, he'd be in the 11s now which would still be quicker than quite a few wingers. Pity he's got the heart the size of a pea

Not really that impressive once the under 11 100m is taken out ov the equation IMO. Also, I doubt he would be a true 6.5% bodyfat. Great alround athlete for sure but nothing special compared to the hype about him.

edit: yeah, definitely not 6.5% bodyfat and this was one ov the more flattering shots from my "pierre spies shirtless" google image search:
http://albums.24.com/DisplayImage.aspx?id=9a5a3173-5233-4458-a52b-b6aad2f23fdc&t=o

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
People suggesting that Cooper is actually not NRL quality are ridiculous. He had bad games against South Africa & New Zealand. Not the Bulldogs or the Raiders.

If Cooper did have plans to play in the NRL, they're long gone now.

He could make in the NRL, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 halves in the comp. And he wouldn't get within cooey of the $ amount he'd want.

rabble

Juniors
RE. Cooper's defence. I think it's fine. A good percentage of the backs in RU are bigger then their RL counterparts and just as fast. Than you got the forwards who are overall bigger. As for his high ball mistakes, playing fullback in DEF, i think was something the opp. started trying 2 or 3 games ago and found it worked and subsequently targeted. You would'nt see NZ kicking that much in a game normally. If Ewan McKenzie continues the practice of using QC at FB in DEF. QLD will be targeted in the same manner.

If Cooper did have plans to play in the NRL, they're long gone now.

He could make in the NRL, but he wouldn't be in the top 10 halves in the comp. And he wouldn't get within cooey of the $ amount he'd want.

I'd have in front of him:

Marshall
Thurston

He could be on par with the likes of:

Cronk
Foran
Campese
Soward
Mullen
Maloney
Pearce

I didn't count Johnson or DCE because they could actually be Mortimer in disguise.

rabble

Juniors
I guess it's like using JT or Cronk or Mullen at FB if they had to because they were shit in DEF. Plenty of RL halves get hidden in DEF. Different strokes for different um, games.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'd have in front of him:

Marshall
Thurston

He could be on par with the likes of:

Cronk
Foran
Campese
Soward
Mullen
Maloney
Pearce

I didn't count Johnson or DCE because they could actually be Mortimer in disguise.
there is no way he's on par with guys like Cronk or Foran, they're both fantastic defenders. I'd rate him in the Ben Barba category, not as good a ball runner but abit better playmaker

aqua_duck

Coach
RE. Cooper's defence. I think it's fine. A good percentage of the backs in RU are bigger then their RL counterparts and just as fast. Than you got the forwards who are overall bigger. As for his high ball mistakes, playing fullback in DEF, i think was something the opp. started trying 2 or 3 games ago and found it worked and subsequently targeted. You would'nt see NZ kicking that much in a game normally. If Ewan McKenzie continues the practice of using QC at FB in DEF. QLD will be targeted in the same manner.

His defence has nothing to do with the size of the players running at him, it's his lack of heart and his self preserving attitude in D that concerns me. A guy like Sandow misses plenty of tackles but it's not through a lack of heart. Cooper is more of a Robert Lui type, no issues with size just doesn't like to get his hands dirty

Loudstrat

Coach
Bulldogs and Raiders would probably be better opposition.

I reckon Soward, Sandow and Preston would have blown Coopers effort off the park. They have mongrel. Cooper doesnt.

Imagine Cooper in a League side defending against a runaway forward. It would be roadkill. A hitup by Jeff Robson would probably frighten him.

League is definitely a tougher sport, and if you want to throw those Union names around, think about Aku Uate's effort on Sunday as a comparison. There is no one in Union with the skills to match it with the NRL's best. At best you would find clubmen. That's about it.

And as for this Israel dag, I thought he was playing VFL?

LESStar58

Referee
I'm a fan of Mike Phillips, The Welsh halfback. Saw him put on a few deft ouches in the semi and quarter finals and he looks pretty crafty. Also the little Welsh fullback... Halfpenny I think his name was. Also the Welsh centre Jonathan Davies... quite possibly the most famous name in the principality! :D

The Welsh are the only decent team cos they actually run the bloody ball!

Latest posts