What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Now you’re doing a Perth red trolling an expansion thread to put your own one first

you were a fan of nz2 until recently what happened
I'm not anti-NZ2. I'd like New Zealand to have three teams some day. Doesn't change the fact the Warriors are second last on the table for revenue generation from football operations.

How can you not be concerned by thar?

After all the hype I've heard on here about RL taking over RU in NZ over the last 18 months, the figures released by the media are a stark reminder that our game has a long way to go before its in the same ballpark. It proves the people who've doubted the hype aren't "union trolls" and were right all along.

We need to be realistic and base our arguments on the evidence at hand and not let emotion cloud our judgement. Too many people are guilty of basing their opinion on expansion around what they prefer, rather than what's realistic.

Wb1234

Referee
I'm not anti-NZ2. I'd like New Zealand to have three teams some day. Doesn't change the fact the Warriors are second last on the table for revenue generation from football operations.

How can you not be concerned by thar?

After all the hype I've heard on here about RL taking over RU in NZ over the last 18 months, the figures released by the media are a stark reminder that our game has a long way to go before its in the same ballpark. It proves the people who've doubted the hype aren't "union trolls" and were right all along.

We need to be realistic and base our arguments on the evidence at hand and not let emotion cloud our judgement. Too many people are guilty of basing their opinion on expansion around what they prefer, rather than what's realistic.

a Christchurch rugby league club will have the second most revenue out of any rugby club in nz

stop being greedy Brisbane just got the dolphins nz deserves a second side before Brisbane 3

just ignore him, he's unhinged. I noticed he's now attacking the Warriors lol he's anti everywhere except QLD.
Pointing out that the Warriors are second last on revenue generation from football operations isn't an attack. You just don't want to hear any truth that doesn't support your anti-Qld agenda.

Please pack your bags and f**k off back to Canberra.

a Christchurch rugby league club will have the second most revenue out of any rugby club in nz

stop being greedy Brisbane just got the dolphins nz deserves a second side before Brisbane 3
What evidence do you have it will be the second richest "rugby" team in New Zealand?

There's nothing greedy about wanting Brisbane to have adequate representation with rich teams that have earnt their spot in the top grade over 100 years of hard work.

What's greedy is people from Sydney trying to limit Brisbane to two teams when they have nine, with around half of theirs being tiny and poorer than the Titans.

New Zealand doesn't even have a national competition of any note due to the game's low profile.

Elon Musk is poor then lol. Of course football revenue, which means nothing vs profit and assets, is going to be less in a small city.
How do you explain the Cowboys generating almost twice as much revenue than the Raiders from football operations?

Townsville is a smaller regional city than Canberra.

Cowboys
$22.7m

Raiders
$12.4m

You made the dumbarse claim that football revenue is going to be smaller for a team based in a smaller city. Townsville is probably the smallest city to host an NRL team, yet its football revenue is better than all bar four clubs. Auckland is larger than Camberra, yet the Warriors are second last.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Yep, and if NPC loses it's distinct window & becomes a competition that's running "in the background" while an extended Super Rugby and/or champions league and/or tests happen (like how local club rugby runs "in the background" currently during Super Rugby), well.. it gets interesting.

With a "in the background" NPC (especially if the money drops a lot) provincial-tier & young up-and-coming RU players COULD be tempted to switch to league, if a reasonable-profile, reasonable-paying pathway or league happens.

Whether that's a higher profile NRL reserve grade or state leagues, or a national NZ competition, who knows... but NZ Rugby downgrading NPC to "upgrade" Super Rugby/Tests CERTAINLY opens some doors - and it's up to RL to walk right through them.
The NPC has playing in the shadows for the last 20 years or so.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
How do you explain the Cowboys generating almost twice as much revenue than the Raiders from football operations?

Townsville is a smaller regional city than Canberra.

Cowboys
$22.7m

Raiders
$12.4m

You made the dumbarse claim that football revenue is going to be smaller for a team based in a smaller city. Townsville is probably the smallest city to host an NRL team, yet its football revenue is better than all bar four clubs. Auckland is larger than Camberra, yet the Warriors are second last.

Fair point. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Now about your claim the Raiders are a poor club.

Wb1234

Referee
Elon Musk is poor then lol. Of course football revenue, which means nothing vs profit and assets, is going to be less in a small city.
What evidence do you have it will be the second richest "rugby" team in New Zealand?

There's nothing greedy about wanting Brisbane to have adequate representation with rich teams that have earnt their spot in the top grade over 100 years of hard work.

What's greedy is people from Sydney trying to limit Brisbane to two teams when they have nine, with around half of theirs being tiny and poorer than the Titans.

New Zealand doesn't even have a national competition of any note due to the game's low profile.
hahha ok Perth red

flippikat

Bench
The NPC has playing in the shadows for the last 20 years or so.
Partially.

