What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New recruits for 2023

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Vlandys has a strong man persona and all that, but the rlpa are courageously upping the ante.

If they actually go on strike, just one round is going to cost the sport tens of millions of dollars.

People forget the average player, after all expenses and stuff, he’s not on big money and many of them have forever injuries of some kind.

Their family and friends make big sacrifices, volunteers and things. The league is nothing without thousands of people putting it on their shoulders.

Does the nrl want another supaleague?
Players go on strike or start delaying games etc, fans will start to get pissed at them very quickly.

Players go on strike or start delaying games etc, fans will start to get pissed at them very quickly.

Some will, others like me will blame the NRL and its greedy shortsighted management.

For the most part, I reckon us fans in general are close to players, we have a certain unbreakable bond.

Tested at times, but they are the core product.

I remember meeting JDB during his struggle, reaching out and he was very grateful for the support.

Players are our personal heroes or villains as it may be.

The NRL executive aren’t. Who cares if Vlandys is dropped. He’s got a bad addiction to promoting gambling Im afraid. The game could be more creative and personable.

One round of no play strike action would wipe out a significant chunk of the NRLs profits.

Players hold the power.

Last edited:

terrydavidson

Juniors
average player 130000dollars TRYgettings that in normal work ambos police etc v landys should fine 5000dollars per player each round for BREACH OF CONTRACT godBLESS SAINTS

Once you’re a regular league player, you’re pretty much devoting your life to the cause, your body isn’t built to sustain such high impact, you have uncertainty of employment, you’re likely to spend the rest of your life with an injury, your time in the game is very short. You have no private life, you get abused, you spend a lot of personal income on game related expenses, have to train almost every day, not enough time with family and kiddies- It’s pretty hard.

You get taxed up the rear on $130k.

Your standard factory player, the love of the game and the good souls you meet are highly motivating.

I’m not saying all golden marquees are worth the money, but the factory, he’s the trooper.

qld redvee

Juniors
Once you’re a regular league player, you’re pretty much devoting your life to the cause, your body isn’t built to sustain such high impact, you have uncertainty of employment, you’re likely to spend the rest of your life with an injury, your time in the game is very short. You have no private life, you get abused, you spend a lot of personal income on game related expenses, have to train almost every day, not enough time with family and kiddies- It’s pretty hard.

You get taxed up the rear on $130k.

Your standard factory player, the love of the game and the good souls you meet are highly motivating.

I’m not saying all golden marquees are worth the money, but the factory, he’s the trooper.
Silver
Your doing a job you love,get paid to play 80 minutes a week. Sure have to train but don't have to pay gym fees
Average job 8hrs day plus travel, quite a lot of others do shift work longer hours for probably 1/2 the minimum playing wage and the workers miss homelike with kids and wife a lot more
Don't forget after their career players are still employable people and can get forklift jobs courier drivers or anything to get dollars in . Sure they get injuries to live with the rest of their lives but so does the rest of the population players are capable of paying for their own after they retire. Don't get me wrong the players need to be looked after and the cba needs to be agreed on so the game moves on

Silver
Your doing a job you love,get paid to play 80 minutes a week. Sure have to train but don't have to pay gym fees
Average job 8hrs day plus travel, quite a lot of others do shift work longer hours for probably 1/2 the minimum playing wage and the workers miss homelike with kids and wife a lot more
Don't forget after their career players are still employable people and can get forklift jobs courier drivers or anything to get dollars in . Sure they get injuries to live with the rest of their lives but so does the rest of the population players are capable of paying for their own after they retire. Don't get me wrong the players need to be looked after and the cba needs to be agreed on so the game moves on

I see it differently, but your point was skilfully made!

It just occurred to me that as a Tigers fan, I’d welcome a couple of forfeits!!

I think both our sides will look pretty different next year. But it’s looking like you will have the better coach.

I’m still expecting Amone to do time. So you need a replacement.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Even gun squads with gun coaches are struggling.. I dont remember it being this way in decades gone by.. there was always plenty of sides in the toilet in any given year.. with absolute flog coaches... I feel like we could get by with amateurs running the club before.. but now its so professional.. its the hunger games... eat or get eaten.

The worst coaches currently.. guys like Holbrook and O'Brien looking to get axed with their sides around the Top8.. geez.. wouldnt that be a nice problem to have.

