What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Te Kaha

First Grade
Geez. Negative much?
Things move forward.
Always have, always will. With or without you.

Reality is Negative???

Just because you have no idea about anything going on in NZ doesn't make it "negative".

You want to have fanciful dreams that's up to you. Just know that's all they ever will be.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Geez. Negative much?
Things move forward.
Always have, always will. With or without you.

It’s not negative, it’s realistic, and coming from people who actually know both the political and sporting landscapes in NZ. We’d all love to see nice new rectangular stadiums in all the main NZ cities. Dunedin got one a few years back. Christchurch is getting one albeit more than a decade after an earthquake wrecked the old one. The current Wellington stadium was a new build not that long ago. But in every case there was both a clear need for a new stadium due to the old one being completely outmoded or unsafe, and a previous stadium site which was sold off to raise some of the capital.

In Wellington’s case it’s not going to happen any time soon because the current stadium is in good condition, optimally located, and services both football codes and cricket reasonably well. The only realistic long term proposition is for it to eventually be rebuilt as a fully roofed rectangular stadium when at the end of its life with cricket returning to the Basin Reserve. But given that it’s only 23 years old that’s not happening any time soon.
Auckland is a different situation with the city having a weird mishmash of stadiums each catering to different sports that are firmly entrenched and don’t want to move. It really needs a full consolidation of the existing venues that would involve at least one of them being sold off and likely several sports moving and likely sharing home bases. But getting all of them to agree, plus councils and the trust that runs Eden Park, will be a huge task. The more likely scenario is Rugby and cricket keep getting funding to patch up Eden park, Mt Smart keeps getting the bare minimum spent to keep it at NRL level, and speedway and horse racing stay where they are because the current venues are at least adequate.

But who knows, with the way the weather has been maybe Auckland will cope a full blown cyclone soon and it’ll blow the roofs off both EP and Mt Smart and the government will only agree to funding if they sell both sites off and build a completely new park. We live in hope…

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
As Te Kaha says, not a chance. The stadium in Wellington isn’t terrible by a long stretch. More chance of Auckland getting a new stadium and that ain’t gonna happen either barring some major unforeseen level of cooperation between all the relevant stakeholders (councils, sports organisations and stadium trusts)
P
It’s not negative, it’s realistic, and coming from people who actually know both the political and sporting landscapes in NZ. We’d all love to see nice new rectangular stadiums in all the main NZ cities. Dunedin got one a few years back. Christchurch is getting one albeit more than a decade after an earthquake wrecked the old one. The current Wellington stadium was a new build not that long ago. But in every case there was both a clear need for a new stadium due to the old one being completely outmoded or unsafe, and a previous stadium site which was sold off to raise some of the capital.

In Wellington’s case it’s not going to happen any time soon because the current stadium is in good condition, optimally located, and services both football codes and cricket reasonably well. The only realistic long term proposition is for it to eventually be rebuilt as a fully roofed rectangular stadium when at the end of its life with cricket returning to the Basin Reserve. But given that it’s only 23 years old that’s not happening any time soon.
Auckland is a different situation with the city having a weird mishmash of stadiums each catering to different sports that are firmly entrenched and don’t want to move. It really needs a full consolidation of the existing venues that would involve at least one of them being sold off and likely several sports moving and likely sharing home bases. But getting all of them to agree, plus councils and the trust that runs Eden Park, will be a huge task.
nz has some decent rectangular stadia

Eden park isn’t that bad. It’s probably better than accor stadium in homebush and we’ve used that for 24 years

we’ve been lucky to have govts commit so much money to new rectangular grounds

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
P

nz has some decent rectangular stadia

Eden park isn’t that bad. It’s probably better than accor stadium in homebush and we’ve used that for 24 years

we’ve been lucky to have govts commit so much money to new rectangular grounds

Decent rectangular stadia in NZ

Dunedin
Waikato
Christchurch when it’s finished

That’s about it really for decent sized grounds.

Eden Park better than Accor? I’ve been to both and it’s debatable.

Wb1234

Referee
Decent rectangular stadia in NZ

Dunedin
Waikato
Christchurch when it’s finished

That’s about it really for decent sized grounds.

