What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Brown

Spot On

Coach
Jesus Christ, for starters players can only ask for a release if there is someone else wanting to take them. Why would Uate or Stockwell be in a rush to go anywhere even if on the odd chance another club wanted them? They're guaranteed 500k and 320k+ for a few years and might have been thinking the club would be delusional enough to upgrade them like Tariq was.

Secondly maybe Brown thought he'd given them both a chance to prove their worth first. It's not like either of them have never shown anything.

It's exactly what Bennett did when he was first here. Gave the current squad at the time half a season to see what they could do then he started to move them on.

Actually I'm surprised you're not more a Brown fan to be honest. With all the overpaid under performers being tapped on the shoulder he must see something valuable in Dane.

Please do not waste your time explaining this to him. It is futile. Let him explain himself.

He believes the cap was in good shape when Brown took the job. Let him enlighten us.

The part in bold tells it's own story - the fact that Eden was reportedly a target to play fullback suggest Brown does not rate Gagai as a 1, hence the fanasy land claims the cap was well managed and Brown inherited a club with nothing to fix.

Last edited:

1qaz

Juniors
I like that Brown is blooding young players.

I don't like that Brown is constantly selecting these players week in, week out, when it is clear that they are boys coming up against seasoned veterans.

Ideally, these kids would play a handful of NRL games throughout the entire season, but spend the bulk of 2016 and 2017 developing their skills and body in NSW Cup where they belong.

Unfortunately, we've assembled a squad extremely light on experienced players and with very little depth, so Brown isn't really in a position where he has much choice other than to keep selecting these kids.

Blind Freddy can see Cogger isn't up to it physically.
He should playing Randell as stop gap.
But would do I know?
I have only been watching footy for over 35 years.
Not many of those Knights games I must admit :cool:

Noname36

First Grade
I like that Brown is blooding young players.

I don't like that Brown is constantly selecting these players week in, week out, when it is clear that they are boys coming up against seasoned veterans.

Ideally, these kids would play a handful of NRL games throughout the entire season, but spend the bulk of 2016 and 2017 developing their skills and body in NSW Cup where they belong.

Unfortunately, we've assembled a squad extremely light on experienced players and with very little depth, so Brown isn't really in a position where he has much choice other than to keep selecting these kids.

Again though who is he supposed to pick?

Should he have held onto the likes of Houston and Fa'alogo? Because we were doing so well with them here last season eating up our cap.

The problem is summed up in your last line - and that isn't something Brown was responsible for. It goes back to his two predesessors (+ Hagan) who thought a good policy would be to pack the side with blokes on the brink of retirement and use whatever was left to throw cash at under performers or rookies that hadn't proved their worth.

Spot On

Coach
But would do I know?

The same was said about Mitchell Moses when he came into grade. Although it was fact (he wasn't physically ready), I'm betting the Tigers are glad they persisted now. And they will be for years to come. That was their plan and they didn't change it because of the opinions of blokes who "don't follow the team" but have watched footy for over 35 years and know everything.:crazy::crazy:

1qaz

Juniors
Find me the report that Eden was coming to play fullback for the Knights?
It was The Showstopper claiming Eden was a classy and pure fullback :lol:
The Showstopper is awfully quiet after Thursday night :lol:

Spot On

Coach
Find me the report that Eden was coming to play fullback for the Knights?
It was The Showstopper claiming Eden was a classy and pure fullback :lol:
The Showstopper is awfully quiet after Thursday night :lol:

Find me the info that shows the cap was in excellent shape when Nathan Brown took the gig.:lol:

1qaz

Juniors
Find me the info that shows the cap was in excellent shape when Nathan Brown took the gig.:lol:

You're an idiot.
Read what I wrote.
When did I say the cap was in an excellent shape.
I said it was a cop out.

Brown has been a massive fail on and off the field.
He complains how the Knights salary cap is in a mess.
That's a cop out.
If he wants to move players on he can.
Tell them they don't have a future here and drop them to NSW cup.
The players will eventually ask for a release.

Noname36

First Grade
But would do I know?

Apparently not much.

Sure move Randall to 5/8. Then what about hooker?

Do you propose me make Levi play 80 before he's ready or bring in a rookie hooker that isn't ready either in a much more physically demanding position than 5/8 anyway?

Burwood

Bench
Again though who is he supposed to pick?

Should he have held onto the likes of Houston and Fa'alogo? Because we were doing so well with them here last season eating up our cap.