Even gun squads with gun coaches are struggling.. I dont remember it being this way in decades gone by.. there was always plenty of sides in the toilet in any given year.. with absolute flog coaches... I feel like we could get by with amateurs running the club before.. but now its so professional.. its the hunger games... eat or get eaten.

The worst coaches currently.. guys like Holbrook and O'Brien looking to get axed with their sides around the Top8.. geez.. wouldnt that be a nice problem to have.

I like my AOB, when he’s sacked from he knights, I don’t think it’s the end for him.

Very astute coach having to deal with a club of smurfs.

Just a thought about sgi old boy Nathan Brown.

I was wondering why people were interested in signing him on as recruiter then I did some research into the warriors and that answered my question.

They only bought 2 players for this season, lost one… they got the right coach and whooska!

I don’t think it’s too far a stretch to attribute much of their success to Browny and his talent as him and his r&r team, they virtually gifted Webster a top side.

All things considered, Browny and his warriors recruitment team would be very useful to any club looking for that bit extra.

They could run a consultancy.

Last edited:

Jim Dragons

Juniors
hadn‘t heard this. Hope it’s true.

I’m a big Bud supporter, and would have been so upset if Hook has let him leave. But I supported Flanno being hired and have to support his approach and give him a fair go. If the message to Bud is “we want you to stay, but you have to want to be here” then I’m ok with that. I want a team, a team willing to bleed for each other and the club, not a collection of players all out for themselves.

I want to believe Flanno can achieve this, or at least move in this direction.
I actually posted a few times before Flan was selected that I believed he would be good in pulling the Club together... get rid of this ridiculous split between Kogarah and Steelers... we are all ONE club.

I actually posted a few times before Flan was selected that I believed he would be good in pulling the Club together... get rid of this ridiculous split between Kogarah and Steelers... we are all ONE club.

Noble ambition, but the saints side will never accept unification. There’s too much history.

It’s not good nor bad, it’s just how it is.

There’s also a few solid Steelers people about with the same sense of betrayal about the JV.
I know one who left the game instead of recognising saints as an equal.

You can hold hands, better together even, but I don’t think there will never be one club.

Nothing to worry about either.

You can marry but not have to consummate!

Last edited:

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Vlandys has a strong man persona and all that, but the rlpa are courageously upping the ante.

If they actually go on strike, just one round is going to cost the sport tens of millions of dollars.

People forget the average player, after all expenses and stuff, he’s not on big money and many of them have forever injuries of some kind.

Their family and friends make big sacrifices, volunteers and things. The league is nothing without thousands of people putting it on their shoulders.

Does the nrl want another supaleague?
Mate...these players know all this before they start playing..if it wasn't for becoming footballers I suspect half of them would end up in the slammer
I keep asking who is looking after the game? Lets support them and make sure they are there next week; next year; next decade. Lets ensure the game is stronger for our kids and their kids.
As Twinkie said... the players are given an opportunity. They know what they are getting into.
Lets not sell the farm to keep one crop... I am all for the players getting their fair share... but they have an opportunity to make a bit... not a given right to earn a pension from the game. What about all the kids who try and break a leg - do we fund them too? If not why not?
The fans front the $$$s thru tickets; Sponsorship and Pay TV. You mentioned Super League. Since "the War" country football has gone to the pack... Lots of clubs have neglected their juniors and focused on getting players from elsewhere. Do we want the money the game needs to fund country RL and continue to grow the game is stripped off to fund current players.
Look at the investment that Aussie Rules make in growing the game. Our game was a level with VFL before Super league. We could be growing our game if not for Murdock.
We all turn up to support a team not any individual. We scream in defence if anyone gets too big for his boots that the game is bigger than the individual.
The players are NOT 'fighting' for an increased Salary Cap... BUT the RLPA do want to strip away the players BONUS money out of pie before the game funds things like an end of season International Schedule (where the players rake in most of the costs to run it anyway) and Insurance for Clubs who loose a player thru the SOO series etc. These are things the game would like to fund and things that Joe Average has been calling for. They are examples - there are more.
I don't see a problem with the game investing in these new costs before paying a bonus to the stakeholders (including the players).

