What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New-look NRL on Fox kicks off the 2012 NRL season on Fox Sports

eozsmiles

Bench
Saying that they are soft implies that they aren't trying or are scared or something. Every player in the comp would fire up at that.
Matty could have said that they are small, losing the forward battles, disjointed, under performing, and playing like sh!t.

Glad he didn't though lol

-----------------------------------

gUt

Coach
bwahaha what a f*ckin sook

He has the ego the size of BM's yet gets cut by the smallest things

If it was an ambush then he's well justified in letting the rage out. Is it ok for Johns to ask tough questions in public like he did but not ok for a player to vent about it publically? Or should Farah have done it on the show so it was more entertaining for us?

I like this show and I especially like Johns on it but if they did ambush Farah then that's not cool and Farah should be respected for holding back on air and not being too baited by it.

I believe the "tough questions" approach is justified because RL is a confrontational sport and the fans have had enough of the giggling idiocy of shows like the Footy Show. But one line of questioning from Johns pissed me off which I'll paraphrase:

MJ: So the rumours that you and Benji are at no-talkies...?
RF: Who's told you that?
MJ: Gossip [he said "footy circles"]
RF: I note that when the Tigers are winning we don't hear this stuff, only when we're losing.
MJ: That's footy mate.

No it's f**king not "footy", it's a question produced by the parasitic and predatory attitude of the RL media. This show doesn't need to stoop to New Idea/Today Tonight type sensationalism to enetertain football fans. Especially when the show prides itself on taking a no BS approach to talking about real football issues, and generally lives up to its remit.

Johns especially should know better than to try to score a point or at least raise eyebrows by brining up personal stuff based on gossip. RL fans want to see the game discussed intelligently, with passion from all panelists, no BS.

Avenger

Immortal
bwahaha what a f*ckin sook

He has the ego the size of BM's yet gets cut by the smallest things
Agree 100%. Farah looked a little immature there. Matty Johns has added greatly to the show. It used to be so robotic and repetitive in the past seasons.

Tiger-Sean

Juniors
If it was an ambush then he's well justified in letting the rage out. Is it ok for Johns to ask tough questions in public like he did but not ok for a player to vent about it publically? Or should Farah have done it on the show so it was more entertaining for us?

I like this show and I especially like Johns on it but if they did ambush Farah then that's not cool and Farah should be respected for holding back on air and not being too baited by it.

I believe the "tough questions" approach is justified because RL is a confrontational sport and the fans have had enough of the giggling idiocy of shows like the Footy Show. But one line of questioning from Johns pissed me off which I'll paraphrase:

MJ: So the rumours that you and Benji are at no-talkies...?
RF: Who's told you that?
MJ: Gossip [he said "footy circles"]
RF: I note that when the Tigers are winning we don't hear this stuff, only when we're losing.
MJ: That's footy mate.

No it's f**king not "footy", it's a question produced by the parasitic and predatory attitude of the RL media. This show doesn't need to stoop to New Idea/Today Tonight type sensationalism to enetertain football fans. Especially when the show prides itself on taking a no BS approach to talking about real football issues, and generally lives up to its remit.

Johns especially should know better than to try to score a point or at least raise eyebrows by brining up personal stuff based on gossip. RL fans want to see the game discussed intelligently, with passion from all panelists, no BS.

Well said mate

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Well handled by both, IMO. I'm glad Robbie fired up, any good captain would. Didn't have a problem with any of Johns' questions, though he took the easy way out when pressed on the Robbie-Benji issue.

First people complain that players are robots and then when they open up and express an opinion they get called whingers. You can't win around here.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
it is all part and parcel of footy. look at these forums. game thrives on it.

i thought it was great tv.

farah is thin skinned.

gUt

Coach
There's a difference tho Ronnie. Fans on a board are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Being asked irrelevant and personal questions admittedly based on gossip by a bloke who's suffered more than most from that sort of thing, live on TV, allegedly not knowing it was coming to boot, would piss anyone off.

EDIT: I can see why people would call it great TV and why media types go for this line of questioning but I personally think it's nasty and cheapens the game's image. We can't bag the likes of Weidler and the other parasites while applauding a player getting ambushed live on air - if that's what happened.

Last edited:

skeepe

Immortal
There's a difference tho Ronnie. Fans on a board are pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Being asked irrelevant and personal questions admittedly based on gossip by a bloke who's suffered more than most from that sort of thing, live on TV, allegedly not knowing it was coming to boot, would piss anyone off.

Why does he have to know in advance what questions they're going to ask? Do you just want robotic, pre-prepared answers like we always see, or do you want something real?

I thought it was fantastic television and exactly the sort of thing we need to see more of.

gUt

Coach
I agree with wanting to see tough questions being asked but there's a difference between 'you guys look soft on the field' and 'so I hear you and your mate aren't talking'. It's made up, it's gossip. It's there to generate heat, not shed light on the game or at least give us something real to argue about, like how a team is going on the field.

I mean, take a look at this shite on their site:

Farah explodes after tough interview

Wests Tigers captain Robbie Farah reacts angrily to questions he was asked by Matthew Johns on NRL on Fox, tweeting he 'was ambushed'.

"Explodes"? "Reacts angrily?" Please.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
how so? all he did was answer the questions about a club he is captain of with some passion

if hornby reacted like that after the dogs drubbing you would have said how great it was

He reacts to everything. Think back to his twitter rants after the Roosters semi a couple of years back. Gets into a slanging match.

If Hornby had been asked the hard questions after the Dogs game, it would have been fair. If he'd blown up, I'd say he needed to look at what was actually going on internally that week and not blow up at the media.

There was nothing personal in Johns questions. His ego is so massive that when the Tigers are called soft, he attacks a bloke personally.

Do you not think your boys are playing soft Vic?

nrlnrl

First Grade
I agree with wanting to see tough questions being asked but there's a difference between 'you guys look soft on the field' and 'so I hear you and your mate aren't talking'. It's made up, it's gossip. It's there to generate heat, not shed light on the game or at least give us something real to argue about, like how a team is going on the field.

I mean, take a look at this shite on their site:

"Explodes"? "Reacts angrily?" Please.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/

judging by his tweet, I'd call that angry

"Just got ambushed on NRL on Fox," Farah tweeted.

"Pretty fired up ATM to be honest and pretty pissed off. Wanted to unleash more than I did."

Latest posts