What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Natural men scolded into timidity

Raider_69

Post Whore
Too bad if all of the kid's friends played AFL and he desperately wanted to join them.

Most amount of sense you've made thus far!
You're 100% right, it is too bad. :)

He'll make new, more stable and much smarter friends in his league team, which will lead to my son being a properly adjusted, intellegent man and not some 2 bit crack head licking the glory holes at the SCG :)

Raider_69

Post Whore
You secretly want your kid to do ballet.

Go on, admit it

If i have a daughter Ballet is a perfectly acceptable past time, i think my current partner would actually love that. So it works for me.
In relation to potential sons... better ballet then AFL... at least he'll meet the hot flexible girls in ballet

Kiki

First Grade
Makes you sound like trash is what it does.

EDIT: Or perhaps you are seeking attention from all the "League only" males in the forum.

OMG YOU ARE SO RIGHT! my whole life is centered around gaining attention from anonymous men on an internet forum. sh*t you are perceptive Scorpio.

oh man this thread has had me in stitches reading through it. too good :lol:

who knew so many of you were such laissez-faire parents! thanks for the lectures guys.

my parents and extended family are all super laid back, and not Hitler-esque (fairly sure i'm not a devotee of facism either).

but there has never been any other code but league. not to watch or to play. ever. all my cousins, second cousins and third cousins play league/have played league except one who got sucked into AFL when living in Darwin.

as adamkungul said, i would like to raise my kids to love league as much as i do and hopefully if they want to play sport they would do that (the girls too). i played netball growing up and was a dancer from age 4 to 18 so i would love my kids to do either of those things too.

also, they are my imaginary children and i can do what i want with them. hah!

Kiki and me might get it on. Little tribe of Dragons fans. Whats wrong with that.

lets do it!! *puts on Marvin Gaye*

sass

Juniors
bahhaha I love that this is now the parenting thread. I hope miranda devine is pleased! she is very pro-family.

for whoever said it, I would disown my child for playing AFL but I would quite like a gay son if possible. they never leave you! a league-playing gay son would be ideal. feel free to start working on that, god.

meanwhile as for the article - she's right about one thing: league DOESN'T encourage violence as much as it encourages people to control their natural aggression. people who can't control their aggression simply don't last in league, not anymore. the days of tommy raudonikis, much as he would like to bring them back, are looong gone.

in fact, it baffles me that a player like gallen is still on the field. as someone who constantly toes the line of league rules he is an anomaly. most other players that manage to stay in first grade do it because they're good at league AND good at not f**king up when it comes to the rules.

the issue of whether men and women are 'hardwired' to act certain ways ... well I don't think we'll ever know the answer. but considering that most men can manage to get through the day without dragging women around by the hair, I'm gonna guess that men do have at least some control over their actions, and aren't completely wired to act the way they did in caveman days.

same for women. there's a reason chastity belts were invented: and it's not cause women are hardwired to not wanna have casual sex. if we were biologically engineered to be married once and shag only that person ... we wouldn't have ever needed em.

I can't believe I agreed with one of her columns. I feel all weird.

Kiki

First Grade
yes gay sons are the best kind of sons coz they never leave their mamas.

oh ronny im not gonna force them to play league but if they came to me and said mum i wanna play AFL i would put my foot down. but no son of mine would ever want to play AFL anyway.

/bitch mother

dannyboy

Juniors
tbh the worse parents are the ones that dont let their son play league because its apparently dangerous. mongs.

Interesting that many people think AFL to be a safer sport than league but my son had more injuries in one season of AFL that kept him out than he did in 5 years of league.

I do think that a weight-age measure should be introduced in junior league to stop that 120kg islander 11 year old squashing the 40 kg whitey though.

adamkungl

Immortal
Interesting that many people think AFL to be a safer sport than league but my son had more injuries in one season of AFL that kept him out than he did in 5 years of league.

I do think that a weight-age measure should be introduced in junior league to stop that 120kg islander 11 year old squashing the 40 kg whitey though.

yeah, this isnt the thread for kids league safety/weight restrictions discussion, its been done to death, HOWEVER i will say this.

I don't know a single kid under the age of 13 who has been seriously injured playing League. Kids simply lack the size and strength to break each other. The second they hit puberty the broken bones and concussions start coming. For young kids though, League is as safe a sport as any, if not moreso.

Kiki

First Grade
yeh it is. when we were in Orange we found out some figures about the safety of league in comparison to other sports collated by the AIS (i think?? i may have been a bit drunk from wine tasting) and compared to even benign looking things like athletics and netball, junior league is super safe.

it seems the worst injuries we see in the NRL these days are from freak accidents like Ciraldos leg break. due to the stringent rules on head high tackles, spear tackles and what not its definitely a safer game than it used to be.

No reason ... bizarre.

Anyway, I say that because I can't agree with a parent not allowing their kids to play a sport they want to play because they don't like it.

I could understand if it was a safety issue - not wanting their kid to play a sport because they deemed it dangerous or whatever - but in this case it would merely be Kiki refusing to let her kid play, say, AFL because she prefers league.

Too bad if all of the kid's friends played AFL and he desperately wanted to join them.

Well, you didn't call it bizarre, you called it disgraceful, which is a tad different.

As for all her kid's friend's playing it, I'm pretty sure she lives north of the Murray so the chances are very, very slim.

Although, there might be an unco school nearby.

Kiki

First Grade
gotta say i'm very touched you are all so concerned with my yet-to-be-born childrens welfare.

Flapper

First Grade
gotta say i'm very touched you are all so concerned with my yet-to-be-born childrens welfare.

Bah, don't listen to these folk. As if half the parents in the country don't do this. Mum and dad would never have let me play AFL in a million years. If your unborn possible-boy they want to play AFL, when he's old enough to not have to rely being driven there and not have the parents bored sh*tless for 3 hours a week, then he can play it.

Kiki

First Grade
Bah, don't listen to these folk. As if half the parents in the country don't do this. Mum and dad would never have let me play AFL in a million years. If your unborn possible-boy they want to play AFL, when he's old enough to not have to rely being driven there and not have the parents bored sh*tless for 3 hours a week, then he can play it.

hahahaha thanks champ but dont worry, im not listenin to them ;-)

Big Time

Juniors

Did your son ever get involved in a melee.

I was only a little lad. I enjoyed playing the bigger lads. Advantageous when you get older in regards to learning to tackle. Too this day I prefer tackling a big whopper running straight at me then some little prick who steps around you. There is enough rules in place in regards to how you tackle in junior league to protect the little fellas, no shoulder barges, no flops etc etc.

Latest posts