Jim Dragons

Juniors
Some will, others like me will blame the NRL and its greedy shortsighted management.

For the most part, I reckon us fans in general are close to players, we have a certain unbreakable bond.

Tested at times, but they are the core product.

I remember meeting JDB during his struggle, reaching out and he was very grateful for the support.

Players are our personal heroes or villains as it may be.

The NRL executive aren’t. Who cares if Vlandys is dropped. He’s got a bad addiction to promoting gambling Im afraid. The game could be more creative and personable.

One round of no play strike action would wipe out a significant chunk of the NRLs profits.

Players hold the power.
So that is what you're keen to see.... the players wipe out the greedy NRL Profits?
I am afraid you are delusional if you think that the profits should go to the players... above the Salary Cap. I assume you are hoping that the RLPA would start propping up the Country RLPA once all the greedy NRL profits are lost to the game. Because they look after the 'good guys'.
I have a every simple solution to this mess. The NRL actually created the RLPA for the players to have a voice. I don't think they expected a militant union mindset - but a genuine voice from the players for success. When the RLPA could not get 'buy in' from the players to hand over their money for union subscriptions, the NRL funded the RLPA - and still do. Maybe its time the NRL told the RLPA that their greedy profits are at risk, and suggest the RLPA should counsel the players for their subscriptions from now on - not survive on a free hand out. The RLPA would be representing less than 10% of the players in no time at all.
Lets not forget that before COVID we had Todd Greenberg. Under his watch the players and the administrators of the game got all the money. When COVID hit that arse Vlandys saved the game. When the game had the blight that was "the wrestle" that arse Vlandys listened to some fans and introduced "Six Again". While we might not agreed with everything the bloke does... but he has proven to identify problems and find a solution. I honestly believe that he is a great addition for our game. He excepts responsibility for his actions and acts.
Out of curiosity what was the most positive thing that the RLPA has done for the game - apart from threaten to tear it apart to pay its clients more money. If the players strike it will take years to rebuild the game again. And it may well be without me.
Ron Cootes "Men of League" has done way more for the game than the RLPA and I would suggest that the "Men of League" should be funded instead of the RLPA to assist players post retirement. (and yes I know the "Men of League" has a new title - l just prefer the old one)

Jim Dragons

Juniors
This is some boomer regressive thinking at its finest.

First up: it is a simple fact that Vlandy's f*ked the broadcast deals. Channel Nine cried poor during their negotiations so Vlandys folded and took a smaller deal - Nine then used those exact savings to land the broadcast rights to Super Rugby, a direct competitor of the NRL. Vlandy's helped his most direct competitor!
Vlandys then negotiated a 7 year extension of the Foxtel deal during the pandemic ffs, and freely admitted that he was doing Foxtel a favour to "ensure their viability". Again, something that helped a direct competitor, the AFL, who duly sealed broadcast deals $260 million per year richer than the NRL's, despite achieving ratings equal or inferior to the NRL's. Vlandys and Abdo were absolutely roasted.

No point diving into the rest of the regressive emotive stuff in your post about players "back in my day" blah blah blah. The fact is that the RLPA are not asking for a single penny more than they are currently receiving - all outlined here and if you're inclined to read it: https://www.rlpa.com.au/faqs-of-cba-dispute/

Imo throughout the process the NRL have acted in bad faith - including making premature false pronouncements that a deal was done - and the fact that they are refusing to allow an independent mediator to step in, despite this being a standard feature of industrial relations in every conceivable field of industry, is the most telling of all. Vlandys is obviously more accustomed to dealing with (and killing) horses that don't talk back
So I assume that you want your sport run by a union... and then will blame Vlandys because he let it happen.
Yes l may be aged... but I am not too old to decide between right and wrong. In an argument there are usually two sides... and the truth is somewhere in the middle... all l really want is for the game to get stronger... and be around for your kids kids. I do love how you forgot that Vlandys saved the game during COVID when mentioning his failures.
wrt the RLPA not asking for more money - incorrect. They are arguing on most points that the game is trying to fund for things before they declare a profit and therefore reducing what they see as their slice of Bonuses. Bonuses above the Salary Cap which they are happy to agree to because otherwise the NRL could not increase the Salary Cap to the players under the old CBA.

