What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New signing Ikahihifo

giboz71

First Grade
I think Mann's performance next year will be an interesting litmus test for our recruitment and coaching. Here is a young player, who obviously has potential, will he go to the next level at the Dragons?

In the past, I have questioned our ability to:

1. Identify hidden talent
2. Develop players with potential and take them to the next level.

Since Bennett, I would struggle to name anyone we've brought in that's taken their game forward at the Dragons. Compare that to some ex dragons who have excelled at other clubs like Hastings, Bird and Cook.

Dugan and Widdop would be closest, but they were hardly astute buys. More like expensive recruits who have played according to their price tag.

If Mann turns into a star, then maybe we are heading in the right direction. If he turns into another Dylan Farrell, who had similar credentials when he joined us, then again I would question our recruitment ability and/or coaching.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

winnie the pooh

Juniors
I remember I got on here years ago, stating basically that Barrett was a good player and a good running 5/8 but with far better runners outside him (Gasnier and Cooper), was a disaster and had to be dropped. I was roundly denounced.

Then a few years later I got on during supercoach Price's second year saying he had to go, and was roundly denounced.

Now my issue is Widdop. A good player but clearly not a good main playmaker. He needs to take a back seat like he did at Melbourne with Cronk; kick, talk and feed off opportunities Benji creates.

Comparing those two incompetent fools to Widdop? You're off your head.

V

Vasilevsky

Comparing those two incompetent fools to Widdop? You're off your head.

Well I wasn't exactly comparing them to each other. Though comparing Barrett to Widdop has some merit now you bring it up. Both good or even very good players but as a main playmaker, both poor or even very poor.

As far as supercoach Price is concerned. One could argue that Steven Kearney was worse though at least he has had some success outside of the NRL.

BennyV

Referee
Serious question:

Do you not think the game has evolved a little more with defensive patterns and the defensive reading of the opposition being better? I do.
The line of 'getting your defense right' seems a priority for majority of teams, even our own.
Obviously some do it better than others, but some teams seem like they have 16 on the field. Just an observation...

Of course, but that doesnt mean thay we cant come up with attacking plans to combat it. My biggest issue with our attack (pretty much for the last 4 years) is that we have an attacking plan, and that plan is the plan. And if it doesnt work, try it again. If it still doesnt work, keep going. If other teams read it, keep going. At least, this is how it looks from the outside. It then falls on our playmakers to try and create, but thats nigh on impossible without other players running correct lines, timing etc.

Every defense has a weakness. It could be a single player, an area, a technic or oattern or something. The good coaches will find a way to exploit that with a slight tweak in attacking structure. Eg, the better teams that saw our compressed defence and exploited that. That's the story of thing I'd like to see next year from our attacking coach. I dont know what Millward has been doing, but its not that.

Obviously some teams are more difficult to find a weakness in because they are so damned disciplined. But no defence this side of 2010 has been impenetrable...

hazzbeen

Bench
Of course, but that doesnt mean thay we cant come up with attacking plans to combat it. My biggest issue with our attack (pretty much for the last 4 years) is that we have an attacking plan, and that plan is the plan. And if it doesnt work, try it again. If it still doesnt work, keep going. If other teams read it, keep going. At least, this is how it looks from the outside. It then falls on our playmakers to try and create, but thats nigh on impossible without other players running correct lines, timing etc.

Every defense has a weakness. It could be a single player, an area, a technic or oattern or something. The good coaches will find a way to exploit that with a slight tweak in attacking structure. Eg, the better teams that saw our compressed defence and exploited that. That's the story of thing I'd like to see next year from our attacking coach. I dont know what Millward has been doing, but its not that.

Obviously some teams are more difficult to find a weakness in because they are so damned disciplined. But no defence this side of 2010 has been impenetrable...

Benny said the same thing we have too many set plays they need to look outside the square at times They scored some tries this year that looked ok due to the ball going to ground and playing what was in front of them. As for Millward being a attacking coach , say no more....I did play some league with him on the south coast and I can tell you he is not a person I would have as a attacking coach....

V

Vasilevsky

100% class, can not wait for next year.

Well my opinion on Kurt Mann hasn't changed. If he wants to push Aitken or Matautai out of the centres, he had better improve. Any talk of him pushing Dugan out of fullback is surely some kind of black joke.

Exsilium

First Grade
Well my opinion on Kurt Mann hasn't changed. If he wants to push Aitken or Matautai out of the centres, he had better improve. Any talk of him pushing Dugan out of fullback is surely some kind of black joke.

His defensive reads were appalling last night but green didn't help him by rushing out.

Matautia is still yet to show me solid evidence that he is a regular first grader. Aitken was a consistent improver this year.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
His defensive reads were appalling last night but green didn't help him by rushing out.

Matautia is still yet to show me solid evidence that he is a regular first grader. Aitken was a consistent improver this year.

Spot on about Green. That left hand side was definitely the weaker side last night.

V

Vasilevsky

From what I have seen I can't understand why the club signed him. At first I could only guess the rumors about Widdop wanting out were true and Mann was to replace him.

The homies talking about Dugan making way for Mann at fullback must taking the piss out of others not in on the joke.

Last edited by a moderator:

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
A lot of people talk about a teams spine. On paper ours looks ok, but in reality with have a 9 and a 1 who can't pass the ball. They are hopeless at something that should have been ingrained in them since they started playing as primary school kids.

If we were to sign Robbie Farah, then that would relieve a lot of pressure off Marshall/Widdop and Dugan as he would not have to ball play. But it's likely we won't be getting Farah. And we have signed Mann. And its worth given Mann and Dugan at least a chance to swap positions during a game to vary our attack a little. We sure as hell need to try something, otherwise we are essentially going into next season with the exact same backline.

GC Dragon

Juniors
100% agree Chopper. That's it in a nutshell . Something needs to change attacking wise . Still hopeful we can sign a couple of quality outside backs .

What outside backs do you think the club is going to sign that wiil make a difference.

The most talented ones are already under contract for next year leaving alot of fringe first graders to choose from.

If they happened to sign another outside back and I still think they will don't be surprised if is a NSW Cup or Qld Cup player.

BennyV

Referee

Mata'utia was our best and most consistent outside back all year. Consdering this was his first full year in first grade too, he will only improve next year.

Latest posts