What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Nah, it’s a stretch.

Fair enough then. That is your opinion.

You are probably one of our fans that is content being a solid team who is in and around the top 8 but doesn't geniunely compete for a title.

I want to a premiership winning team.

To achieve that we need our highest paid player who plays halfback to start playing eyes up footy. Making the players around him better through communication that is clear and authoritative. See short side opportunities when they present by demanding the ball when he sees a team short on numbers. Attack the line with intent to create opportunties which involves mixing up his passing game so it isn't so obvious. Have the ability to throw a cut out pass. Not to hesitate when he gets close to the line and then eventually just succumbing to the tackle.

betcats

Referee
Fair enough then. That is your opinion.

You are probably one of our fans that is content being a solid team who is in and around the top 8 but doesn't geniunely compete for a title.

I want to a premiership winning team.

To achieve that we need our highest paid player who plays halfback to start playing eyes up footy. Making the players around him better through communication that is clear and authoritative. See short side opportunities when they present by demanding the ball when he sees a team short on numbers. Attack the line with intent to create opportunties which involves mixing up his passing game so it isn't so obvious. Have the ability to throw a cut out pass. Not to hesitate when he gets close to the line and then eventually just succumbing to the tackle.

How would you know what im content with? You want to win more than me? lol thats horseshit mate leave it out.

When a guy is getting bagged for harmless comments to the media its getting silly IMO. I think his issues are being exaggerated by quite a bit now, you've taken his worst performance for the year and are discussing him like that's his standard performance.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
How would you know what im content with? thats horseshit mate.

When a guy is getting bagged for harmless comments to the media its getting silly IMO. I think his issues are being exaggerated by quite a bit now, you've taken his worst performance for the year and are discussing him like that's his standard performance.

It comes down to accountability. We need to expect more from our organisation from top to bottom. Dave O'Neill all the way down. Our fans don't demand excellence enough.

Cleary is an adult not a kid. He is paid top dollar. He should be accountable for his performances. Not protected after 4 years of NRL. Him coming out and saying I am not here to create tries is ridiculous.

betcats

Referee
It comes down to accountability. We need to expect more from our organisation from top to bottom. Dave O'Neill all the way down. Our fans don't demand excellence enough.

Cleary is an adult not a kid. He is paid top dollar. He should be accountable for his performances. Not protected after 4 years of NRL. Him coming out and saying I am not here to create tries is ridiculous.

Where did he say that?

What he actually said is harmless:

"I don't think I've ever been a halfback that's put on a heap of try assists or line break assists, even in my younger ages," Cleary says....... If you think there is something wrong with that statement you must not of ever watched him play, seriously. But lets not let the truth get in the way...

Not accountable? this is getting ridiculous IMO.

Last edited:

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Where did he say that?

"I don't think I've ever been a halfback that's put on a heap of try assists or line break assists, even in my younger ages," Cleary says If you think there is something wrong with that statement you must not of ever watched him play, seriously.

I have been watching him play since he was 15 and I expected that part of his game to eventually develop but I have seen no signs of it so far in his 4th season of NRL.

Fans are quick to hammer the likes of Katoa who would be close to the minimum NRL salary but we have a halfback who is our highest paid player get protected by fans even though he isn't doing a lot of what he is meant to as a halfback.

Cleary needs to be judged like every other person in the organisation for his performances now. Not what he may or may not do at 25 or 30.

It is not his fault the club is paying him so much but with that salary comes accountability. He is an adult now not a kid. He should be assessed on his performances the exact same way we do with Katoa, Maloney, RCG, Mansour etc.

If we are going to win a premiership which is the ultimate goal of the football side of the business he needs to do more as a halfback. As I said, his salary is not his fault but it hampers our ability to strengthen other positions. Therefore we need him to be an elite player. Not just a role player.

betcats

Referee
I have been watching him play since he was 15 and I expected that part of his game to eventually develop but I have seen no signs of it so far in his 4th season of NRL.

Fans are quick to hammer the likes of Katoa who would be close to the minimum NRL salary but we have a halfback who is our highest paid player get protected by fans even though he isn't doing a lot of what he is meant to as a halfback.

Cleary needs to be judged like every other person in the organisation for his performances now. Not what he may or may not do at 25 or 30.

It is not his fault the club is paying him so much but with that salary comes accountability. He is an adult now not a kid. He should be assessed on his performances the exact same way we do with Katoa, Maloney, RCG, Mansour etc.

If we are going to win a premiership which is the ultimate goal of the football side of the business he needs to do more as a halfback. As I said, his salary is not his fault but it hampers our ability to strengthen other positions. Therefore we need him to be an elite player. Not just a role player.

How am I protecting him? Because I don't misrepresent his quotes and exaggerate his negatives like you do?

