What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Zealand 2 will deal a massive blow to NZ rugby

flippikat

First Grade
My moneys on none if them if they don't unite, PVL wants heritage, so the junior club is the forerunner, problem is, probably has zero funds in comparison to the other 2
so... Perth Bears (Owned & run by some combination of Norths, WA Govt & the NRL itself) & Christchurch Jets (Newtown and/or NRL owned & operated) if nothing that was on the table a week ago is palatable to the NRL anymore ??

Matiunz

Juniors
Take it with a grain of salt as it’s impossible for me to prove but-
was at an event about 2 months ago (just before the bears/Perth was a ‘done deal’) and got told by someone that worked for the NRL I met through a mutual friend that NZ 2 was going to be team 19(came up when I was chatting about Warriors) I assumed that meant Perth was team 18 but was told then that they had missed out ‘for now’ as the PNG money was too good to turn down (PNG team 18)
I didn’t mention it at the time as any further information would identify the person and I didn’t want to drop them in it, secondly without identifying them ‘mutual friend’ was a pretty shaky ‘source’.
Also if the past couple of months has proven things change very quickly but I was surprised that they seemed to be leaning that way.

Wb1234

Immortal
Take it with a grain of salt as it’s impossible for me to prove but-
was at an event about 2 months ago (just before the bears/Perth was a ‘done deal’) and got told by someone that worked for the NRL I met through a mutual friend that NZ 2 was going to be team 19(came up when I was chatting about Warriors) I assumed that meant Perth was team 18 but was told then that they had missed out ‘for now’ as the PNG money was too good to turn down (PNG team 18)
I didn’t mention it at the time as any further information would identify the person and I didn’t want to drop them in it, secondly without identifying them ‘mutual friend’ was a pretty shaky ‘source’.
Also if the past couple of months has proven things change very quickly but I was surprised that they seemed to be leaning that way.
I still expect the Perth bid to be revived as team 18 but even that chat shows nz for team 20 is a very strong chance

We really don’t know how good or bad the kiwi bids are

Maximus

Coach
We don't know how any of those bids stack up today but I will say David Moffitt in very well connected and the Kea redesigned their logo just before they came under the NDA .
Having spent years in the top administrative role, he'll know exactly what they are looking for.
My money is on the Kea.

If his connections are so great, why does he need a fan funding model? Surely all those connections could put up enough money?

flippikat

First Grade
I still expect the Perth bid to be revived as team 18 but even that chat shows nz for team 20 is a very strong chance

We really don’t know how good or bad the kiwi bids are
Compared to the very public details on Perth, PNG & to a degree that Ipswich/Newtown bid, the field of NZ bids have been conspicuously WATERTIGHT as far as any details & updates go.

That shows they're taking the non disclosure aspect extremely seriously, which surely has to make an impression on the NRL.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Compared to the very public details on Perth, PNG & to a degree that Ipswich/Newtown bid, the field of NZ bids have been conspicuously WATERTIGHT as far as any details & updates go.

That shows they're taking the non disclosure aspect extremely seriously, which surely has to make an impression on the NRL.

Andrew Webster , one of the SMH journos said the other day one of the other bids had offered to pay a license fee….. ( other than PNG apparently) …

How much wasnt mentioned …. Now we know it wasn’t Perth, and rumours that the Jets declined as well …so likely one of the NZ bids ?

Gobsmacked

Bench

I said this from the beginning.
This is how you conduct yourself in business, it's called respect.

Wb1234

Immortal
Andrew Webster , one of the SMH journos said the other day one of the other bids had offered to pay a license fee….. ( other than PNG apparently) …

How much wasnt mentioned …. Now we know it wasn’t Perth, and rumours that the Jets declined as well …so likely one of the NZ bids ?

Yeh that would change things a lot if an Nz bid did that

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I will say this. If WA wasn’t being line up then this whole thing wouldn’t be being played out in the media (and therefore immense pressure being applied to relevant parties) how it is.

PNG followed a similar trend. Their bid was essentially sunk in May/June and it played out in the media to get more funding by July/August. The fact no one is genuinely talking about NZ2 or Brisbane 3 especially people in regarded positions of power speaks volumes.

