What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Hopefully the NRL still have NZ2 in mind for one of the expansion teams.

With all this talk about Brisbane bids, NZ2 is *extremely* low-profile by comparison... and even though the NRL's deliberation is happening behind closed-doors, the power of the media & online narrative can't be overlooked.
Online narrative means 0

flippikat

Bench
Online narrative means 0
Well you'd think, BUT....

MEDIA stories have a decent amount of weight (and thus can gain momentum) to influence decision making - I mean, just look at how News Ltd is pretty much creaming over the Western Bears bid, which echoes through social media & bounces back and forth between big media & social - in a kind of ping-pong.

Next cab off the rank, media reports start talking about the Ipswich/Newtown Jets bid - and sure enough THAT starts taking off online.

Long story short, news stories & forums are intertwined, and bounce off each other.

flippikat

Bench
Sharing from the Jerseys/logos thread - the South Island Kea have a new bid logo!

Great to see some actual update from one of the NZ bids.

The new logo is featured on their refreshed website which talks about playing home games in Christchurch, Dunedin, Nelson and Invercargill.

Their Facebook page hasn't been updated for the new look just yet.

Attachments

• IMG_3258.jpeg
    IMG_3258.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 12

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Well you'd think, BUT....

MEDIA stories have a decent amount of weight (and thus can gain momentum) to influence decision making - I mean, just look at how News Ltd is pretty much creaming over the Western Bears bid, which echoes through social media & bounces back and forth between big media & social - in a kind of ping-pong.

Next cab off the rank, media reports start talking about the Ipswich/Newtown Jets bid - and sure enough THAT starts taking off online.

Long story short, news stories & forums are intertwined, and bounce off each other.
What happens on here means nothing.

Matt_CBY

Juniors
Sharing from the Jerseys/logos thread - the South Island Kea have a new bid logo!

Great to see some actual update from one of the NZ bids.

The new logo is featured on their refreshed website which talks about playing home games in Christchurch, Dunedin, Nelson and Invercargill.

Their Facebook page hasn't been updated for the new look just yet.

Original logo looked better

@Wb1234 your favourite journo has written a sobering article for NZ rugby union supporters.

Pretty sure its the first time (?) someone from the NZ rugby media has admitted NZ2 could be problematic for the code if NZR dont sort their shit out.

BuffaloRules

Coach

@Wb1234 your favourite journo has written a sobering article for NZ rugby union supporters.

Pretty sure it’s itthe first time (?) someone from the NZ rugby media has admitted NZ2 could be problematic for the code if NZR dont sort their shit out.

He is implying NZ2 out of Christchurch is basically across the line… I hope that is the case but not sure where he is getting that from …

Gobsmacked

Bench

Wb1234

Immortal

Pretty sure its the first time (?) someone from the NZ rugby media has admitted NZ2 could be problematic for the code if NZR dont sort their shit out.
Unions fate in nz is still good but they need to make a viable super rugby comp

if they tie their future to Australia then the battle is a lot easier for league

whether it’s Japan Argentina America or South African teams in super rugby I have no idea

the nrl now is just recovering from super league war it’s got decades of growth

maybe one day nz could have four nrl teams. It might be more than two

but the governance of the arlc needs to change and the nzrl are a basket case

If the warriors keep selling out it only helps the cause

as the leagues flagship team in nz being poor for so long doesn’t help the sport

Last edited:
Good article, thanks for sharing.

I enjoy both codes so while it was good see a long time union journo finally acknowledge the strength of RL here, it was very sobering to read it in the context of, and compared to, RU's struggles here.

Something Paul doesnt touch on is NZ and SA's recent agreement to re-establish full tours. Its being reported as a return to good old days, and a significant money spinner... which it is, and as a fan I cant wait. But under the surface, its also indicative of the code's fragmented approach to revenue growth, and yet another example of the self-interest inherent amongst the major unions.

Because while its great news for SA and NZ, it freezes out their SANZAAR partners by diluting the Rugby Championship schedule during tour years. RA has been offered an ANZAC test at least, but dunno what (if anything) Argentina will get in return. They'll both be fking pissed. Not exactly great for a partnership meant to present a unified SH front against similarly self centered NH unions.

So mixed emotions if I'm honest. But cant deny any of it. Even the AB's are struggling under a coach who (IMO) is woefully out of his depth. Hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.

Gobsmacked

Bench
I enjoy both codes so while it was good see a long time union journo finally acknowledge the strength of RL here, it was very sobering to read it in the context of, and compared to, RU's struggles here.

Something Paul doesnt touch on is NZ and SA's recent agreement to re-establish full tours. Its being reported as a return to good old days, and a significant money spinner... which it is, and as a fan I cant wait. But under the surface, its also indicative of the code's fragmented approach to revenue growth, and yet another example of the self-interest inherent amongst the major unions.

Because while its great news for SA and NZ, it freezes out their SANZAAR partners by diluting the Rugby Championship schedule during tour years. RA has been offered an ANZAC test at least, but dunno what (if anything) Argentina will get in return. They'll both be fking pissed. Not exactly great for a partnership meant to present a unified SH front against similarly self centered NH unions.

So mixed emotions if I'm honest. But cant deny any of it. Even the AB's are struggling under a coach who (IMO) is woefully out of his depth. Hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at the moment.
I had to go back to the first few pages from nearly 2 years ago now that I started this thread. The polarisation that it created was as big as anything on this forum but the premise holds true and has become more clear recently how correct it was.

Most kiwis do enjoy both and that is the exact reason why the NRL are in the box seat to capture the imagination of the general public in NZ:
It has a superior product that's only getting better. It has a revenue stream which is only getting more lucrative , a competition that is only getting bigger and a fan base that is growing rapidly. The exact opposite can be said for Union right across the pacific with the exception of Fiji.
Rugby Union and the All blacks will always be big in NZ, ...but with the inclusion of a second team in NZ , a chat about sport at work, a meet at the pub to watch a game, the reason you paid for a sports package and the household names... that will be NRL.
NZ will be a firmly Rugby league nation.

Gobsmacked

Bench

If you were ever to see a more direct win League had over Union:
Melbourne..
Storm favourites to win the comp
SOO held in Melbourne

Rebels fold
Super round in Melbourne selved

NRL have secured Melbourne as AFL's only competitors.

Gobsmacked

Bench
FFS, we've been trying to tell you this for two years without success and now you're making out like it's your idea.

Comedy gold.
Hahaha ah no: I've been trying to tell you that there's a preference line, while you have been trying to claim that everyone is completely ambiguous... that you still maintain??
Now that's comedy!
And while I have you in the comedy section, please visit the start of the thread where you are insisting that League is struggling and Union all hunky dory..and if you believe anything else...well, you simply couldn't understand because you're not from NZ .lol

Wb1234

Immortal
Hahaha ah no: I've been trying to tell you that there's a preference line, while you have been trying to claim that everyone is completely ambiguous... that you still maintain??
Now that's comedy!
And while I have you in the comedy section, please visit the start of the thread where you are insisting that League is struggling and Union all hunky dory..and if you believe anything else...well, you simply couldn't understand because you're not from NZ .lol
Bumping all these previous comments would be hella funny

ie sky are going to cut the nz tv deal
Chch is no chance at a second team
Rl juniors are collapsing
Warriors crowds will fall if they don’t make the finals

comedy gold