What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

OldPanther

Coach
Winning is the most important stat. Although until he wins us a grand final he's not winning enough.

The problem with playing to set up our x-factor players is we keep getting rid of them. It's amazing that DWZ was supposedly on big money. Yet his loss hasnt allowed us to sign anyone. We still need to move on Blake just to sign a guy we let go 12 months ago.

I love Peachey. But it's a very bad deal for us. Doesnt make sense offloading guys on overs to replace them with former players on even bigger money.

Well he has Naden to kick to now so that's nice.

age.s

First Grade
"It's all about the w/l" is the kind of argument you make when you're at the summit of the table, not mired in the bottom 4 and 0-1 down in a 3 game series.

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
We always get wrestled out of our minds when we get into the opposition 20 and we never get a penalty unless its the second tackle or earlier in the tackle count. I remember when we played Melbourne we had the ball near their ten and the play the ball was slowed down so much that when the ball went one pass left from dummy half to Cleary 15 metres out from the line, Curtis Scott wrapped him up simultaneously when the ball got to him. That's the sort of shit we've been dealing with this season. Opposition defenders wrestling and also using their supersonic speed to shut down our attack.

And if we get a penalty that wasn't early in the tackle count, it will be on the stroke of half time and be intentional from the defence. Until referees get their shit together, or Cleary learns how to scorpion kick Kenny's pass from dummy half over the rushing defence and score a front flip Ben Barba-esque try just before the dead ball line, our situation isn't going to change.

You can’t just say it’s all about winning when you’re being paid like he is, you need to produce for the team.

He’s not some bit player, he’s likely the top paid guy in the team.

mxlegend99

Referee
You can’t just say it’s all about winning when you’re being paid like he is, you need to produce for the team.

He has been the only constant in our spine the past 4 seasons and the team has been better for it.

If he can make the players around him and the team as a whole better by being in the team that must count for something.

So far he hasnt been good enough though. We need to make week 3 of finals and then progress to winning a grand final. If we can't do that with him he's not worth half of what we're paying him. If we do... well results are the most important stat anyone cares about.

He has been the only constant in our spine the past 4 seasons and the team has been better for it.

If he can make the players around him and the team as a whole better by being in the team that must count for something.

So far he hasnt been good enough though. We need to make week 3 of finals and then progress to winning a grand final. If we can't do that with him he's not worth half of what we're paying him. If we do... well results are the most important stat anyone cares about.

The problem is he hasn’t improved his game. His effort is great, his goal kicking is great, but they’ve always been great. His personal game hasn’t developed, and when you combine that with his pay packet that’s a problem.

We really need to see his game go to another level next year.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Can anyone point me in the direction of a workplace where I'm the highest paid person but only have to do 50% of my responsibilities? I'm keen to apply!

Last edited:

betcats

Referee

He's talking to the media im sure he'd prefer to saying nothing to them. He has acknowledged publicly that his form hasn't been great this season more than once.

I was one of the loudest voices last season arguing against signing Nathan Cleary to a big contract last season, nothing being said about him is news to me. I said multiple times wed be better off signing someone like Brooks for whatever he is on than giving Nathan a mil. That being said im not going to hold it against Nathan, its feels some have taken it personally and are looking for any reason to be critical, but that's just my opinion.

Fangs

Coach
They are replacing the water mains and relaying the road on my street. Its deadest 5 guys watching one guy dig a trench all day. I think they take turns and work one day a week.

Nathan would be the guy holding a shovel the whole time itching to dig but would always get pushed out of the way because someone else wanted a turn.

No big deal. He was never much of a digger anyway. More of an organiser.

Fangs

Coach
Can anyone point me in the direction of a workplace where I'm the highest paid person but only have to do 50% of my responsibilities? I'm keen to apply!

Can you imagine Gus saying that in the contract signing?

'We know what you are capable of. You'll never set up many tries or create points. Most people don't get that. How does a million a year sound to you?'

mxlegend99

Referee
You mean like 90% of halves who can't tackle? Or the $800k+ front rowers who barely play half a game?

Football contracts make f**k all sense across the board.