Victoire

Juniors
So I assume that you want your sport run by a union... and then will blame Vlandys because he let it happen.
Yes l may be aged... but I am not too old to decide between right and wrong. In an argument there are usually two sides... and the truth is somewhere in the middle... all l really want is for the game to get stronger... and be around for your kids kids. I do love how you forgot that Vlandys saved the game during COVID when mentioning his failures.
hahaha Ahhh the classic myth. The superhero Vlandys - more powerful than a locomotive - single-handedly saving rugby league, the damsel in distress, during Covid. Such rare company he's in there: only standing alongside the AFL boss... and the Football Australia boss... and the boss of the English Superleague... and the bosses of every single professional sporting competition in the globe because exactly zero of them went bust during Covid. Keep reading the Telegraph, boomer, and believing everything it tells you

Jim Dragons

Juniors
hahaha Ahhh the classic myth. The superhero Vlandys - more powerful than a locomotive - single-handedly saving rugby league, the damsel in distress, during Covid. Such rare company he's in there: only standing alongside the AFL boss... and the Football Australia boss... and the boss of the English Superleague... and the bosses of every single professional sporting competition in the globe because exactly zero of them went bust during Covid. Keep reading the Telegraph, boomer, and believing everything it tells you
I am sure others here are already getting bored with our rants. But l did want to point out one thing... its a shame that you read things here with such a closed mind... You straight away pigeon hole me as not having the ability to be able to listen or read information without questioning the facts and forming my own opinion - I guess unless of course it fits your thoughts. You seem to base those thoughts on my year of birth. I read what you said and thought at first it was informed... but not with respect to what Vlandys did for the game. We were AHEAD of every other sport world wide when getting back on the field. Most sports in Australia referenced what the NRL was doing. I wonder if just maybe those other sports may have followed us? Maybe EPL was close to getting on the field at the same time - l can't quiet remember that point and don't think you are important enough for me to research it. Ohhh I must be getting old.

One thing no one has been able to come up with yet - but you're a bright guy I am sure you will.

What is one positive thing that Clint Newton and the RLPA have done to improve the game? Please don't put your eggs in the... 'got more money for the players' because I feel that is at a cost of the game being able to improve the game at it's Lower Levels which has been neglected for way too long. If its a condition... which one because most conditions are factored around the players wanting their Bonus money first (yes they do want more money); before the game meets new conditions to improve the game.

One thing that they could have done was to canvass their membership to get players to act more professionally on the footy field with respect to feigning injury - as for one it directly impacts the players that the RLPA represented (those penalised) - plus its just not a great look for the game when a Mum sees a player "concussed" while she is deciding if she will let little Johnny play the game. I know its not necessarily their charter - but it would be a positive spin on what they contribute to the game - making their clientele more professional.

Speaking of spin... Clint (RLPA) could do well to let everyone know how many calls have gone unanswered & un-responded before claiming that the RLPA just want to get the NRL back to the table. If Clint spoke to me like he presents himself in most (if not every) media interview - then he wouldn't be getting much out of me either. The RLPA mention the difference between Agreement and Consultation - maybe Clint could do with training in not being seen as a talking down at people during negotiations/discussions or indeed being seen as a bully straight off the bat.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Clint is a man that looks very smart and makes really good decisions. The players should be so happy to have a guy like Clint leading them. He always knows what's best for all parties. Was he the guy that dropped Jennifer Hawkins?

Valandy's is too busy looking into games in Vegas than the players and the game he wants to showcase. It will be good to see the teams run out with band aids over the NRL logo's in Vegas. I am so glad the NRL hate Saints because any smart business would send the most popular team in the world to a showcase event. Especially one that has won 11 premierships in a row (World sporting record) which the world knows about but the NRL like to forget about. It's good how Saints are not even in the conversation which is good. I hope they play the jet lagged sides early in the draw. They should send Melbourne, Dogs, Sharks and Eels who have all been caught cheating the cap over the years. The Storm can even show the US their 2007 and 2009 premiership success. Dogs can take their premiership when they were caught the year after. Together with the GF they won taking out the Tigers best player and the 7th tackle tries against Manly. The Sharks can show their one premiership they won in between the years they cheated and well the Eels can show their wooden spoon during their years of salary cap rorting. Poor Eels.