What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

Fire

First Grade
Not sure if dunniesgirl is trolling or serious, if serious, what a goose.

Seems like a good appointment, and an astute man.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Saw a bit on Fox Sports I thought he spoke well and gave the right answers. Smart move by the ARLC.

I hope the gutter journos from the telegraph don't scare him off. It was painfully obvious they were fishing for controversy with their repeated questions. Bloody trolls!

The morons already criticising the decision and that knob Slothfield couldnt help himself.

"Oh he doesnt know who our Australian captain" "He's never been to a game" "WAH WAH BLOODY WAH".

The idea was to get someone with a lot of business knowledge not necessarily any sort of Rugby League background.

He did seem excited about watching State Of Origin.

aqua_duck

Coach
I'm not going to prejudge the bloke before he even starts but honestly I would've preferred someone with either a knowledge and understanding of our product or someone with experience in sports administration. Sure he's got a wealth of corporate experience but surely that would've been a prerequisite anyway?
To me it is a little concerning that his knowledge of our product is effectively zero

Tommy Smith

Referee
The man is obviously corporate to the bone, and oozes professionalism. Such a shame many in the room couldn't match him in that regard and we may have got some more insight into his background should they have asked more pertinent questions.

It doesn't bother me the ties with Union in his background. That game poses no significant threat to our game in this country so I do not see it being an issue.

It is obviously early days for him, but he presented very well in that press conference and gives reason to be optimistic about his tenure. His international background appeals to me greatly, as he may be able to understand just how important his role will be in developing the international game.
100% spot on.

The Telegraph have already begun their gutter journalism against the man. Just heard Rothfield on Foxsports say, "has he been in a queue at the footy for a beer? People wanna know these things...".

What a dumb as dogshit gutter journalist. Suggesting that people need to relate to a CEO is absurd. These clowns need to be washed from the game like a skidmark.

A great appointment. Smith has an excellent resume and was very impressive in his interview. Goodluck to him.

Tommy Smith

Referee
I'm not going to prejudge the bloke before he even starts but honestly I would've preferred someone with either a knowledge and understanding of our product or someone with experience in sports administration. Sure he's got a wealth of corporate experience but surely that would've been a prerequisite anyway?
To me it is a little concerning that his knowledge of our product is effectively zero
I honestly couldn't care less. He can read. He can hold meetings with knowledgeable people and be filled in on what he needs to know.

If anything i hold the opposite view that perhaps a man with a blank slate can bring new ideas to the game without inhibition from age old grudges.

Titanic

First Grade
Great appointment for mine. He'll attend one game and bloody love it and we all know that there are none more passionate than converts. As for the press sniping at his heels, he'll eat them up with commonsense and business acumen. The blokes I feel sorry for are the club CEO's who may find the boardroom has an elephant in it.

Which part of Wales is he from? Can he speak Welsh?

Not sure about this, but I assume he's not privately educated.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see.

But a Welshie now running RL and Oz, that's got to be a good thing.

Last edited:

seaeagle sam

Seems like a great appointment. Intelligent, engaging and he seems like he has a bit of toughness under there somewhere.

The fact that he is not aligned to a state, or former team, should also be a bonus.

TBH, I can't think of one current league administrator or former player who I'd be comfortable with in the role.

Bengal

Juniors
He can't be up to much if they had to wait to roll him out after the shoulder charge decision brouhaha.

Rex Terp

First Grade
I can live with it being a non-rugby league person, if the person has just an outstanding background and is a knockout case. I don't see that here. Smith us obviously a successful, intelligent guy but so are countless people in all industries, many of whom also run large businesses. In the domestic banking industry, I dont see him as someone who is very well known or a standout in any sense.

It's an odd choice, with a smell of desperation about it. Good luck to th guy, but I think it's disappointing.

I'm with you on most you say Rex, I haven't heard of him before, whereas I have heard of Dyfrig John, Emyr Jones Parry and Dr.Lyn Evans.

But how many "well connected" people out there want to work within RL? 1?

Nerd

Bench
I'm with you about not judging him until I see him in action.

Being a cleanskin can have the advantages of not carrying any baggage and having a few new ideas as well.

Latest posts