What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New signing Ikahihifo

From what I have seen, that is exactly what he will be for the Dragons. A backline depth player just as Ikahihifo will be a forward depth player.

When Cameron Munster first came to first grade at Melbourne he looked like a depth signing.

After a few games in the top grade he is consistently turning heads.

Time will tell whether Mann consistently plays first grade at Saints.

Suggest you watch him carefully this week.

Unlike our boys, his team is 80 minutes away from a grand final appearance.

If he is good enough for Bellamy, he is good enough for Mary/Saints

FlameThrower

Bench
When Cameron Munster first came to first grade at Melbourne he looked like a depth signing.

After a few games in the top grade he is consistently turning heads.

Time will tell whether Mann consistently plays first grade at Saints.

Suggest you watch him carefully this week.

Unlike our boys, his team is 80 minutes away from a grand final appearance.

Yeah serious??? Next year apparently playing for Cutters, but his current team, playing tomorrow 1 game away from Grand Final, let's see how Kurt Mann goes....

He certainly will play first grade and imo it will be either fullback or centre.

If it means we never have to see Farrell in first grade again I'll be more then happy.

V

Vasilevsky

What utter nonsense. If you replaced Smith with Rein and Cronk with Widdop, the entire St George team would be infinitely better and as is, Melbourne only finished the regular season (was it 4 points?) ahead and didn't have to deal with an injury crisis.

Anyway, I hope I'm wrong about Mann but no one has been able to suggest an NRL game I should watch to show how good he is. A few years ago Farrell and Beale were going to be a great centre combination......:shock:

Having said that, I can only guess anyone who wants to move our best attacking player from his best and preferred position in order to accommodate Kurt Mann is a homie who has been drinking far too much vodka.

Mr Red

First Grade
I'm really looking forward to seeing kurt Mann getting zero clean ball from zero structured attack just like our current centres.

Seriously we could have the two best centres in the game and they would be wasted with our current attack structure...

BennyV

Referee
I'm really looking forward to seeing kurt Mann getting zero clean ball from zero structured attack just like our current centres.

Seriously we could have the two best centres in the game and they would be wasted with our current attack structure...

Yeah, this.

I've said a few times, Mata'utia could be a very destructive centre given the chance. Hes got strength, very good footwork and ballskils - theres been plenty of glimpes throughout the season, but the guy doesnt get decent space to move under our structure of attack.

V

Vasilevsky

I recall one game where where Aitken and Matautai really surprised me by how well they could play when given good passes and a chance at one on one with the enemy centres on a regular basis. That was the one game Widdop didn't play.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Yeah, this.

I've said a few times, Mata'utia could be a very destructive centre given the chance. Hes got strength, very good footwork and ballskils - theres been plenty of glimpes throughout the season, but the guy doesnt get decent space to move under our structure of attack.

Even when we had Gasnier and cooper in the centres, with Barrett/head or Soward/Hornby, a lot complained that they rarely got quality ball. Remember how many times Barrett used to throw that ridiculous inside ball to a forward for a hit up in the middle of the field? At least Bunji tries a few variations on the edges with frizzel.

All due respect to Hornby, but we have not had a genuine 7 since goldthorpe.

hazzbeen

Bench
Even when we had Gasnier and cooper in the centres, with Barrett/head or Soward/Hornby, a lot complained that they rarely got quality ball. Remember how many times Barrett used to throw that ridiculous inside ball to a forward for a hit up in the middle of the field? At least Bunji tries a few variations on the edges with frizzel.

All due respect to Hornby, but we have not had a genuine 7 since goldthorpe.

TOTALLY AGREE and have said this before Goldthorpe was a half back, we seem to have make shift half in recent years...... is this due to the way we have structured or attack and our half is just a link for set plays.....?

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
TOTALLY AGREE and have said this before Goldthorpe was a half back, we seem to have make shift half in recent years...... is this due to the way we have structured or attack and our half is just a link for set plays.....?

Other than Matty Head, not one genuine 7 has been brought through the system to play first grade, in the last 30 years? I don't even think Goldthorpe was a junior, I think he came from the hunter.

V

Vasilevsky

Oh yes and wasn't it infuriating.

I remember I got on here years ago, stating basically that Barrett was a good player and a good running 5/8 but with far better runners outside him (Gasnier and Cooper), was a disaster and had to be dropped. I was roundly denounced.

Then a few years later I got on during supercoach Price's second year saying he had to go, and was roundly denounced.

Now my issue is Widdop. A good player but clearly not a good main playmaker. He needs to take a back seat like he did at Melbourne with Cronk; kick, talk and feed off opportunities Benji creates.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
I remember I got on here years ago, stating basically that Barrett was a good player and a good running 5/8 but with far better runners outside him (Gasnier and Cooper), was a disaster and had to be dropped. I was roundly denounced.

Then a few years later I got on during supercoach Price's second year saying he had to go, and was roundly denounced.

Now my issue is Widdop. A good player but clearly not a good main playmaker. He needs to take a back seat like he did at Melbourne with Cronk; kick, talk and feed off opportunities Benji creates.

Cronk is more of an organising halfback than benji could ever hope to be. Look how much qld missed him last year? He is probably more important to qld than thurston.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Yeah, this.

Serious question:

Do you not think the game has evolved a little more with defensive patterns and the defensive reading of the opposition being better? I do.
The line of 'getting your defense right' seems a priority for majority of teams, even our own.
Obviously some do it better than others, but some teams seem like they have 16 on the field. Just an observation...

Latest posts