What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New NRL Logo?

What do you think of the new NRL logos?

• Total voters

Diesel

Referee
That orange NRL logo is pretty awful up but you are right in showing where the NRL is/was going. The IC really needs to take a stance here.

Big Sam

First Grade
What's wrong with the naming rights partner's name being in the NRL logo? Plenty of other competitions do the same:

barclays-premier-league-logo.jpg
100px-Stobart_Super_League_Logo_2012.png

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Do you think they will have a ARL logo and a NRL premiership ie competition different logo?
Yes, there is the existing ARLC logo, the NRL logo and the competition logo. All different brands for different purposes.
NRL logo has changed in line with Telstra branding changes over the years so we could end up with something like this if we stick with them?

7991596596_545289754b.jpg
There have been four TP logos. The original was an elongated oval shape used for I think one season. The next two are in your post below. There is a fourth.
Here's the last two Telstra ones. Going to be interesting to see what they do as previously the NRL was the governing body and had its own logo which they then adapted to add in the sponsor for the competition. ARLC can't really do that I wouldn't think unless they have ARL, NRL and sponsor on it which could look messy or they incorporate the essence of the ARL logo and just switch the ARL wording with NRL?

100px-National_Rugby_League_2001.png

nrl-logo-for-forum.png

150px-NRL_logo.svg.png

Didn't I outline your idiocy earlier in this thread?

1. As mentioned at the top, there are different logos for different purposes. The Telstra Premiership logo does not supercede the NRL logo. The NRL logo still appears in many places.

2. The Telstra Premiership logo was updated at the end of the 2011 season, and has appeared on the field at every match. How you've missed it is beyond me.

3. Orange is one of a whole range of colours in Telstra's branding. The light blue one we currently have is one of those colours.

4. If they retain the rights, they won't change the competition logo after just a season and a bit.

Perth Red

Post Whore
and like I have pointed out to you this year Telstra have dropped the blue primary branding and gone with orange primary branding, simliar to what they had back in 2005 before they rebranded to the blue, for most of their corporate look. This is due to them marketing the 4g network and they decided to use the orange for 4g and have rebranded along those lines. Take a look at their website if you don't believe me: http://www.telstra.com.au/

I can see them next year, if they are sponsors, asking for the NRL competition logo to be coloured to match their brand colours as they now stand, just as they did in 2006 when they swapped the NRL logo from orange to blue.

This is where it differs from the AFL who keep the AFL colours and add in the sponsor logo without comprimising their own branding. If you look at most of their stuff, unless it relates directly to the competition it doesn't have Toyota on it, I presume we will end up with the new ARL branding being used in the same way, difference is the NRL will be a different brand to the ARL as opposed to AFL which has the brand connection for governing body and main competition.

Timmah

Staff member
Are you blind, stupid or arrogant?

Orange is ONE of a full range of colours. Go through the whole site. Hit My Account and it's back to the blue. Go to Small Business, it's green.

If I need to be any clearer, their business letterhead remains blue: http://telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/download/document/tls854-telstra-agm-2012-speeches.pdf

Nevertheless, let me outline to you AGAIN. The Telstra Premiership logo was updated at the end of 2011 (it didn't appear on club jerseys in 2012 as it was too late for them to integrate it into jersey manufacturing). In fact, in Round 2 if I recall correctly, they actually did re-colour the new Telstra Premiership logo on the field to orange for one week.

Turns out I recall correctly:

CBYSTG-orange.jpg

In case you needed refreshing, the current, new 2011-12 logo is this:

2012NRLTelstraPremiershipLogo.png

As some background the 2006-07 change was because Telstra changed their logo, not their colours.

And as for AFL - Toyota doesn't affect the AFL competition logo because Toyota's colours are red and white, two of the AFL's three colours :lol:

seanoff

Juniors
what a shower of **** the NRL are.