The early rounds of NPC coincide with the last few weeks of a test-match window (Basically overlapping in August), but September-October has generally been a clear space for the NPC to play out the end of it's regular season & the playoffs.

That's still some opportunity to have decent media coverage without having to push past internationals & Super Rugby.. and plenty of scope for Super Rugby standard players to go back to their provinces & play for teams in Tauranga, Whangarei, Palmerston North or Invercargill.

Lessening or removing that clear space in September/October will mean less media coverage and potentially even less opportunity for Super Rugby players to play NPC

Dark Corner

Juniors
Partially.

The early rounds of NPC coincide with the last few weeks of a test-match window (Basically overlapping in August), but September-October has generally been a clear space for the NPC to play out the end of it's regular season & the playoffs.

That's still some opportunity to have decent media coverage without having to push past internationals & Super Rugby.. and plenty of scope for Super Rugby standard players to go back to their provinces & play for teams in Tauranga, Whangarei, Palmerston North or Invercargill.

Lessening or removing that clear space in September/October will mean less media coverage and potentially even less opportunity for Super Rugby players to play NPC
The NPC reminds me of the Welsh Rugby Union Premiership when once it was the be all and end of top flight club Rugby with decent crowds and now in Wales no one watches it alongside the so called merged regions and Club Soccer is king.

I would love to know how the ARL would of looked if the Super League war never happened.
The 1995 expansion clubs would have folded. A few Sydney clubs would have folded, too. The broadcast deal with Packer ran to 2000 and only provided $10m per annum. Each club got a grant of $500k and had a salary cap of $1.8m.

I suspect we would have lost the following clubs.

Auckland Warriors
Balmain Tigers
Gold Coast Chargers
Illawarra Steelers
North Queensland Cowboys
North Sydney Bears
Penrith Panthers
South Queensland Crushers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies
Western Reds

It was the wrong time to expand.

Fair point. I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Now about your claim the Raiders are a poor club.
Raiders are definitely an asset rich club. They recently sold some assets in Logan and Toowoomba.

Where the Raiders struggle is acquiring support from the corporate sector. A new stadium with better corporate facilities might help them earn more money, but needs approval from the ACT and fed gov.

If an AwFuL club is introduced in Canberra then it could take corporate support away from the Raiders.

When you add in assets then Raiders are not a poor club.

Wb1234

Referee
The 1995 expansion clubs would have folded. A few Sydney clubs would have folded, too. The broadcast deal with Packer ran to 2000 and only provided $10m per annum. Each club got a grant of $500k and had a salary cap of $1.8m.

Auckland Warriors
Balmain Tigers
Gold Coast Chargers
Illawarra Steelers
North Queensland Cowboys
North Sydney Bears
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies
Western Reds

If you go back to the nswrl any club that was admitted was basically broke for 20 years

Cronulla would’ve died off and norths to the central coast

this was before wages went super league crazy

If you go back to the nswrl any club that was admitted was basically broke for 20 years

Cronulla would’ve died off and norths to the central coast

this was before wages went super league crazy
Clubs were struggling before News Ltd inflated contracts. The expansion clubs struggled with covering the flight and accommodation expenses for their opponents.

Cowboys made the mistake of undercharging their season tickets and corporate boxes. It didn't help that they had to take out a loan to build a stadium.

Arthurson and Quayle should have waited until 2000 before expanding. They rushed it because they wanted to teach the Broncos a lesson. At the same time they allowed Sydney bosses to place unfair burdens on the expansion clubs that bankrupted them. It was done wrong and created the perfect conditions for News Ltd to start up a rebel competition. No one was innocent.

Diesel

Referee

Auckland Warriors
Balmain Tigers
Gold Coast Chargers
Illawarra Steelers
North Queensland Cowboys
North Sydney Bears
Penrith Panthers
South Sydney Rabbitohs
St George Dragons
Western Suburbs Magpies
Western Reds

1995 should’ve been two clubs as it was originally planned. Auckland and NQ from memory

Wb1234

Referee
Clubs were struggling before News Ltd inflated contracts. The expansion clubs struggled with covering the flight and accommodation expenses for their opponents.

Cowboys made the mistake of undercharging their season tickets and corporate boxes. It didn't help that they had to take out a loan to build a stadium.

Arthurson and Quayle should have waited until 2000 before expanding. They rushed it because they wanted to teach the Broncos a lesson. At the same time they allowed Sydney bosses to place unfair burdens on the expansion clubs that bankrupted them. It was done wrong and created the perfect conditions for News Ltd to start up a rebel competition. No one was innocent.
Is that you John ribot

I heard they were planning on Melbourne in 2000 to replace wests

arko said his biggest mistake was not admitting two Brisbane clubs at once but they wanted to ensure the Brisbane club was strong

if super league never happened we would already control the pacific and be looking at genuine international expansion (America France and sorting out England)

Latest posts