I don't expect to him bring any X factor, as he has stated he doesn't have any and you cant develop it, if you have been watching him for that long you should know that.

And to cmpare him to Katoa, f**king hell.

He's talking to the media im sure he'd prefer to saying nothing to them. He has acknowledged publicly that his form hasn't been great this season more than once.

I was one of the loudest voices last season arguing against signing Nathan Cleary to a big contract last season, nothing being said about him is news to me. I said multiple times wed be better off signing someone like Brooks for whatever he is on than giving Nathan a mil. That being said im not going to hold it against Nathan, its feels some have taken it personally and are looking for any reason to be critical, but that's just my opinion.

If people were taking it personally they’d likely be making personal insults against Nathan, no one is doing that. Pretty much everyone to a man thinks he’s a good young kid with a great attitude.

I think people are just frustrated that such a highly paid player is not producing, or in fact has ever produced much in attack.

GongPanther

Referee
I remember the back page of the Daily mirror in the 80's when I read in big letters, "PENRITH WIZZ KID SCORES 5 TRIES ON DEBUT".

It was Greg Alexander's 1st trial match for the Panthers at St Marys. From that day onwards since his 1st grade debut at age 19, you always expected some sort of magic from Brandy.

Now I know it isn't fair to make comparisons, but like Daz, I do expect some more involvement in broken play and setting up plays from Cleary (remember those times last year when we were coming from behind at 14-0?) to show the world that he is worth the $1 mill a season. If it only comes to a 1 GF win/appearance during his stint at the club for 5 years, I'd feel like I've had a roast dinner, but only 1/2 a plate of it.

Or maybe it a matter of having a little patience.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
How am I protecting him? Because I don't misrepresent his quotes and exaggerate his negatives like you do?

I don't expect to him bring any X factor, as he has stated he doesn't have any and you cant develop it, if you have been watching him for that long you should know that.

Are you happy with our highest paid player not having that in his game though? Cleary has the ability to be a very decent NRL player, I just don't think he will be an elite halfback.

I am not comparing him as a player to Katoa. I am saying he should be accountable like Katoa is to the fan base. Like they all should be. It is just frustrating seeing comments from people (not you) saying "Cleary will come good in a few years". In a few years? Why don't we want it now?

Where did he say that?

"I don't think I've ever been a halfback that's put on a heap of try assists or line break assists, even in my younger ages," Cleary says....... If you think there is something wrong with that statement you must not of ever watched him play, seriously. But lets not let the truth get in the way...

What he did say is very concerning. We’ve signed up a guy to a massive long term contract who can’t create tries or line breaks. That’s literally the no.1 job of a half, particularly a highly paid half.

As I’ve said before, he’s never going to be an attacking half, you either have it or you don’t.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
As I’ve said before, he’s never going to be an attacking half, you either have it or you don’t.

Which doesn't mean he can't play a role in this team. He is the sort of player who is good to have around a team due to his work ethic.

However it is going to be really hard to find the recruit the elite talent to go with him which will cause a problem long term. We need to hope we develop quality spine players around and strike for a premiership early before they become too expensive to retain. Much like Manly did with rookie halves in DCE and Foran.

Daz didn’t compare his abilities to Katoa, he compared the criticism.

Ie. Katoa was held to a high standard even though he’s a low paid player.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I remember the back page of the Daily mirror in the 80's when I read in big letters, "PENRITH WIZZ KID SCORES 5 TRIES ON DEBUT".

It was Greg Alexander's 1st trial match for the Panthers at St Marys. From that day onwards since his 1st grade debut at age 19, you always expected some sort of magic from Brandy.

Now I know it isn't fair to make comparisons, but like Daz, I do expect some more involvement in broken play and setting up plays from Cleary (remember those times last year when we were coming from behind at 14-0?) to show the world that he is worth the $1 mill a season. If it only comes to a 1 GF win/appearance during his stint at the club for 5 years, I'd feel like I've had a roast dinner, but only 1/2 a plate of it.

Or maybe it a matter of having a little patience.

Unfortunately I am too young so I missed most of Brandy's career including his early years but it does sound like he was a brilliant attacking half from a young age and the sort of player who was born to play halfback.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Personally im willing to give the 21 year old state of origin series winning 7 who's never missed the finals and is the best defender in his position a bit more time but hey thats just me.
Also tries harder than anyone else in the sport and is a gun goal kicker.
Temperament is also an extremely underrated quality and his is great

betcats

Referee
That is exactly what I was trying to say! Thanks mate.

Clearys doing his job a lot better than Katoa ever was. There is no comparison, there is absolutely no reason Cleary should be criticised as much as Katoa was. And Nathan IS being heavily criticised, by Penrith fans, nsw fans and the media. He is getting flogged from pillar to post. The idea he is being protected is silly, who is actually protecting him?