What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Cleary

kinghippo

Juniors
There seems to be a bit more second phase play happening for us lately. It will help Nathan If He can pick the right options.
If Egan continues improving his running game I think Cleary will grab a couple of pies for himself.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not to drag up old arguments but please note some of clearys long passing on Friday, there were numerous cut out balls.

They were good to see but Dragons were there for the taking... Backing it up against a Raiders team ave 14.5 a game that has won 5 from their last 6 is now the challenge

Fangs

Coach
Not to drag up old arguments but please note some of clearys long passing on Friday, there were numerous cut out balls.

It's the bare minimum required from a first grade halfback. Let's see him repeat it against the Raiders.

The Realist

Juniors

They weren't quick and crisp bullet passes though. I remember one cut out pass in particular that had the ball going end over end and was too slow to the centre. If it had been a bullet pass we'd have scored or gotten a lot closer.

franklin2323

Immortal
They weren't quick and crisp bullet passes though. I remember one cut out pass in particular that had the ball going end over end and was too slow to the centre. If it had been a bullet pass we'd have scored or gotten a lot closer.

It was a lot better. The mid field grubber too but need it more regular and it can improve

mxlegend99

Referee
He will do exactly what the coach instructs him to do. He is more than capable. That much was obvious in 2016.

He was drawing in defenders and passing wide. Helping to create space outwide. Even if he doesnt throw the final pass for a linebreak or try. He is still playing his part in them.

He will do exactly what the coach instructs him to do. He is more than capable. That much was obvious in 2016.

He was drawing in defenders and passing wide. Helping to create space outwide. Even if he doesnt throw the final pass for a linebreak or try. He is still playing his part in them.

Tbh I don’t think this has ever been the main question about Nathan, he’s obviously a stand up guy with a quality attitude who’ll follow instructions. The main thing people have always wondered is if he has the game vision to play outside of a game plan, and if he should be highest paid player on a team.

mxlegend99

Referee
Well for some reason the Cleary debut thread got bumped when this one should have. Id say Cleary has exceeded pretty much every ones expectations this year. Pretty much done everything people said he couldn't do.

Such a shame his off-season has killed his Dally M chances. Losing 6 points... Ontop of missing out on being able to earn up to 6 points. Hopefully that fires him up to finish the season with man of the match performances every week.

Maybe he can settle for a CC medal instead.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Well for some reason the Cleary debut thread got bumped when this one should have. Id say Cleary has exceeded pretty much every ones expectations this year. Pretty much done everything people said he couldn't do.

Such a shame his off-season has killed his Dally M chances. Losing 6 points... Ontop of missing out on being able to earn up to 6 points. Hopefully that fires him up to finish the season with man of the match performances every week.

Maybe he can settle for a CC medal instead.

I'll admit (I don't know whether I verbalised on here or not) that Nathan would go to another level without Jimmy this year.

He's gone though far higher than I thought he would in the last 6 months. He's climbed 2 or 3 levels and dragged his teammates with him.

I think the army camp helped with fitness and hardness. (I thought that in 2019 that at times he team lacked a hard edged fitness.

I think this has changed in 2020.

mxlegend99

Referee
Nathan certainly has improved. Part of it is down to his work ethic but dont discount the fact that he is behind a very impressive forward pack. Api, Fish, Yeo etc all give Nathan extra room to weave his magic.
Api has made everyone better. Even his average game we play at a faster pace and get better service from him.

He makes our forwards jobs easier. Which helps the halves out too. Between better faster service against teams on the backfoot it allows your guys to shine.

When Edwards is in aswell he helps our outside backs shine by helping us create overlaps. The improvement in him and improvement Api has made to the side make such an enormous difference. I actually am most impressed with the Edwards improvement. I never saw that coming

Trent helped make me the main man I am: Cleary
Author
Margie McDonald

Nathan Cleary will farewell a second person vital to his emergence as a player when Panthers attack coach Trent Barrett moves to the Bulldogs next season.

Cleary is honest in his assessment of the critical parts of his game that Barrett helped piece together.

"He's helped me out so much, in instilling that confidence in me," Cleary said.

"That's the biggest thing I've learnt through Baz is laying that platform for me. I know what I need to do – I need to kick well, lead the boys around and claim that middle third of the field with the forwards.

"The forwards are listening to me… there's a good gel in the team."

The 2020 season keeps getting better for 22-year-old Cleary. He apportions some of that success to another key figure in his development, five-eighth James Maloney who left for Super League at the end of 2019.

His departure meant Cleary was ready to stand on his own two feet and take control of the Panthers.

"Me and Jimmy played some good games together but we were quite similar.

"In saying that I learnt a lot of Jimmy and how well we're going this year is a credit to him too. He taught me a lot of stuff – things I wasn't doing before he came to the club, things like game management.

"It's really moulded my game."

Cleary now has another couple of months with Barrett before he says goodbye to him too, although the pair will most likely work together with the NSW Origin team in November.

"I really like working with Baz as I do all the coaching staff at the moment – it's a really good mix," Cleary said.

"It will be a massive loss but he's really laid the platform now and given a lot of players confidence in their attack.

"In the end you've got to chase your dreams and there's only 16 head coaching jobs out there so no-one is holding it against him. Everyone is very happy for him.

"The good thing is that we didn’t really have to speak about it. We saw that he'd signed the deal – he told us about it – and then we were straight into preparations for the next week.

"We've got a really cool thing going on at the moment where we just block any outside noise.

"Baz is chief in that. He comes in, shows up every day to get us all better."

And the mix is working. Penrith is strutting its stuff on top of the NRL ladder.

It was a far different picture this time last year. The Panthers had endured a six-week run of losses to be 5-8 at the round 13 mark before finishing 10th.

"I was talking to 'Sauce' (Josh Mansour) last week that this is the first time for me in first grade that I've been on the top," Cleary said.

"I don't think it changes things too much – our goal is to improve our teamwork each week and I think that's the reason we are leading."

Another good challenge comes this Saturday night at Panthers Stadium when the Raiders arrive.

"It's always a battle against Canberra – they are always pretty close games," Cleary said.

"NRL wins don’t come lightly. They were hard to come by for us last year so we'll enjoy it while we can – this is a crazy feeling but it’s back to work when we have to be."
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/08/04/trent-helped-make-me-the-main-man-i-am-cleary/

globalpanther

Juniors
Are you happy with our highest paid player not having that in his game though? Cleary has the ability to be a very decent NRL player, I just don't think he will be an elite halfback.

I am not comparing him as a player to Katoa. I am saying he should be accountable like Katoa is to the fan base. Like they all should be. It is just frustrating seeing comments from people (not you) saying "Cleary will come good in a few years". In a few years? Why don't we want it now?
Instead of admitting he was wrong he goes hiding

Latest posts