The problem is summed up in your last line - and that isn't something Brown was responsible for. It goes back to his two predesessors (+ Hagan) who thought a good policy would be to pack the side with blokes on the brink of retirement and use whatever was left to throw cash at under performers or rookies that hadn't proved their worth.

And that was the point of my entire post. :?

My 'criticism' of Brown is something that is totally beyond his control- he is playing these young kids every week because he has to. I'm sure he'd love to have a squad like Brisbane or Melbourne and be able to give these players a taste of first grade without it being detrimental to their overall development.

But would do I know?

Randell goes to 5/8th, Levi is then forced to play the entire game every week at hooker. Cogger is spared, but Levi is now the guy copping the punishment.

All that does is move the problem on to another young player.

EDIT: Read my mind, Noname36

Noname36

First Grade
And that was the point of my entire post. :?

My 'criticism' of Brown is something that is totally beyond his control- he is playing these young kids every week because he has to. I'm sure he'd love to have a squad like Brisbane or Melbourne and be able to give these players a taste of first grade without it being detrimental to their overall development.

Randell goes to 5/8th, Levi is then forced to play the entire game every week at hooker. Cogger is spared, but Levi is now the guy copping the punishment.

EDIT: Read my mind, Noname36

I was more agreeing with you mate and questioning how anyone thinks there are magically all these additional and more ready player that Brown has access to but isn't using.

I can see how it might not have read that way though.

And yep - completely agree. Levi's development shouldn't be any less important than Cogger's.

With all rookies that have come in this year I think people forget just how young and inexperienced Levi still is too. Brown of all people would know that hooker is the most physically demanding position on the field and Levi will be utterly destroyed if we force him to play 80 at the moment.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
You're an idiot.
Read what I wrote.
When did I say the cap was in an excellent shape.
I said it was a cop out.

So answer the question,

Was the Newcastle salary cap in good shape when Nathan brown took the job?

Yes/No.

Provide a simple yes or no as your answer please.

If Gagai could avoid defenders like you avoid simple questions and answers, he'd be worth about half of his overpriced contact. ;-)

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Can only piss with the dick you got.

Brown has inherited the worst roster in the NRL (by a long way), and then has incurred a huge injury toll.

Brown has inherited a huge cap mess, and doesn't have the resources other clubs do to get out of that mess.

Other clubs can and do move players on with no hit to their roster, as they can shuffle TPAs around to account for the cap hit. We can't do that.

1qaz

Juniors

Why does Levi need to play 80?
If Brown was hellbent on giving Cogger some games in first grade, he could come off the bench for 10 mins to rest Levi.
If not, Bahana could come off the bench and fill in for Levi for 10 mins.

But what would I know right guys?

I reckon we can start to make a move forward in 2017 with the players off contract, leaving and with Uate and possibly Gagai gone. I'd like to see Hodko added to that but it won't happen.
We need an experienced player to replace Smith.
We can't have done anything really different this year. Nobody stood in Uate's way and it was his decision to stay (according to hos manager).
I'm hoping we don;t destroy some of the young guys or other clubs see they will perform in a more experienced side and snap them up.

Spot On

Coach
There's still a bit off fat to be chopped off yet. Will be interesting to see what the side looks like and how it performs in 2018. Then we can start to be critical of the club and Brown's plan.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd happily swap you Jason Taylor for Nathan Brown.

I'll throw in David Kidwell as defence coach

macavity

Referee
I reckon we can start to make a move forward in 2017 with the players off contract, leaving and with Uate and possibly Gagai gone. I'd like to see Hodko added to that but it won't happen.
We need an experienced player to replace Smith.
We can't have done anything really different this year. Nobody stood in Uate's way and it was his decision to stay (according to hos manager).
I'm hoping we don;t destroy some of the young guys or other clubs see they will perform in a more experienced side and snap them up.

I think we all agree Gagai & Hodko aren't providing value for money.

But at the end of the day, to turf them we would have to be replacing them with better players.

We aren't getting better players.

Burwood

Bench
Why does Levi need to play 80?
If Brown was hellbent on giving Cogger some games in first grade, he could come off the bench for 10 mins to rest Levi.
If not, Bahana could come off the bench and fill in for Levi for 10 mins.

Levi would need to play 80 minutes because, beside Randell, we don't have anyone else capable enough to play hooker. Bhana is not the answer.

Cogger's development as a future half is sure to flourish with 10 minutes game time each week. Oh, and that game time would be spent playing out of position. Even if it were to happen that way, Levi playing 70 minutes is still a huge step up from the minutes he averages now.

But what would I know right guys?

With each post you make, it's becoming more and more apparent.