What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Back when the warratahs used to get crowds over 30k I was using a consultant in business who was an ex wallaby he kept trying to get me to go to super rugby games and I always passed

never been to a game in my life and can’t remember watching more than five mins of super rugby and a few tests when Wendell was playing

the sport bores me to tears I’d rather watch afl or soccer if I had too (been to one a league game I fell asleep in a corporate box, the other was an afl finals game where Sydney went to the grand final and was bored shtless)

I want to a private school too league was banned yet just about everyone was a league fan anyway

my family has always been staunch rugby league fans my uncle sponsored the tigers for 30 years
There's no better game than RL.

Tribalism at its best.

Wb1234

Referee
Kind of good news I guess.

“Mayor Mauger said, “I want Christchurch to be the sporting events capital of New Zealand, and if an NRL team helps achieve that, it’s fantastic. It will provide more use for our stadium.”

hardly a ringing endorsement for rugby league

Wb1234

Referee
The biggest concern for NZ2 is financial security. The Warriors are poorer than every club bar the Sea Eagles.
Still nrl grant is enough and richer than any super rugby club will have to spend

Epically if clubs gets that extra 2 million in funding

19.5 million Aussie dollars is around 21 million in kiwi dollars whilst for the kiwi super rugby union sides would be half that number

Wb1234

Referee
r/rugbyunion2 days ago
stickyswitch92
Join

Regular season attendances for the NZ super rugby teams (minus Blues)​

Graciously stolen from the Myth of Damien Mckenzie FB page.

Quick maths for average attendance + (stadium capacity): Highlanders - 12.5k (31k) Crusaders - 12.7k (17.1k) Chiefs - 14.2k (25.8k) Hurricanes - 13.8k (34.5k)
All teams have only 6 home games apart from the Blues who had 8, but I think one was counted as a MP home game and a game in Whangarei. Hurricanes also played one game in New Plymouth.

Still nrl grant is enough and richer than any super rugby club will have to spend

Epically if clubs gets that extra 2 million in funding

19.5 million Aussie dollars is around 21 million in kiwi dollars whilst for the kiwi super rugby union sides would be half that number
They'll still be tiny compared to the larger clubs in Brisbane and Sydney.

I'm astonished by how rich the Queensland clubs are compared to everyone else. Despite their wealth, we've got simpletons on here opposed to Brisbane 3 and pushing for unwanted teams in markets that don't have the infrastructure to support a team.

I hear a lot of bullshit death riding of the Titans by people who don't want a third Brisbane team. Let's be honest. Titans are richer than several clubs from Sydney, Warriors and Raiders.

Wb1234

Referee
They'll still be tiny compared to the larger clubs in Brisbane and Sydney.

I'm astonished by how rich the Queensland clubs are compared to everyone else. Despite their wealth, we've got simpletons on here opposed to Brisbane 3 and pushing for unwanted teams in markets that don't have the infrastructure to support a team.

I hear a lot of bullshit death riding of the Titans by people who don't want a third Brisbane team. Let's be honest. Titans are richer than several clubs from Sydney, Warriors and Raiders.
Wahs have no problems competing in the nrl

their talent imo is above Aussie players it’s just they need the training and playing against the best Aussie teams from under 16 to get mentally on a level to compete in the nrl

flippikat

Bench
The tough part is NPC & club rugby.

At the moment, the NZ rugby season is finely balanced & everything has a window - but if Super Rugby & tests take more of the calendar, those lower levels may well see their profile & status eroded which has HUGE implications for the base of NZ's RU pyramid.

Wb1234

Referee
The tough part is NPC & club rugby.

At the moment, the NZ rugby season is finely balanced & everything has a window - but if Super Rugby & tests take more of the calendar, those lower levels may well see their profile & status eroded which has HUGE implications for the base of NZ's RU pyramid.
Also from a cost pov they can’t afford to keep funding levels at current

most of that private equity money had already gone

final say

Juniors
Cowboys generate about $22m from sponsorship, corporate hospitality, merchandise, membership and ticketing. Warriors generate half of that from the exact same metrics.
What is it with you and money dude.
It's a game. If there's enough money to send a team out on the field at a decent stadium and perform that beautiful art of Rugby league, that's all that matters.
Money is the root of all evil and if you let it define everything, it will kill Rugby league.

flippikat

Bench
Also from a cost pov they can’t afford to keep funding levels at current

most of that private equity money had already gone
Yep, and if NPC loses it's distinct window & becomes a competition that's running "in the background" while an extended Super Rugby and/or champions league and/or tests happen (like how local club rugby runs "in the background" currently during Super Rugby), well.. it gets interesting.

With a "in the background" NPC (especially if the money drops a lot) provincial-tier & young up-and-coming RU players COULD be tempted to switch to league, if a reasonable-profile, reasonable-paying pathway or league happens.

Whether that's a higher profile NRL reserve grade or state leagues, or a national NZ competition, who knows... but NZ Rugby downgrading NPC to "upgrade" Super Rugby/Tests CERTAINLY opens some doors - and it's up to RL to walk right through them.

Wb1234

Referee
Yep, and if NPC loses it's distinct window & becomes a competition that's running "in the background" while an extended Super Rugby and/or champions league and/or tests happen (like how local club rugby runs "in the background" currently during Super Rugby), well.. it gets interesting.

With a "in the background" NPC (especially if the money drops a lot) provincial-tier & young up-and-coming RU players COULD be tempted to switch to league, if a reasonable-profile, reasonable-paying pathway or league happens.

Whether that's a higher profile NRL reserve grade or state leagues, or a national NZ competition, who knows... but NZ Rugby downgrading NPC to "upgrade" Super Rugby/Tests CERTAINLY opens some doors - and it's up to RL to walk right through them.
Such a good time for a second nz nrl side to fill this void and benefit from that playing base