FFS make a logo and stick to it. don't bow down to Telstra or 9 or anyone else.

the logo is the major representation on the brand don't f**k with it unless you absolutely have to. it's the same with the uniforms, people watching have no idea who's playing a lot of the time.

have a look at the NFL logo through 50 years

nfl-logo-shields.gif

it's not an accident it doesn't change much.

unforgiven

Bench
what a shower of **** the NRL are.

FFS make a logo and stick to it. don't bow down to Telstra or 9 or anyone else.

the logo is the major representation on the brand don't f**k with it unless you absolutely have to. it's the same with the uniforms, people watching have no idea who's playing a lot of the time.

have a look at the NFL logo through 50 years

nfl-logo-shields.gif

it's not an accident it doesn't change much.

That is not a valid comparison as the NFL does not have a naming rights sponsor for their competition, so they do not need to incorporate that into their logo.

The reason they don't have a naming rights sponsor is they are arguable the largest sporting competition in the world. They don't need to deal and make compromises with companies in the same way the NRL and ARLC do.

applesauce

Bench
That is not a valid comparison as the NFL does not have a naming rights sponsor for their competition, so they do not need to incorporate that into their logo.

The reason they don't have a naming rights sponsor is they are arguable the largest sporting competition in the world. They don't need to deal and make compromises with companies in the same way the NRL and ARLC do.

WTF are you one about. We have an NRL logo AND a "X" Premiership logo. 2 SEPARATE LOGOS.

There is not reason the NRL logo cannot be a longstanding, traditional logo that stands the test of time just like the NFL's logo. Has nothing to do with the NFL having no naming rights sponsor. The premiership logo can be f**ked around with as much as they want for all I care.

The NRL logo is staying, just in a completely different form (looks like the ACB logo). There will also be a competition logo same as what we have now.

unforgiven

Bench
Good point lol.

But the point that Seanoff was trying to make was about the logo being changed to suit Telstra, That has nothing to do with the NRL logo so I may have wrongly assumed he was refering to the competition logo.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Surely there is no need for an NRL org logo as it doesn't exist as a governing org any more? I would have thought all we need is an ARL one and a NRL premiership one for the competition? The ARL one should be enshrined, like the NFL one, and rarely changed. If we had thought it through they cold have constitutionally set up the new ARL as the Australasian RL, dropped the NRL all together and just had the ARL premiership with same logo for competition and governing body that inc Oz and NZ in the design.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
One single ARL logo should be used across all competitions and grades

Hopefully that's what we get. The new NRL logo looks like a corporate logo instead of a jersey badge. Can see hem using the ARL logo on the jersey and the NRL logo on products, etc

hutch

First Grade
Absolutely no need to change the nrl logo, especially to make it more Australia centric.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Does anyone else think they should just have one name... either the NRL or the ARL

can't be both... The fact that the ARLC runs the NRL is very confusing ...

John Grant should be the chairman of the NRL board, and the CEO runs the NRL premiership

The Australian Kangaroos brand would still report to the NRL board... as would the NSWRL and the QRL

Timmah

Staff member
the logo is changing, Telstra won't be part of the logo, should be released very soon.

The NRL logo is changing... it's different to the Premiership logo.

I.e. if Telstra maintain their naming rights, their competition logo would be the one used on jerseys.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The NRL logo is changing... it's different to the Premiership logo.

I.e. if Telstra maintain their naming rights, their competition logo would be the one used on jerseys.

no matter what happens Perth Dickhead will complain

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Does anyone else think they should just have one name... either the NRL or the ARL

can't be both... The fact that the ARLC runs the NRL is very confusing ...

John Grant should be the chairman of the NRL board, and the CEO runs the NRL premiership

The Australian Kangaroos brand would still report to the NRL board... as would the NSWRL and the QRL

It's the exact same setup as the other codes. Only AFL uses the same name for both...

ARL runs the NRL
FFA runs the A-league
ARU/SANZAR runs the Super15
Basketball Australia runs the NBL
Cricket Australia runs the BBL
etc, etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
From a branding point of view it would probably work better as the ARL premiership, except for the NZ bit of course.

Latest posts