What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nathan Merritt

GongPanther

Referee
Merritt should never have been picked...that was a media selection.

Other troubles are (that Qld always have then laughing) that they changed the squad from the last few years.

Fulton still being a selector...this imposter really needs to be tapped on the shoulder.

The media having too much input in who should be selected and been taken notice of.

Big Mal would tell the local paper in Qld to take a hike if they were to dictate who would be getting picked.

And Daley was out coached...the side at times looked like a left foot didn't know what the right foot was doing.

There were some great things out there last night by the Qld team which involved the setting up in defense and attack a few plays before they were implementing the killer blow.

In saying that,N.S.W. needs the inspirational Tim Grant back as well as James Tamou,Stewart and Hayne if they have a chance of just even competing with this outstanding Qld side.

Last edited:

Joker's Wild

Coach
Daley's plan was for Merritt to rush in, and Merritt was left with no choice but to rush in on those occasions because there was a three man overlap. Seeing as it was Daley's plan there should have been cover defence behind the line to stop any overlaps occurring.

If Merritt was not marking GI he would be hanging out in 15 meters of no mans land while Morris is left covering three players.

eOu6vrF.png

Look how much space there is, the NSW team simply failed to slide over
Its not as simple as blame the winger cause the try was scored there when the inside men fail to number up

And that Thurston bomb with 11 men on the field was an absolutely perfect kick to the best player in the game. NOT ONE SINGLE WINGER in the game would overpower Greg Inglis to get that ball or stop him from scoring it when he is already on the line. Maybe if there were two or three defenders there, but Merritt was left on his own defending the line from the greatest try scorer in Origin history
Sorry mate but either you cant count or your eyes are painted on

The numbers are there and Merritt made a huge mistake by coming in, repeatedly.

LOL @ the Burrow banners after the Origin 1 side was selected

"NSWRL doesn't like us we don't care" - Obviously you do or you wouldn't of written it on a friggin bed sheet.

and

"Dopey Daley has no Merritt"
LOL

Walt Flanigan

Referee
If he actually managed to do anything good then he might be spared but there was nothing. Nothing but fail.

Hopefully this is the last we here of Merritt and State of Origin.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I was never serious about Wighton getting a shot but he would have been 10 times better. At least he can tackle and contest a highball.

Card Shark

Immortal
I hope Ferguson was watching ....he has a lot to answer for the selfish pick.

Merritt was terrible but he should never have been there in the first place.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

I think watching that would have been a real kick in the guts for Fergo. Hopefully it helps him pull his head in.

I'll always remember the time when I saw Merritt at a restaurant last year and that fkn smug smile he had on his face when he implied that Souths would cruise through the finals to the shop owner. Glad he's got his just desserts couldn't have happened to a more deserving player

Raider_69

Post Whore

The game has a lot to answer for. Standing blokes down before they've had their day in court. Ferguson has not entered a plea, so in the eyes of the law, and thus should be in the eyes of the NRL, no guilty and free to play until such time where he is found guilty of a crime.

That aside, Merritt was never the answer if Fergo was stood down. Uate, Tafua, Wighton, hell even some one game numpties like McManus or Wolfman who are both in reasonable form, would have been better choices.

This is on the game's absurd rule of casting guilt before the courts, and the selectors for not seeing what the rest of us could

taxidriver

Coach
The game has a lot to answer for. Standing blokes down before they've had their day in court. Ferguson has not entered a plea, so in the eyes of the law, and thus should be in the eyes of the NRL, no guilty and free to play until such time where he is found guilty of a crime.

That aside, Merritt was never the answer if Fergo was stood down. Uate, Tafua, Wighton, hell even some one game numpties like McManus or Wolfman who are both in reasonable form, would have been better choices.

This is on the game's absurd rule of casting guilt before the courts, and the selectors for not seeing what the rest of us could

unless youre a queenslander and you smack a woman in the face

Packy

Bench
For once I agree with lol souffs fans. We saw what happened in Origin 1 when Morris was left to mark GI one on one, simple hand off and offload to Boyd who scored. Daley obviously came in with the plan to squeeze in onto GI and not give him room

This was 1 occurance. Teh rest of the game and most of last year as well he kept him dead quiet.

Helmet Man

Juniors
And i agree. Farah was our only attacking weapon with Luke Lewis and Greg Bird sparking the team. And then Laurie f****** Daley benches Farah?? Should have replaced Pearce with Reynolds.

age.s

First Grade
Even if you take the whole "gameplan" excuse for Merritt's defense at face value, the fact remains that his size is an enormous problem when trying to defend against Inglis and Boyd, under the high ball particularly. Inglis barely had to jump to get a good foot closer to the ball than Merritt for his try. Points being the likely result for a bomb on Merritt's wing is complete suicide. He should never be picked again and should never have been picked in the first place.

The media and that f**kstick Mundine hyped a good bloke but a hopelessly average player into a position he never should have been considered for. Even taking injuries/suspensions into account I'd have Uate, Tafua, Wighton, R Robinson, McManus or Williams (probably in that order) before him.

Also... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmDtx5dKko0

Shorty

Staff member
I feel sorry for him, he was clearly out of his depth and though he did rush in... He shouldn't be the scapegoat.
I've seen someone blaming him for the bulk of Queenslands trys....what they fail to mention is that NSW had appalling sliding defence.

Alsmug

Juniors
I reckon ferguson would e laughing as hes that type, he was seen with a smug grin on his face after he as charged with sexual assault he is a self righteous , clueless prick, the most selfish little terd to have ever put a sky blue jersey, we needed him last night but he couldn't stay tight in the mind just for 2 weeks

Latest posts