When you start hearing PVL, ARLC or media in general start ramping up the other bids to an almost daily occurrence than you know those bids are getting close. Getting the NZ Prime Minister or QLD premier involved in those bids wouldn’t hurt. There’s a clear pattern also happening there…

BuffaloRules

Coach
I will say this. If WA wasn’t being line up then this whole thing wouldn’t be being played out in the media (and therefore immense pressure being applied to relevant parties) how it is.

PNG followed a similar trend. Their bid was essentially sunk in May/June and it played out in the media to get more funding by July/August. The fact no one is genuinely talking about NZ2 or Brisbane 3 especially people in regarded positions of power speaks volumes.

When you start hearing PVL, ARLC or media in general start ramping up the other bids to an almost daily occurrence than you know those bids are getting close.

They are looking for three teams right? ….

the fact that no one is discussing these other bids in the media doesn’t mean anything …

Surprisingly for Rugby League, no one is leaking details …

The Western Bears bid went from media driven certainties to out of the running in less than 48 hours…even though the bid was formally submitted 2 months earlier

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
They are looking for three teams right? ….

the fact that no one is discussing these other bids in the media doesn’t mean anything …

Surprisingly for Rugby League, no one is leaking details …

The Western Bears bid went from media driven certainties to out of the running in less than 48 hours…even though the bid was formally submitted 2 months earlier
Yes and it’s PVL who is driving the media chat right now. Like he did with PNG in May/June. Hence I said people in power… I wasn’t talking about random journos.

The fact PVL isn’t talking about them does mean something. There’s patterns in how he does things. Stop, take a breather and pay attention to it.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yes and it’s PVL who is driving the media chat right now. Like he did with PNG in May/June. Hence I said people in power… I wasn’t talking about random journos.

The fact PVL isn’t talking about them does mean something. There’s patterns in how he does things. Stop, take a breather and pay attention to it.

Right now ..meaning since Sunday … before that the media had been saying the Bears were over the line for months and this was what I’m pushing back on.. the media doesnt know much … most articles are just rehashes of what was originally reported months ago

When you start hearing PVL, ARLC or media in general start ramping up the other bids to an almost daily occurrence than you know those bids are getting close. Getting the NZ Prime Minister or QLD premier involved in those bids wouldn’t hurt. There’s a clear pattern also happening there…

Take a breather …the media been talking shit for 18 months

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Right now ..meaning since Sunday … before that the media had been saying the Bears were over the line for months and this was what I’m pushing back on.. the media doesnt know much … most articles are just rehashes of what was originally reported months ago

Take a breather …the media been talking shit for 18 months
I’m not talking about what’s happened in the past and was based on rumour. I’m talking about how this is being played out right now with PVL driving it (hence people in power).

He is the one openly saying WA will get a team with WA Government and Bears. He is the one driving this and if WA was dead in the water why would personally drive it?

Same thing happened to PNG. When it looked substandard as far as promised funding goes it was him who personally made comments in the media. He drove the narrative.

It seems when he wants something done or to change, he personally gets on the front foot (ie Sunday, ie Monday, ie Tuesday and ie Wednesday all gone) and discusses what needs to happen.

All the things that have happened before this week AFAIC are completely irrelevant now and why you’re bringing up, I don’t know. It’s a moot point. All I’m saying is it’s evidently clear he is pushing hard for a WA Bears of some description and if that ship had sailed as far as pecking order goes then he would instead turn his attention to other locations/bids. But he hasn’t.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
I’m not talking about what’s happened in the past and was based on rumour. I’m talking about how this is being played out right now with PVL driving it (hence people in power).

He is the one openly saying WA will get a team with WA Government and Bears. He is the one driving this and if WA was dead in the water why would be personally drive it?

Same thing happened to PNG. When it looked substandard as far as promised funding goes it was him who personally made comments in the media. He drove the narrative.

It seems when he wants something done or to change, he personally gets on the front foot (ie Sunday, ie Monday, ie Tuesday and ie Wednesday all gone) and discusses what needs to happen.

All the things that have happened before this week AFAIC are completely irrelevant now and why you’re bringing up, I don’t know. It’s a moot point.

I am saying ( in respect of the other bids) that because things are not being reported in the media , we can’t just say that means they arent being considered … What has occurred the past few months in respect of the western bears bid is proof of that … your original post I responded to mentioned the media along with PVL…. My point is they have been wrong time and again over this process …and peopke shouldn’t read too much into what they say/arent saying

Of course PVL is going to know what is going on… he is the one making the decisions!

Latest posts