We only got the new parra stadium because the wanders soccer team made noises

Allianz has 3 tenants plus loads of other content

though the titans cowboys and new panthers are all political excercises

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
We only got the new parra stadium because the wanders soccer team made noises

Allianz has 3 tenants plus loads of other content

though the titans cowboys and new panthers are all political excercises

Yeah and Sydney is nearly 4x the size of Auckland, with 12 professional rectangular field football sides vs Auckland with 2.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
E

Even north harbour is decent

mt smart isn’t terrible

if it’s over 20k and has 10k seats (and is a rectangle mainly) it’s decent

remember we have leichardt oval kogarah Wollongong and shark park

Define “decent”.

It’s not just about capacity. For example Rotorua had a capacity of 26,000 but only 5000 is grandstand, the rest is concrete terraces and embankments.

The problem Auckland had is all of its stadiums have their advantages and weak points.

North harbour has one grandstand which faces into the weather, and embankments on three sides. And it’s located right out at the wrong end of the city.

Mt Smart has a decent layout but the end stands are just scaffolding and the western stand is ancient. The newest (eastern) grandstand is around 20 years old. It’s fairly centrally located but is in the middle of a heavy industrial area so there’s zero entertainment nearby.

Eden Park is a multi-use cricket/rugby ground that’s been incrementally upgraded over decades. It’s centrally located and near bars/entertainment but also in a residential area so has limits on night games and parking.

Auckland really needs to get rid of a couple of them and build a proper sports precinct. But there’s a LOT of political obstacles to that.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Define “decent”.

It’s not just about capacity. For example Rotorua had a capacity of 26,000 but only 5000 is grandstand, the rest is concrete terraces and embankments.

The problem Auckland had is all of its stadiums have their advantages and weak points.

North harbour has one grandstand which faces into the weather, and embankments on three sides. And it’s located right out at the wrong end of the city.

Mt Smart has a decent layout but the end stands are just scaffolding and the western stand is ancient. The newest (eastern) grandstand is around 20 years old. It’s fairly centrally located but is in the middle of a heavy industrial area so there’s zero entertainment nearby.

Eden Park is a multi-use cricket/rugby ground that’s been incrementally upgraded over decades. It’s centrally located and near bars/entertainment but also in a residential area so has limits on night games and parking.

Auckland really needs to get rid of a couple of them and build a proper sports precinct. But there’s a LOT of political obstacles to that.
I looked at that link

most are decent

Dunedin christchurch are obviously excellent

but Auckland should get one with its size and for the two clubs and all blacks games

ps let’s gone warriors

Matua

Bench
Disagree completely, Homebush is terrible and I've sat everywhere (the top parts and the field level are the worst). Eden Park is great in comparison, even the temporary stand I sat in for the 2011 final was a better viewing experience than I've ever had at Homebush.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Disagree completely, Homebush is terrible and I've sat everywhere (the top parts and the field level are the worst). Eden Park is great in comparison, even the temporary stand I sat in for the 2011 final was a better viewing experience than I've ever had at Homebush.
I think we are setting the stadium bar pretty low if we are using homebush as the measure!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

Yeah for viewing angles at least you’re right, Accor is just too big and too shallowly raked to have a good view from most of it. I’m glad Covid scuppered the half arsed upgrade it was getting. It should’ve been completely rebuilt before the SFS though.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah for viewing angles at least you’re right, Accor is just too big and too shallowly raked to have a good view from most of it. I’m glad Covid scuppered the half arsed upgrade it was getting. It should’ve been completely rebuilt before the SFS though.
Agreed, after shark park and the old NIB stadium, ANZ is by far the worse stadium in Oz I've been to. Went to a game Souths v Sharks there on a night in the rain with 9k people attending, even though they let me in for free it was the worst professional RL experience Ive ever had! And Ive been to games at Batley and Barrow!

And Ive been to games at Batley and Barrow!
Went to Batley many times in the middle of winter when it was decidedly unpleasant. Hunslet were sharing for a time which meant two trips per season. Same happened with Dewsbury later on.

Nowadays Mount Pleasant on a warm sunny day is a completely different experience. Only real downside is that it's still in Yorkshire.