What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

They've also got a nice hairdressers, I mean come on.
Whatever assets the Tigers have, animate or inanimate, are proven fact. All replacement options involve a degree of speculation. Some require dollops of wishful thinking.

Perth has a strong case for the 18th licence. Most of the pertinent proven facts indicate a "speculate to accumulate" calculation.

Brian potter

Bench
Went to Batley many times in the middle of winter when it was decidedly unpleasant. Hunslet were sharing for a time which meant two trips per season. Same happened with Dewsbury later on.

Nowadays Mount Pleasant on a warm sunny day is a completely different experience. Only real downside is that it's still in Yorkshire.
Never had the pleasure of travelling to batley but went to Hunslet when they played at elland rd.

nothing will ever beat standing on the open terrace at derwent park during a Boxing Day west Cumbrian derby clash with the howling wind blowing in from the Irish Sea.

nothing will ever beat standing on the open terrace at derwent park during a Boxing Day west Cumbrian derby clash with the howling wind blowing in from the Irish Sea.
Once saw the most graphic enlightenment for those slow learners who don't understand the difference between forward out of the hands and forward relative to the ground at an amateur game on the Cumbrian coast.

Twas blowing a hoolie, dummy-half passed the ball 2 metres backwards, wind took hold and it landed about 30 metres downfield and went into touch. They lost possession, but the attempted pass was perfectly legal.

Brian potter

Bench
Once saw the most graphic enlightenment for those slow learners who don't understand the difference between forward out of the hands and forward relative to the ground at an amateur game on the Cumbrian coast.

Twas blowing a hoolie, dummy-half passed the ball 2 metres backwards, wind took hold and it landed about 30 metres downfield and went into touch. They lost possession, but the attempted pass was perfectly legal.
Haha!!

This said game didn’t take place at Kells by any chance did it?

The welfare pitch or the pit pitch overlooking the Irish Sea?
Overlooking the sea.

There's a RL ground in the Illawarra reminds me of Kells. Might be Kiama. The Irish water isn't quite as blue.

This thread is supposed to be about NZ 2. I'll crowbar it back on topic by observing that some of the more attractive landscapes on the South Island are reminiscent of Cumbria.

Brian potter

Bench
Overlooking the sea.

There's a RL ground in the Illawarra reminds me of Kells. Might be Kiama. The Irish water isn't quite as blue.

This thread is supposed to be about NZ 2. I'll crowbar it back on topic by observing that some of the more attractive landscapes on the South Island are reminiscent of Cumbria.
Haha!!

no worries. I played on that pitch as a kid and grew up in a house that backs onto the pitch.

The views over the Irish Sea on a clear day are stunning with the Isle of Man and south west Scotland clearly visible.

The only way we'll increase the value of the broadcast rights and sponsorship deals is by adding teams to Adelaide and Perth.
That is only true if they are popular. It's hard to believe the Giants and Suns add much to the value of AFL broadcast deals. If they do, it's merely through the crude measure of extra content, which would accrue just the same from a team in Tas and a third in Perth.

You could be right in the sense that NRL viewership might already be at saturation point in NSW and QLD. New viewers might only be available in AFL States and NZ.

The Dolphins will shed light on whether there are more eyeballs within the existing geographic footprint, the sort who only watch Origin or GF, prepared to regularly follow NRL. If they deliver figures similar to the Broncos, will that be at the expense of lower ratings for other clubs? Meaning no increase in overall aggregate.

Analysis of Dolphins TV ratings will inform the decision on where to go to set up a ninth weekly game. Because of the undeniable correlation between playing performance and ratings, one year's data (maybe several years' data) will not suffice.

One question often neglected in debates around the pros and cons of growth is whether the on-field NRL product is currently fit for expansion. Most changes and applications of rules seem designed to increase the frequency and speed with which one bloke smashes into three other blokes. Administrators must think there's an insatiable appetite for bash and crash.

I think supporters, and more to the point prospective supporters, want greater diversity and less predictability.

The way the game is played is largely determined by officials and coaches. Both these groups operate in the grip of various media-induced neuroses. Teams who take risks are often punished. Players who take risks are often derided. Might be an idea to address the effects of all this on the product before placing it more prominently in front of audiences in Perth and Adelaide.

Colk

First Grade
That is only true if they are popular. It's hard to believe the Giants and Suns add much to the value of AFL broadcast deals. If they do, it's merely through the crude measure of extra content, which would accrue just the same from a team in Tas and a third in Perth.

You could be right in the sense that NRL viewership might already be at saturation point in NSW and QLD. New viewers might only be available in AFL States and NZ.

The Dolphins will shed light on whether there are more eyeballs within the existing geographic footprint, the sort who only watch Origin or GF, prepared to regularly follow NRL. If they deliver figures similar to the Broncos, will that be at the expense of lower ratings for other clubs? Meaning no increase in overall aggregate.

Analysis of Dolphins TV ratings will inform the decision on where to go to set up a ninth weekly game. Because of the undeniable correlation between playing performance and ratings, one year's data (maybe several years' data) will not suffice.

One question often neglected in debates around the pros and cons of growth is whether the on-field NRL product is currently fit for expansion. Most changes and applications of rules seem designed to increase the frequency and speed with which one bloke smashes into three other blokes. Administrators must think there's an insatiable appetite for bash and crash.

I think supporters, and more to the point prospective supporters, want greater diversity and less predictability.

The way the game is played is largely determined by officials and coaches. Both these groups operate in the grip of various media-induced neuroses. Teams who take risks are often punished. Players who take risks are often derided. Might be an idea to address the effects of all this on the product before placing it more prominently in front of audiences in Perth and Adelaide.

I think you have some salient points and I don’t think the Suns and Giants are very popular; however, there are a few points that need to be made:

1. League ratings are going up not down. That would suggest that whilst the product could improve (last year’s quality was a considerable improvement on 2021) people seem to be relatively happy with the product. It is also rating higher than the AFL.

2. I would add that their TV deals have been greater for a long time. Some of that probably correlates with longer games however a factor would also having popular teams in every metro city market (the Swans and Lions have been on the other hand a success for them)